DirecTV Cancelled & Reported to Collections

539 of 557 Directv Reviews
Apr 21, 2008
review #118622

Had DirecTV for 6 years.The reason I cancelled is because of their High Definition scam.

I received these so called 80+ channels. Without notice, they turned a bunch of them (the popular ones) into pay channels. They told me they posted it on their website. I told them I am never on the website, how about an email, or phone call.

They had no answer for that one. So I decided to cancel my service and use my local cable provider. I called to pay my past due and prorate charge, they told me that I could not, and that when you cancel, it would be automatically withdrawn. Well 2 months later, I received a call from collections agency for a "past due balance"?!?

When confronting Directv supervisor, thay said I have to write a letter (no phone #) to dispute my bill. I think they do this to add late charges to your account.

They are one of the largest scam artists when it comes to cancelling services.

6787c05
4.6
Had an experience with Directv?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
James

Dec 10, 2011 Baden, Niederosterreich

Direct Tv never informed me about there cancellation fee.. I got there service through the phone.. i cancelled it between 3 days because i did not like it.. Guess what they send me a bill to pay $443.10. I told them i won't pay it.. they put it into collection to damage my credit. After 5 month.. collection call me to settle the pay.. if i pay half they will write everything off for me.. P aid half... After 3 years i check my credit it the remaining half was still there.. they lied to me.. I called them.. they said they have no account of the collection agency that handle my case.. I WILL NEVER USE THIS COMPANY EVER AGAIN. DONE FOR GOOD.. AND I WILL MAKE SURE NON OF MY FRIENDS OR FAMILY USE THIS BAD COMPANY.

1 0 Reply
valxmas3

May 03, 2011

A short time after signing up with DirecTv I had to cancel. It was a situation that could not be avoided and I knew I would get hit with the ETF, again, it could not be avoided. When I canceled, the agent told me after the equipment was returned my card on file would be debited the "final" billed amount. I recieved a bill for double stating I did not return the equpiment, ugh bf didn't do it!! We called, said it's in route back to them- no problem they said, give me a call in a week to see if we processed it. I did, and they did- great! My final bill was adjusted the equipment charge and I was then told that they would debit the card on file. A few weeks later, I get a bill for the final bill (minus equipment) so I call to see what it's about. I was told that because there was an amount due, it went out automatically. I inquired about them debiting my card, I was told that there has to be a period of 20 days with no activity for them to charge my card, and the credit of the equipment was activity, with the 20 count starting over, my card would be debited on 4-1-11. I told him that I would pay but I don't want to double pay if they were going to auto charge my card. He said no problem, just wait until 4-1, it's only about a week away. They never did, and now I've been sent to collections. I was denied a supervisor, when I demanded one, I was told that they wouldn't talk to me because I was a collection case. I paid the bill, was given an address for the... Show more

Alfredo Gutierrez

Aug 01, 2010

I recently found out by running my credit report on www.TrueCredit.com that DIRECTV had reported to EQUIFAX that I owed them $633 from 02/2007. Unfortunately, I have never been a DIRECTV subscriber and I never had business with them. I called DIRECTV’s customer service to describe the situation and after providing them with my name, address, and phone number, they agreed that I did no have an account with them. I asked DIRECTV where they got my name and address to file the report with Equifax and they could not answer. I also asked them how Equifax could add this debt to my credit report when I did not have an account with DIRECTV, they could not answer either. By then I was appalled and wondered how could credit report companies such as Equifax defame people before the world based on incomplete, wrong, false, and bogus information? Now my problem is that since I did not have and I do not have an account with DIRECTV, how can DIRECTV recall this report from Equifax? I also found out by getting to the Equifax website that Equifax had sold my case to another company called CSC Credit Services. I contacted this company by using its website so that they started an investigation. A week later, I received a letter from them asking me to mail copies of my birth certificate, my drivers’ license, my social security card, and copies of utilities services so that they could fully identify me in order to start an investigation. I am still deliberating whether to send this... Show more

nice collector

Mar 15, 2013

ok mm to my knowledge Equifax owns csc credit servs
and on a personal lvl i would not give out that information they should only need the last 4 of your ssn and your full name

Tiffany

Sep 06, 2009

I had to cancel DTV due to no line of site at my new home. I was sent a notice that I owed $298.29 for early cancellation and other fees. (This story goes back further but I want to skip the other years of fighting with them). Basically, in their paperwork, cancellation due to "No line of site" is a reasonable request for cancellation with NO EARLY CANCELLATION FEES. I spoke with DTV supervisors, a DTV supervisor from the president of DTV's office, and collection agency supervisors. All determined I was in the right and did not owe ANYTHING. It is noted in my account that I do not owe any money. DTV agreed to allow my bank to refund the money they withdrew from my account ($298.29 w/o my knowledge) since they were in the wrong. So, I have everything pointing to DTV admitting they were wrong and I was right. This got taken care of and a year later the collection notices started AGAIN.

HELLOOOO????? What part of "Tiffany, I show your account balance is ZERO and you do NOT OWE ANYTHING" do they NOT UNDERSTAND?? I will NEVER use DTV again!!!

John

Apr 30, 2009

I called to cancel Direct Tv and was told that they would suspend my acct and that if they did not hear from me in 6 months that the acct would be closed, also at that time i went ahead and paid my acct in full by card over the phone. aprox 1 month before the 6 months was up i recieved an email stating that my Direct Tv was scheduled to resume. so right away I emailed them stating that i did not wish for my acct to resume and that i wanted the acct closed, and as a second thought I went ahead and called Direct Tv, they assured me that my Direct Tv would not resume. I also recieved an email saying that since I had already took care of it by phone no further action was necessary. A week or so later I recieved not one but two bills from them saying that i owed $2.24. So...I emailed them yet again.
Their response;
Another email was sent on 04/16/09 to notify you that your service is due to reactivate after 04/22/09. I have verified that you sent as an email and called us in response to the notification and requested for service to be disconnected then. However, the disconnect date was set to 04/17/09 instead of 04/16/09. As such, I have issued appropriate credit to your account to zero out the balance to ensure that you will no longer receive a statement showing amount due.

Please note though that your information will be maintained in the system and associated with your disconnected account.
(I had requested that my acct be closed and my
... Show more

Josh

Oct 09, 2008

Same thing here. Canceled the service and payed the final balance, but they never cashed the check and it went to collections. Trying to buy a house right now and due to the major drop in credit score this could cost me about $70,000 on my mortgage. I even have copies of the check sent and proof of the date range it was written. But they don't give you a phone number to dispute the bill, so more than likeley I'll never hear back on my letter. We'll see.

chalo

May 30, 2008 Horseshoe Bay, Texas

same thing happen to me...
read below....
This letter serves the purpose to dispute my billing statement from DirecTV for the above account number. I received a statement that read amount due $362.18. Which I don’t owe a penny.
I called DirecTV customer service at the beginning of March 2008 to disconnect service. The representative told me that I was going to be charged a disconnect fee because I was under a 2 year contract which expired April of 2008. I said send me paper work which states I’m under a 2 year agreement. I waited for this on the mail and never got it. Only thing I received was a bunch of *BS* paperwork about privacy statement, etc, etc.
I called again about a week later to disconnect service; this time the representative said you will be charged $12 for disconnecting service. I said alright just disconnect my service. Representative said it was all done. Now I receive this statement that I owe for $87.18 for services (THAT I NEVER USED). I called DirecTV again, I spoke with a representative, I told him that I never used the service and I was still being charged $87.18 for it. I told him that I had called about two month ago (March 08) to disconnect service. Representative said he did not show any notes on system that shows that I called to request to disconnect. This is *BS*!! He then transferred me to a supervisor, (he did not know what to or how to, explain my
... Show more

×
You were reading a complaint about Directv.
Filing a new complaint about
×