Directv - DirecTV Equipment Return Scam

409 of 559 Directv Reviews
Aug 07, 2011
review #253948

After closing and canceling our DirecTV service in July, we were sent a box by FedEx Ground which contained a prepaid USPS return label.Our DirecTV equipment was carefully packed and dropped off in July at our local post office and returned using DirecTV's USPS return label.

On August 6, 2011, our account was charged $401.74 by DirecTV. Upon calling DirecTV, they claimed that our equipment was never returned and they refused to refund our account or try to locate the returned equipment. Since the USPS return label was created on DirecTV's account, we are unable to file a claim with USPS. DirecTV refused to file a claim with USPS.

After researching online, we found that this is very common with customers who close their accounts with DirecTV. There are numerous complaints to be found online about this scam by searching for the phrase "DirecTV Equipment Return Scam". Since the burden of proof is upon the customer to prove that the equipment was returned, customers are essentially helpless against these charges.

DirecTV's business practices are unethical and should be considered mail fraud since the United States Postal Service is used to scam customers.We will not stop until this is resolved.

7e5a47a
1.5
Had an experience with Directv?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
409 of 559 Directv Reviews
Peach

Aug 08 Bakersfield, California

They sent me the wrong return shipping label, and I called to try to get a new label, after being refused by the post office. People answering phones over there don't know what they are doing. She was going to send me a new set of boxes! I told her I had the boxes and only needed an accurate return label. She said they would send it, but I wonder.

Misteejai

Sep 17, 2013

For all of you out there who are faced with the dilemma of trying
to track your directv equipment via Fed ex, USPS or UPS, etc.... all you need to do is go online to this website for universal package tracking services, www.packagetrackr.com, it is as easy as A-B-C; 1-2-3 just make sure that you keep your return label and put the tracking number provided by directv to get the status of your shipment. I hope this helps everyone who is having issues with returning directv equipment :( .

Mike

Aug 12, 2013 Lorton, Virginia

This is why you ALWAYS keep a copy of the tracking number. You could track the package and see where it is. If the tracking says it's been delivered, you're off the hook.

DTVistheDevil

Aug 10, 2013 San Francisco, California

OMG - Thank you for your information, I feel like this horrible nightmare is never going to end!! Here's my story...

I WAS a faithfull owner of multiple boxes, HD, Football and all the bells and whistles for my 2 kids having each of their rooms, 1 in adult room :) and one in the main family room. I did the actual calculation of the amount of money I spent on DIRECTV over the 20 years of faithful service with them...equalled $40,000!!! THEN the market crash, and life changed, lost our house, became a single parent, moved to different city and regretfully returned ALL of the boxes to the FedEx with "their" labels in July 2010. Everything seemed so easy, just place their label on it and send it off. *** is about to begin. A month or so later, I receive a DTV bill in the mail saying you owe $381.06!
Ok, well as single mom, not much cash, I call, spend multiple days on the phone, talking to this manager, that person, re-explaining the events over and over again. Well do you have proof of you mailing the box. Geez, no, you gave me the labels. After about a month of phone and screaming at people someone finally admits that, "Oh, we found the part of your box with the bar code so we must have it here somewhere and everything is fine in September 2010.

*** comes back on August 9th, 2013. People, this is three years later!
I receive a letter from Enhanced Recover Company,
... Show more

Carrie

Jul 18, 2013 Escondido, California

I personally took all my returned equipment to their local head quarters n they would not let me turn in my equipment. I had to go home n have them send me the return boxes. Its been two months n I still haven't received anything n so they keep charging me monthly.

pissed7

Feb 01, 2013 Bay City, Michigan

I see some on here don't think the problem is with Directv but the customer. I was a loyal customer of Directv and always paid my payment on time. I cancelled my service and I have been trying to get an equipment recovery kit for the past 3 weeks. Each time I call I'm told the package was sent,but when the tracking number is checked it comes up invalid. When my address is checked it shows the package was never sent. I've called about 11 times trying to get a recovery kit and is at my wit end. I'm gonna see if my AG will help me and file a complaint with the FTC.

jr

Dec 17, 2012

Can someone tell me the address to send it to? Did I need to include anything else? Like any additional info or paperwork they give you with the kit? I've asked for the recovery kit numerous times and still don't have it so I am sure they will try to hit me with a charge shortly because that's all part of their scam. Luckily, I no longer have that card # that I used to pay with but would like to take matters into my own hands and ship it back on my own.

Theresa

Jul 13, 2012

The post office in El Dorado Hills, California advised me that I should get a RETURN RECEIPT because they were getting hundreds of boxes of returned equipment each week.

Because DirecTV uses their own shipping equipment, I could not get a CERTIFIED MAIL receipt, but I was able to get a "CERTIFICATE OF MAILING" which cost me $1.15

This proves that the post office received the package.

Consumer Advocate

Sep 10, 2011

Brad C your comment is hypocritical.

You're saying responsible people don't have problems and in the very next sentence you're saying they do, but not to worry.

Well which is it Brad?

After I get done paying my bills on time, I sit down with a icy cold glass of diet pepsi and a deep dish pizza smothered in gooey melted cheese. Mmmm Mmmm Then for dessert, I pop a few of those delectible reeses peanut butter cups.

Skittles just don't do it for me.

Consumer Advocate

Sep 10, 2011

I did the same. Cancelled service and returned everything in their box using the pre-paid label. Sure enough, I was informed that it wasn't received. Luckily I made copies of the label and model/serial numbers of everything.
They didn't have a leg to stand on!
Everything is a scam these days. As annoying as it may be, keep records and copies of EVERYTHING.

Jaggle Jim

Sep 07, 2011

DirecTV is going down the tubes sooner or later. They charge a fortune and exploit their customers. Calling them is to ask for arrogance thrown in your face. We've been a customer for a long time now, but we hate it everyday and look forward to pulling the plug. If you have a choice, DON'T become a customer!

direcTV customer

Sep 01, 2011

I switched from dish,which i had no problems with besides high prices, to dish. BIG MISTAKE!! Their customer service is pretty good but the service is horrible. When i first got them my tv was out for nearly 3 days and I didn't get a discount or anything. Now my mom can't even watch tv in her room more than half the time because it's always out. You can only watch on demand if you have internet with them also, there's not much to watch, and all of the movie channels show the same movies over and over. Frankly i would say its the same as basic cable with a much higher price. Once my two years are up I am most definitely switching to comcast.

Brad C.

Aug 29, 2011

Responsible people don't have any problems. If you are responsible, don't worry. If you order pizza hut, drink beer and eat skittles all the time and pay your bills late, you end up on complaint boards like this. I bet you have "problems" with tons of other companies too. LOL

C is for C*&#%

Jan 07, 2013

Bradley, if you don't realize that people are trying to rip you off, you either don't have much to take or aren't paying attention.

Also, what are you doing on this website if you aren't contributing or attempting to learn something? Are you eating pizza and drinking beer when you should be at work?

Misty123

Aug 29, 2011

DirectTv did this to me also,I asked for and got a tracking # from Fedex and called Fedex when DirectTV tried to say they did not get the equipment I sent back. FedEx ran a check on it and found Direct had indeed received the equipment and call directTV and they refunded my money. Since you sent this by Fedex,give FedEx a call they just may have a copy of this pickup and delivery..I wish you luck

o2good2b4gottenin colorado

Aug 29, 2011

First we were told by direct tvs vender direct star that we had 30 days to cancel, nope 24 hours the supervisor at direct tells me after 15 days of service and bills me 460.00 to cancel. The hooked me up with century link and I had only 5 working days of internet and 7 days of phone and the tv was fuzzy. Then to beat it all they charged my checking account 148.60 for one week of service and put it on the card I used for the one time deposit and over drafted my account. One of their people told me to calm down, I should feel lucky to have their service at all. :(

avhifi

Aug 22, 2011

Hi fed-up:

As far as DirecTV's actual programming, we were extremely happy for 5 years. That's why it was such a surprise to have this happen at the end. After making budget cuts, we're using Comcast cable internet with a couple Netflix enabled bluray players. So far so good.

fed up

Aug 22, 2011

I'm a former Comcast costumer looking for better service. Every company I research has a long list of nightmare complaints. I would love for a satisfied consumer to make recommendations for Internet/TV service, please.

jack this

Aug 20, 2011

Jackson writes

"... More than likely they didn't receive it. If they never received the package back, regardless of whether you dropped it off or not, then there is no scam or fraud. Don't slander a company when the post office lost a package"

Who are you trying to kid?
These *** are ripping ppl off. They receive the equipment then say they don't.

You must work for them.

Showing 1-20 of 30 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Directv.
Filing a new complaint about
×