DirecTV Equipment Return Scam

4096 of 5866 Directv Reviews

After closing and canceling our DirecTV service in July, we were sent a box by FedEx Ground which contained a prepaid USPS return label.Our DirecTV equipment was carefully packed and dropped off in July at our local post office and returned using DirecTV's USPS return label.

On August 6, 2011, our account was charged $401.74 by DirecTV. Upon calling DirecTV, they claimed that our equipment was never returned and they refused to refund our account or try to locate the returned equipment. Since the USPS return label was created on DirecTV's account, we are unable to file a claim with USPS. DirecTV refused to file a claim with USPS.

After researching online, we found that this is very common with customers who close their accounts with DirecTV. There are numerous complaints to be found online about this scam by searching for the phrase "DirecTV Equipment Return Scam". Since the burden of proof is upon the customer to prove that the equipment was returned, customers are essentially helpless against these charges.

DirecTV's business practices are unethical and should be considered mail fraud since the United States Postal Service is used to scam customers.We will not stop until this is resolved.

Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 50 Yes 50
4096 of 5866 Directv Reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Apr 07 #1140882

Will I be able to drop it off at a directv location

Mar 26 #1134353

Should have had them sign for the package prevents future problems

Mar 22 #1132142

Well, they are still at it. I paid an inflated bill before the due date; and then decided to go with Dish. I immediately canceled my Direct Service; received the boxes to return the merchandise, and immediately packed the equipment. (All the equipment.) Took it to the post office, shipped it off, and I cannot track the package via the tracking code the USPS provided for me. "The Package cannot be found". SOS.

Jan 11 #1092514

I'm having the same problem! ! I'm sick of these people and their lies!
Just send the F'n boxes already!!
I ready to just give up on TV.
This is HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!

Dec 18, 2015 #1080691

I had them do the exact same thing and they even had the nerve to put it on my credit report!!!! There has to be a way to get this resolved!!!!!!! I am upset about this and for all this shouldn't have taken time out to go to UPS to send it to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DirectBS

Oct 27, 2015 #1054805 Tulsa, Oklahoma

I am dealing with this issue myself. What I am doing is documenting everything they send me, late or not, and took pictures of the boxes and have the newspaper with the date the boxes arrived after they already charged the account. I am looking for an attorney with the stones to go after them. No luck so far! I will keep you guys informed. I tell you this much. Not to seem solipsistic, but I can go 12 rounds with them and go 12 more if they ****off.

Oct 14, 2015 #1047876

Directtv is the worse cable company out there. All the programs we watch went to a higher channel. We can change our package deal. We will change cable companies. They can kiss my ***!!!

joey

Aug 11, 2015 #1018373

When you drop off at the Post Office ask the Clerk for a receipt. It will have the tracking number and prove that you mailed the boxes.

Jimmy Dell

Sep 18, 2014 #871992

I think that this practice of not refunding by DirectV on equipment has a very simple explanation. They presently owe me $225 on equipment, the technology is constantly changing, my 3 year old equipment is really worthless. Do I expect to receive my money back? Logically, no. It makes no economic sense for them to refund $225 for worthless equipment; it's much more economical for DirectV to employ customer service personnel to argue and confuse customers until they give up and just accept that the refund is a fairy tale.

Peach

Aug 08, 2014 #853504 Bakersfield, California

They sent me the wrong return shipping label, and I called to try to get a new label, after being refused by the post office. People answering phones over there don't know what they are doing. She was going to send me a new set of boxes! I told her I had the boxes and only needed an accurate return label. She said they would send it, but I wonder.

Misteejai

Sep 17, 2013 #718408

For all of you out there who are faced with the dilemma of trying
to track your directv equipment via Fed ex, USPS or UPS, etc.... all you need to do is go online to this website for universal package tracking services, www.packagetrackr.com, it is as easy as A-B-C; 1-2-3 just make sure that you keep your return label and put the tracking number provided by directv to get the status of your shipment. I hope this helps everyone who is having issues with returning directv equipment :( .

5 0 Reply
Mike

Aug 12, 2013 #698266 Lorton, Virginia

This is why you ALWAYS keep a copy of the tracking number. You could track the package and see where it is. If the tracking says it's been delivered, you're off the hook.

Dec 04, 2015 #1073924

No you are not!!!!
All they do is claim that ALL the equipment was not in the box that you shipped. it is your word against their's and they know you CANNOT win.

DTVistheDevil

Aug 10, 2013 #697097 San Francisco, California

OMG - Thank you for your information, I feel like this horrible nightmare is never going to end!! Here's my story...

I WAS a faithfull owner of multiple boxes, HD, Football and all the bells and whistles for my 2 kids having each of their rooms, 1 in adult room :) and one in the main family room. I did the actual calculation of the amount of money I spent on DIRECTV over the 20 years of faithful service with them...equalled $40,000!!! THEN the market crash, and life changed, lost our house, became a single parent, moved to different city and regretfully returned ALL of the boxes to the FedEx with "their" labels in July 2010. Everything seemed so easy, just place their label on it and send it off. *** is about to begin. A month or so later, I receive a DTV bill in the mail saying you owe $381.06!
Ok, well as single mom, not much cash, I call, spend multiple days on the phone, talking to this manager, that person, re-explaining the events over and over again. Well do you have proof of you mailing the box. Geez, no, you gave me the labels. After about a month of phone and screaming at people someone finally admits that, "Oh, we found the part of your box with the bar code so we must have it here somewhere and everything is fine in September 2010.

*** comes back on August 9th, 2013. People, this is three years later!
I receive a letter from Enhanced Recover Company,
... Show more

Carrie

Jul 18, 2013 #683241 Escondido, California

I personally took all my returned equipment to their local head quarters n they would not let me turn in my equipment. I had to go home n have them send me the return boxes. Its been two months n I still haven't received anything n so they keep charging me monthly.

pissed7

Feb 01, 2013 #602870 Bay City, Michigan

I see some on here don't think the problem is with Directv but the customer. I was a loyal customer of Directv and always paid my payment on time. I cancelled my service and I have been trying to get an equipment recovery kit for the past 3 weeks. Each time I call I'm told the package was sent,but when the tracking number is checked it comes up invalid. When my address is checked it shows the package was never sent. I've called about 11 times trying to get a recovery kit and is at my wit end. I'm gonna see if my AG will help me and file a complaint with the FTC.

jr

Dec 17, 2012 #582992

Can someone tell me the address to send it to? Did I need to include anything else? Like any additional info or paperwork they give you with the kit? I've asked for the recovery kit numerous times and still don't have it so I am sure they will try to hit me with a charge shortly because that's all part of their scam. Luckily, I no longer have that card # that I used to pay with but would like to take matters into my own hands and ship it back on my own.

0 1 Reply
duek

Nov 17, 2012 #570352 Atlanta, Georgia

i was told by customer service that they no longer do fedex , post office only

Theresa

Jul 13, 2012 #512167

The post office in El Dorado Hills, California advised me that I should get a RETURN RECEIPT because they were getting hundreds of boxes of returned equipment each week.

Because DirecTV uses their own shipping equipment, I could not get a CERTIFIED MAIL receipt, but I was able to get a "CERTIFICATE OF MAILING" which cost me $1.15

This proves that the post office received the package.

Consumer Advocate

Sep 10, 2011 #341980

Brad C your comment is hypocritical.

You're saying responsible people don't have problems and in the very next sentence you're saying they do, but not to worry.

Well which is it Brad?

After I get done paying my bills on time, I sit down with a icy cold glass of diet pepsi and a deep dish pizza smothered in gooey melted cheese. Mmmm Mmmm Then for dessert, I pop a few of those delectible reeses peanut butter cups.

Skittles just don't do it for me.

0 1 Reply

1-20 of 41 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.