Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show
I'm just like everyone here who have placed a complaint about DIRECTV. I've experience very poor customer. My husband and I recently placed an order for DIRECTV service on June 28, 2009, due to a friend referring us. We got the deal package that they were...
#204244

Well what you have to do in order for it to work correctly is tell them the account number of the person referring you when you order. Call 1-866-443-8869 or enter the account number at www.directv.com/refer.

I used account number 40711911, and it worked like a champ! I got the confirmation of the credit before it was even installed.

Review
#151947 Review #151947 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Directv in Independence, Missouri - Paying for services that are not available sometimes

I've never been so frustrated in my cable life. I spend hours on the phone most of the time trying to figure out why the service is not working or why it has been disconnected even with bills having been payed. I asked Direct TV to discontinue my service but they gave me the condition of paying them over 400$ because of the 2yrs contract. I'm disconnecting this service out of my will why would I be paying them for the service they have been unable to provide? the deal is money and services.Direct tv should pay me.

I can relate to your frustration. Coincidentally, I suffered the same mass of irritation only a week ago; but, I was fortunate enough to have heard of a really unique and pioneering website called hellopeter.com

This website is amazing, let me tell you! You should submit your complaint there in a report, and the company may respond. At hellopeter.com you may get some closure!

Seriously, try it. It really works.

Regards,

Claudio

Review
#151914 Review #151914 is a subjective opinion of poster.
upon reading other complaints, it looks as though Direct TV is a total scam. Like many other comments, I too signed up for a rebate of $21.00 per month. When I noticed I was not receiving the discount, I contacted the company and they told me I failed to complete the...

Hello, I am contacting you to notify you that was promised by your sales organization that I would be charged $39.99 per month automatically. Instead I received my bill that showed $68.99. I did sign up for the rebate today but I think that should be applied to the very first bills and not take 6-8 weeks to process, which is ridiculous amount of time to process a rebate. At no time was I ever made aware of any requirements in order to receive the stated price.

I have reported this fraud to the following organizations:

BBB

EConsumer.gov

Nevada State Attorney General

View more comments
Review

Directv in Brecksville, Ohio - Shame on you Direct TV! Don't sign up!

I chose Direct TV for the rebate spacial. Now they refuse to give it to me. I have talked with so many people who have lied and lied and lied. They all told me they would "take care of everything" for me, since I am not used to handling things like this. I am retired and on fixed income. What a run-around I have had!!! I am so frustrated. They lie to me like I am ***. And they have stolen money from me. Cancellation fee is $260. So I am stuck with them. Shame on you, Direct TV for teaching your employees to lie like this.

wow--when i signed up i was told that i could keep the price i was paying for the second year (2yr contract) as long as i called one year to the date from when i signed up--i was paying 43.oo a month, then called them for my second year of this price, and they told me they never heard of such a thing--and that my cost per month would double! i spent an hour on the phone first with an *** who said let me go ahead and see here" a thousand times, then two other people, then finally a manager who was able to reduce my price a little bit by my downgrading my service--and the amt of channels ive had--i told her i should have stayed with dish network-with them at least i got the same price for two years, and didnt have to pay for service calls, replacement remote controls, or anything--plus i had two dvrs--direct tv seemed like a good deal at the time--ha

DirecTV Customer Ripp-off

I would like to express my astonishment at the behavior of DirecTV as a corporate citizen. Here's my story. Last year, my wife and I decided to move out West and live in our Motor home while we tested a few areas that we might want to move to permanently (in particular, Montana – where I grew up - in the summer and Arizona in the winter). During the process, we purchased (or thought we had) a DirecTV receiver at Camping World here in Tampa where we live. We paid something like $80 for the device, since we already had an antenna that we had used for their service a few years ago. I called DirecTV up to activate their service, which was where I first got confused. I had already hooked up the receiver in my motor home and just needed to set up an account. Whoever I had on the phone to activate the account took care of everything. We received the signal and everything was cool. A couple of days later, I received a call from them saying they wanted to schedule the installation. I informed them that I had installed everything myself and everything was working fine. They could not understand how that was possible, but ultimately accepted that it was true and cancelled the installation, "graciously" waiving the installation fee (at least that's how I remember it). We used the unit for 6 months while we were out West, testing life in both Montana and Arizona. Our decision to return to Tampa had nothing to do with DirecTV, but once we returned, the fun really started. When I called up to cancel the account, I was informed that I would have to pay a cancellation fee and return the receiver that I had bought at Camping World. After a 1-hour back and forth discussion about the situation, they informed me that although I thought I had purchased the unit, I had actually only leased it for that price and I would have to keep it until the lease expired (something like 2 ½ more years) and that if I wanted to buy it, it would cost much more (on top of the cancellation fee, so if I bought the silly thing, I would not have been able to use it anyway!). Since I was very busy with a lot of stuff having to do with relocating my business back to my house in Tampa and I could not find a better solution, I suspended my service with DirecTV. Six months later DirecTV automatically reactivated the service, since that was the maximum duration they allowed for a suspension. When I received the bill which was for the services which I was not using, I went online and reduced the service to the minimum ($29 / month) thinking that I could pay that amount until my "lease" expired and pay less than for the device. The next month, we received the bill for around $50 which included a "Home service" charge (who knows what that means). My wife then called and, after spending another hour on the phone with their customer service finally got them to agree to cancel the service (with a $120 cancellation fee) as long as we sent the unit we "leased" back. I can only say that in my many experiences with the customer service departments of many organizations, I am astonished at what DirecTV considers customer service. I can also report that I will never again avail myself of their services and recommend that anyone who so desires consult a lawyer to read the "fine print" on their "purchase" and/or service agreement.

Directv in El Paso, Texas - Direct Liars

Direct tv lied, lied, lied,lied,lied,lied,lied,and then lied some more, and then, they threatened to steal money from my checking account. They suck big time! After I file a formal complaint with the better business bureau, and a customer complaint form with the Texas State Attorney General, I,m going to produce a a video for Youtube that will show a typical direct tv employee orientation class where the new employees are trained in the skillful art of lying, scamming, double talk, bait and switch, lying by omission, high pressure dishonest sales techniques, and every scummy, nasty, deceptive trick in the book! Spread the word that Direct tv sucks!

This is a corporate America !!! be ready to get ripped off everywhere

Remember WORD OF MOUTH is their worst enemy! If we tell enough people about their deceitful practice and file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General also read the comment and info left by this customer.. teachermrhuene No this is not Marketing

this pure and simple RIP OFF!

It's not lying, it's called marketing. Americans only hear what they want to hear, most of the time, so why not. If you only buy something for the rebate or sale, you're buying it for the wrong reason.

i was verbally quoted a price for 1 year to leave cox and join direct tv. the rebate was taking forever to take effect.

after i called them on it every 30 days they finally started it and then after 6 months they raised my rates $24 a month and denied any 1 year price quote. i have even written the CEO in el segundo with no response!!!!

BAIT and SWITCH!!they suck and i can't wait to go elsewhere.....counting the days. i may even just cancel and pay penalty just to get them out of my life!

you *** can say all you want but there is nothing wrong with your gotdamn service.

I chose Direct TV for the rebate spacial. I am retired and on fixed income.

THEY ARE REFUSING TO GIVE ME THE REBATE AFTER MONTHS OF TALKING WITH THOSE IDIOTS.

View more comments (5)
Review

Why can't Directv verify what they tell you on the phone

Hi sent other detailed complaint in regard to Comcast--now my experience with canceling and returning receivers to Directv. and why strong consumer protection legislation is necessary. Seems the call lines and email forms are contracted out, and firewalled off from any accountability for questionable, if not downright fraudulent, practices. Plausible deniability by design! Just got off phone with Directv after canceling their service, they sent one Fedex box to return a DVR receiver an another standard receiver. Both would not fit into the box, so I packed the DVR receiver and arranged pickup, then called 1800Directv; their customer service representative had me open up the card flap and read the RID # to him, then stated it is not to be returned. Seeing the paper they enclosed in the Fedex box, specifying the receivers are to be returned within 7 days or I'll be charged $470 (took 3 days just to arrive on our porch to begin with!)--I then asked if they would send me an email or letter confirming it didn't have to be returned--repeatedly got can't do that. Called their Consumer Advocacy Team at 866-785-5537, spoke with "Milana" about their CSR informing me that the standard receiver was not to be returned, but refused to provide any verifiable communication, so if I'm be billed $470 for something I was told not to return, I have some documentation that it was not to be returned. She told me that both the DVR receiver and other receiver are leased so both need to be returned, just place both in the box and send them back--informed her the box they sent is only big enough for one of the receivers (i.e. as packed per enclosed instructions). When I told her what their previous CSR told me about it not having to be returned, again she emphasized both had to be returned and requested to confirm my address to sent another box; I asked her to send a confirming email, which she refused and said they couldn't. Then I asked she escalate this and she stated there's noone else to escalate it to, she's a "supervisor", and stated she couldn't escalate this further, and couldn't send any email as verifiable communication; I told her their CSR told me the exact opposite of what she is now telling me and I don't want to be responsible for $470 due to their mistake. My wife then got on the phone with her, confirmed our address and put it on the speaker when "Milana" now told her that it didn't have to be returned, just the DVR receiver. My wife then asked the "supervisor" if she would send an email to confirm a return box was just now being sent to our home for this receiver, "Milana" stated she couldn't. When my wife then asked "Milana" to identify herself, she was told "Milana #R8762 President's office", and told "Milana" since they couldn't send anything to verify this, then my husband will do what he has to do.

I am so frustrated. They lie to me like I am ***.

Because they lied on the phone!

View more comments (1)

Directv in Bristol, Virginia - DO NOT use a credit card

I used my credit card to help a friend pay his bill a few monts ago,now DIRECT TV charged my credit card over $900 because he defaulted on his contract.HOW can they do that,all they will tell me it was the last card number used so thats where they took the payment from.Now they say it will take at least 10 business days to get my money back and I am stuck with the overdrafts THEY caused.HOW can they get buy with this?Is this legal? I can't afford to wait 10 days I have bills,and over $200 in overdrafts.

I never use a credit card for purchasing on the net, unless I know the company. you can pay with direct debit from your bank, but be sure it is a once only payment. Not recuring!

The internet has become a haven for crooks.

I used my credit card to pay the bill for my sister and her account went into default and they charged my account $427.58. Direct Tv told me that if i was elgible for a refund then i would get my money back in 6-8 weeks.

I then defaulted the transaction with my bank. And now im just waiting.

Have you thought of getting all your records together and putting all your complaints on paper to the Better Business Bureau? If they get enough complaints I would think they would have to do something

Used my crdit card to get service started for a friend, and told them this was a one time use. Friend had to leave for the military, called and cancelled the service and they put a full year on my card..

It was reported immediately to my credit card company and Direct TV..It is building in interest and I refuse to pay it. Evidently they can do what ever they want to if they ever get a credit card number...I have cancelled my card..I hold Washington Mutual responsiable as well, since I reported it soon as the statement came in.

:( I had a simaler thing happen to me where i used my card and they withdrawl $ 800 from my acct They refused to send me a refund so to get my money i had to take the service to use the credit and they extended the contract for another 2 yrs come to find out with out informing me . I am just waiting for this contract to be done and than i am so done with them .

:( :(I too helped a friend and used my visa to pay for his equipment fee. I told Direct TV, that would be a one-time charge only, and they verified.

My ex-friend called them and told them he was now an authorized user on the acct and to charge the payments to my acct. On 7/30, they charged my acct $891.48, then on 7/31 another 175.00. I have been running in circles trying to get my money back, they insisted I file a police report, which I did also they requested copies of my statement, because according to them, they didn't see any payments, when they finally saw them I was told that I needed to get the receivers and send them back, and the acct isn't even in my name. When I asked them about that, their response was well your card is on file, hence it makes you responsible.

They make innocent people run around in circles, to get information and equipment back for them because they are just to *** lazy to do their own jobs. :( :(

They threatened to steal money from my checking account so I took measures to prevent that from happening.

View more comments (6)
Loss

DirecTV LIES in their commercials!

DirecTV is totally misleading in their new commercial! They say that you get five months of free service. I expected to see a contract or something but no, the "free" is $60/month. I think the way they are allowed to mislead consumers in their ad is totally unethical so I created a blog about it. I'm also trying to start the #directvlies hashtag on Twitter. Please visit my blog and leave a comment, or tweet about this unethical ad: http://www.deceptivedirectv.com I really want DirecTV to understand that we will not tolerate being lied to in advertising!

um it is free service for 5 months with a subscription to nfl sunday ticket you got to read everything for signing up that is everyones biggest mis understanding read everything including all those small words.

but i got that plan and its 5 free months with a subscription to nfl sunday ticket

Directv in Los Angeles, California - Direct TV is Awful

I have never ever experienced such horrible customer service and product quality. I don't recommend Direct TV to my enemies. Their customer service is terrible. I had Direct TV for less than 2 months and had problems with both my TV and internet 6 different times. Direct TV was not helpful at all and did nothing to help us with the problems we experienced. After experiencing problems for the 6th time and being extremely inconvenienced as my husband and I work from home and need to have access to the internet, we decided to cancel with Direct TV. Their customer service rep and Supervisor said it would take another week to have anyone come out to look at our TV and internet and they would not do anything to compensate for our inconvenience or even keep us satisfied as a valued customer. In this economy and due to competitive market conditions, you would think that Direct TV would fall hand over fist to keep their valued customers. Luckily, Time Warner Cable was willing to pay for our cancellation fee with Direct TV and offered a much better package, product quality and service immediately. I am very happy with Time Warner Cable and highly do not and will never recommend Direct TV to anyone. Unbelieveably rude customer service and customer support services.