Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Directv in Cleveland, Ohio - Bogus rebate scam

i was supposed to get a $21.00 discount for 12 months. after 2 months i called to see why i wasn't getting the discount. I was told i didn't send the rebate form in on time and it was to late. WHAT REBATE? i was never told of a rebate. she said the info was on the first bill. NO IT WASN'T! so now i'm screwed because they neglected to give me all the info i needed and they won't do anything about it. i am very very pissed. what a scam. nina jones
Review

Directv in Medford, Oregon - Can anyone cite a legal case regarding Direct TV?

I just got off the phone with a Qwest rep, through whom I ordered a Direct TV/Long distance phone/Internet bundle. I told her I was renting this home and didn't plan to stay here for two years, and I specifically did NOT want to sign up for a "commitment". She was evasive about cancellation fees, and I after reading over 100 of the 459 stories here about problems with Direct TV, I am very suspicious. Has anyone actually sued them? Can anyone cite a legal case, either won or lost, against Direct TV? Also, this house I rented has a Direct TV 'Slimline' dish already installed on the roof, with four wires running from it. It all looks brand new. What should I expect from DTV regarding this equipment?
Review
why does the programs fade out when it rains? I just been thru this *** with the snow, whats next? do i have to go back to cable tv again, they dont lose programs signals when it rains, tired of hearing *** excuses from people that man the phones.if this problem...

Skurno - congratulations, you just provided everyone with Ms. Filipak's contact info which will now be handled first by mail distribution and then routed right to inbound CS mail service associates, all who get paid maybe $12-$14 an hour to sort an additional load of dead mail, thanks to you. The VP won't even see it.

View more comments
Review
Okay so I had Direct TV and after moving I was going to get there services again, even though I threat to cancel 3 times after only having there service 8 months. So when the tech gets to my new location he advises me of some type of $30 grounding fee..At that point I...

DirecTv sent me a refund check and then canceled the check causing me NSF fees from my bank. They said they would refund me but they need me to fax relevant info to them --this has been done 3 times along with numerous emails.

I canceled services with them because they would not stand by their quote of what my services would cost.They promised to go back and give me refunds for what should have been charged. I've been waiting for over a year for the first refund. I had service with them for several years. I refuse to stay with them because of the deceitful practices they use.

They have charged me $400.00 for early cancellation even though nothing was said about early cancellation - I had been with them for a number of years but had my service transferred. Now they are attempting to blackmail me into coming back. Not by one rep but 3. Credit bureau says they do not take them as a serious claim because of all their fradulent practices.

I asked Directv to provide me with a tape or contract r/t fees - I didn't cancel early I transferred. And why should they get away with charging too much and only agree to the correct charges after you cancel.

Directv in Los Angeles, California - Direct TV - The Bait and Switch

I am issuing a formal consumer complaint against DirectTV for what has amounted to a 'bait and switch' scam. Three months ago I responded to a promotion advertising $32 a month satellite television contract from DirectTV. I signed up for direct billing expecting them to honor the price as advertised. My family was disappointed by the picture quality and obtrusive satellite dish, but we thought we could live with all that for relatively low price of the monthly service. One day I was checking my credit card statements and I was shocked to noticed that DirectTV was actually charging $52 a month. I called to question the bill, and after being put on hold, redirected to recorded lines, and 'accidentally' hung up on three separate time I was finally told that I in order to get the price promised I had to complete a rebate that had since expired. I was never told during the sign up process, subsequent installation, or by mail that I was expected to perform any additional work to get the rate promised to me. After speaking with a supervisor, I was subsequently told that DirectTV is not responsible for honoring their commitment and was then scolded for being "slow" in not reading the fine print of the promotional advertisements. I was then informed that I would have to pay $280 if I wanted to end my 18 month contract. I have never been more insulted or frustrated by a company. I feel that I have been lied to and cheated by this organization. A simple internet search has demonstrated dozens of similar consumer complaints against DirectTV (see below for just a few). In order to resolve the dispute I would ask for one of the following two solutions: 1) DirectTV honors the $32 a month price as promised upon sign-up and installation, and that my family should be reimbursed for difference in the higher $52 rate paid thus far. 2) For DirectTV to break my contract with them, free of charge, on the basis they have not delivered the services at the price promised.

Directv in Chicago, Illinois - Ripped off by most powerful Company in the US

They charged my credit card $1050. I sent back the 3 boxes and was supposed to be reimbursed $780. Each time I call, they always say 6-8 weeks. I don't think I will be getting my money back. I'm starting to think the CEO of this company is more powerful than anyone in this country. They've been stealing so much money from people for years and they seem to be untouchable. I've never felt so violated in my life. Well, I guess there's really nothing I can to but let them have my money.

Added the "HD" for $10.00 more a month. Started to get HD NET but thats all.

Several months later saw a neighbors set and he had tons of HD channels and was paying the same . Thru weeks of phone calls finally found out the software was never downloaded to my unit. Well, when you ask Direct to give back some of the money you sent them==good luck.

Been fighting them for months, still stalling me, promosing to be on next months bill. Nothing but a bunch of liers and thiefs.

They did the same thing to me...I am very sure that they have done this to most of their customers

View more comments (1)

Directv in Wellpinit, Washington - Direct TV = Direct Rip Off

My service was fairly decent for the 4 1/2 of the 6 months I have had it, until I started getting a error message saying that my satellite receiver was scanning for a better signal. I called Direct TV and they said the could send out a technician for $29.99 to fix the problem. Hmmmm... I was thinking I have to pay a technician to fix a problem that I did not cause. I asked to speak to a supervisor and after spending additional time arguing with the representative I was connected to a supervisor. I asked the supervisor why I was being charged to have my service fixed when it was not my fault and I could not get a straight answer. So I said its not fair to charge me $29.99 and she corrected me and told me it was a $49.95 dollar one time service charge or I could pay 5.95 a month for insurance. So now I know im done with direct tv and want out. Well apparently I have a two year contract and am told that I have to pay 380.00 dollars to cancel the service im not getting because of equipment problems. I even asked the woman if she thought that it was fair to be charged to have someone come out and fix the equipment. She still would not give me a "direct" answer. If you sign up and are unsatisfied with Direct T.V they charge $20.00 dollars a month for the service you don't use out of the 2 year contract. I think there should be a law that protects consumers when your forced to pay for faulty service.

We have had Direct TV for years, without any real complaints. It works well, the picture is better than cable, and their customer service has always been good.

i also got ripped off by direct tv. they baited and switched me on a price for a year and only gave me 6 months and raised the bill $24 a month.

i had to fight to get the rebate even. when they refused to honor their price quote i canceled one receiver and reduced the subscription to minimal. i canceled the insurance too. get this i started direct tv the first week of july 08' and now one year and 2 weeks later i cancel insurance and they fine me because they claim it was less than one year.

i said july to july is one year.....they say but you didn't get the bill till august for july and therefore i canceled early.

july to july is ONE YEAR it doesn't matter when the bill comes out!!!! they are the worst liars!!

:cry I have no idea what to do my bill is 198 a month for bright house in orlando and DTV seems the best option to go

I feel you pain. I've had a very similar problem with Comcast here in Jacksonville, FL.

I think it's criminal. I'm glad I saw all the complaints against Direct TV. I was considering checking them out but not now. Good luck with this company.

I fed up with the whole industry. I'm thinking of doign away with these services all together.

We lived without them once before and we can again. Put all of them out of business!

View more comments (3)
Loss

Directv lied about their units capability to get my business

Directv said thier HD unit would be able to split to a second room. I didn't have a HD tv when it was installed so at the installers sujestion, I waited to hook it up until I bought one. He said it would be bad on my regular tv to use the HD signal. When it was determined, by their own tech dept., that it could not be split to my second room I cancelled my service since I was over my 2 year agreement. They claim that I agreed to a new 2 year agreement when I got the second reciever. In their own words " It was in the small print". I wrote a letter explaning the situation and got a form letter reply saying it was verified that I took the second reciever and I owed the money. They have not produced any signature of mine on anything because I did not sign anything. I was willing to work with them and chalk it up to a misunderstanding but not now. I am disputing this bill and if they turn me into collection I told them I would sue them for damages. Hope you all have better luck than I did.

You people are pathetic, paranoid and are probably liberal Democrats that think everyone should get everything for nothing as well. For anyone that thinks that all businesses are out to get you I would encourage you to get professional help immediately before you kill again. While occasionally one of you may have been victim of an error or perhaps even an intentional act of deception for the most part most of you are simply clueless or qualify as perpetrators of fraud yourselves.

A company the size of DIRECTV has a legal department the size of a small Midwestern town that advises them on every policy and practice that they employ. Now I'm not saying that there are no instances of an individual that works for DIRECTV misleading a customer, intentionally or unintentionally. But as a corporate entity DIRECTV has everything to lose by setting policy and engaging in practices that are detrimental to its bottom line. The only way to avoid attrition is keep the customers you have happy so they will tell others.

DIRECTV has about 18 million customers and they continue to grow. Apparently most of those 18 million are pretty well satisfied because DIRECTV has been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction for 9 years running. If they were p-i-s-s-i-n-g (Funny isn't it, that a website that is called Pissed Consumer won't let the word *** be used in posts. Pretty hypocritical.) off even 1% of their customers there would be about 180,000 people or so that should be posting on this site yet there is only a handful. Now of the 18 million or so people who are DIRECTV customers they are either 18 million of the stupidest people on the face of the Earth or the less than 1% who claim to have been duped are. Which is it? My money is on the 180,000 or less.

DIRECTV agents are trained for 2 weeks before they take a single call. Then they go through another 2 weeks of On-The-Job training under the watchful eye of trainers. And once they are allowed to take calls without extremely close supervision they are subject to frequent monitoring to ensure that they deliver a quality consumer experience. Every call an agent takes is recorded and archived. They are required to quote accurate pricing based on what they are told by the prospective customer. If the customer attempts or does provide inaccurate information in an attempt to get service or discounts they are not entitled to how does the DIRECTV or one of its agents have responsibility for inaccurate pricing or information that could result. Agents are required to inform all customers that they are leasing, not buying equipment and upon termination of services the equipment must be returned to DIRECTV or the credit or debit card that they provided when they became a DIRECTV customer would be charged for the cost of the equipment. Customers are told to review their 1st bill and the Customer Agreement that is included carefully and to keep both for their records. New customers are told the length of their agreement and if they break that agreement due to early cancellation then they are subject to early cancellation fees. Currently this is $20 per month left in the agreement term. It will be charged to the credit or debit card they provided when they set up service.

You see, when someone calls to sign up for DIRECTV some do not listen closely to what they are being told. It is my assessment that those who claim to have wronged are probably among those who wanted to rush through the sign-up process, argued with the agent about the length of the agreement, felt the cancellation fees were unfair or just ignored any information that the agent provided that didn't line up with their own personal perception of what they did or didn't have to do to hold up their end of the bargain. They think that to provide TV service as content rich as what DIRECTV provides is free, that DIRECTV gets 100% profit from every dollar they take in. Get a clue. Every business that exists today makes an investment and has an expense before any profit is made. DIRECTV is no different. Typically it takes DIRECTV at least 18 months to break even on a new customer. Let me repeat that for the really thick-headed among you. It typically takes 18 months for DIRECTV to break even on the installation and set-up of a new customer. No business exists to just break even and no business continues to exist if they don't make a profit. Since its establishment DIRECTV has continually improved its service, content and technology. No business in the television service provider industry has a record as good as DIRECTV.

Some people complain that satellite TV use to be free. Really? If I recall a satellite system with a dish the size of Rhode Island ran about $8000 or more. That is about 6 years of DIRECTV service with the Premier package that contains over 285 channels of the most popular programming content available. No other TV service provider has anything even close. Of course, one does not have to have a TV service provider. For those of you who think TV should be free as your God given right, you can put up an antenna and get reception of local channels if you can get a strong enough signal. But shut your pie hole and don't complain when there is nothing to watch on TV or there is 30 minutes of program content and 30 minutes of advertising to pay for “free” TV. Or maybe you can watch programming content provided on the Internet that is free. But my friends, that is not free either. You either at least have to have Internet service which is not free, you are a mooch who only gets WI-fi from places like Starbucks or McDonald's (God love ya) or you are stealing service from someone. Who is the unethical one now?

Are you familiar with the Pareto Principle? I doubt it. Simply put 80% of effects are derived by 20% of causes. It is also referred to as the 80-20 Rule. How does it have relevance to this monologue? 80% of the problems/complaints are generated by 20% of the customers a company has. These disgruntled people also increase the expense of doing business and guess who gets to cover the bill? The 80 percent who are relatively satisfied. Do me/us a favor, go kill yourselves now, before you cost me/us another penny. I/we will be eternally grateful.

You CAN send the signal to another tv. Though you would have to view the same channel. That is why there are multi outputs on the back.

Direct TV

El Segundo, CA 90245

I urge all DTV customers to bombard Ms. Filipiak's office with their complaints

View more comments (2)

DirecTV has awful CS manangers

We were customers since Directv started in the 90's, then when we moved we didn't have it for a year, we wanted it back, so we ordered it and have had one problem after another. Now we had always known that if it rains or snows, of course the reception would not work, so we'd pop in a movie and watch it. We never complained about that, just figured that that was satellite service. Well, first of all we called because we heard about bundle pkgs, the # on the ad said they did and we called it. But all they do is set you up with a local phone company and there is no bundling, not on one bill. When the installer was to come out we stayed home and waited, then later in the afternoon got a phone call that we'd have to reschedule and they'd call us back to do that. Then an hour later a man shows up with 1 dish (should have had 2 dishes as they have a different one for local channels), he stated he'd be back the next day to install the local dish. No one showed up and when I called they said we didn't have any dishes yet, I told her I was looking on my deck and I have a dish out there! They argued with me that I wasn't on the system and I didn't have any dishes installed yet. It took 2 weeks to get the local dish installed and they never did know who came and installed the first dish. NOW the fun really begins, I get my bills, one after another and they're not what I was told!! When I would call and tell then I was bundling with phone and internet with them and the price I was to pay for everything, they practically called me a liar! They said that no one would have offered us that kind of deal and they DON"T bundle! This went on for almost a year. The rebates I was to get didn't happen until almost 6 months later and many, many phone calls of reps being rude to me and not believing what I told them. I should have cancelled way back then but my husband wanted the football package they had and we put up with the abuse. Now it's been almost a year and I have been on the phone with them most every month about their billing or about then putting things on my acct or removing things on my acct without my consent! Finally we said we want to cancel. When I called to cancel the woman said "fine, we'll bill you for 2 years cancellation fee", I was so shocked... WHAT??? She stated that a couple of months ago we upgraded to HD and that bound us to another 2 years! No way did anyone on the phone or the installer say anything about another 2 year contract, if we had been told that we would have said "NO!!!!" Now I've called and called and no one at DirecTV knows a name of anyone in upper management to send a complaint to. I did get a rep that was pretty decent to me, I asked her about the note of the last rep I spoke to before her and she told me he wrote that I just wanted something for nothing! How dare him! As a call center rep he is only allowed to put the nature of the call and the outcome, not his so called personal opinion! Now they do have some glorified name called "Office of the president" with a PO Box address that you can send complaints to. That's a farce because I sent a return receipt complaint letter to this and there wasn't even a signature on the return receipt, only some stamp on it. So, finally I do get a call and they don't listen to the problems I'm having and just as well told me that being a customer for 15+ years means NOTHING!! And they will not waive any cancel fees for me. They kept telling me that it's just a billing dispute and they won't waive the fees. It's a lot more than any billing dispute, it's been one problem after another with them and the rudeness and the uncooperative people they have working for them, the managers who have no authority to help you are just as rude and they are in dire need of management training! When I hung up with a woman who said she was a manager of the office of the president the other day my blood pressure was 165/106!! I don't need this kind of aggravation and if something happens to me like a stroke or something, they'll be sued!!!! They didn't no more read my letter than the man in moon, it was a 3 page letter and 9 pages of notes with dates, names and problems that I had with their company. Then I decided to send a complaint into the BBB, but I needed to know the state I was dealing with to post my complaint, when I called I spoke to a woman and asked her what state she was in, she informed me she was in the Philippines in SW Asia!!!! I told her why I needed to know and she immediately transferred me to a woman in Idaho! Who by the way, just lived up to my expectations of a DTV rep, no cooperation whatsoever. Now I'm not loud swearing complaint customer, you don't get anywhere with rudeness and it's not my nature to be that way. They had gotten me to the point of tears a couple of times but I tried to hide that as to not let them gloat that they made me cry! Then I get an email from them advertising... I replied to it and said do not send me anymore emails and why I was upset, AGAIN! Then a woman calls me and she takes up about 1 1/2 hours of my time and the outcome; as she didn't listen to me either was no fees will be waived, it's not DTV's policy to waive fees AND she followed up with a recap of our conversation via EMAIL!! When I read that I was just upset again, she had worded it in such a way that it sounded like I agreed with her and that was totally false, so answered that email and pretty much told her everything I'm writing here. That was last night. When will this nightmare end? I will cancel in the very near future; the outcome after I do that is yet to come. Thanks for your time and I do not recommend DirecTV unless you want headaches!

Yeah Dee, you're probably one in a million!

I was happy with them for almost 15 years!! Just wait, your time will come and you'll find out the hard way!! Good luck Dee!!

I'm happy with it. Get over yourselves.

Ann65625

Don't get Directv, you'll be sorry.

View more comments (3)
Review

Directv in Spokane, Washington - No service pioiod.

My daughter got Direct and talked me into it again, I had it once and quit them for being way less than honest! She had to have the boxes replaced, the didn't work. She signed on to verizon DSL, the rotor didn't work, she was sold a audio/ video phone and it knocked out her phone service, this was 7 wks ago, she still don't have a phone. it goes on & on. We have not received our rebate. They were liars 3 yrs ago and they still are. I do not like the formatting. it is so hard to read the guide or the info,the colors are a mess. I called three times to get the fonts larger, they said there was no way to do it !! Well I found a way, but they are still too small. I may dump them again, as soon as I get them off auto pay!!!!!!