Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Directv in Los Angeles, California - Direct TV cancellation fee - be careful

We signed up with DirectTV and decided to cancel after getting a better deal with AT&T. Apparently there is a disclaimer on their website that says you will be charged an early termination fee if you cancel. We were never told this, we never signed anything or clicked an accept box. They charge our checking account without our authorization over $340. When we complained, they said too bad. Please do not use this company, the only way to stop them is to put them out of business. Talk to your friends and relatives and make sure they don't use them. Be Careful even upgrading your equipment can put you into another 2 year min.
donnaje1948

I'm going through the same thing with this place right now only I was originally told there was a $150.00 early termination fee. (I even saw that amount advertised, though it no longer appears anywhere.) When I received my final bill much to my surprise, the early termination fee was $280.00 on top of the $150.00!

Naturally I called to ask about this, and was told that there was a $20.00 per month early termination fee in addition to the $150.00. No where on any paperwork that I have in my possession is that mentioned.

I've since gone with Comcast and they are willing to buy out the contract up to $150.00 and all they are asking for is an itemized bill. Five times I've asked for one. I'm supposed to have it within two to three days. I'm not holding my breath.

You do realize that everything on their web site now is worded differently? They changed everything with no warning at all to the consumer.

I have warned all of my friends to stay far away from this company.

They are as crooked as the day is long.

Directv Deal
Loss

Directv in Stone Mountain, Georgia - Customer No Service

My TV reception went out due to a storm in our area I received a repair appointment 2 weeks later. The appointment day came. The request for the driver to call before arrival was ignored. The tech did call only after he had arrived. His attitude was terrible.I asked was he going to return he simply said I MIGHT no other comment followed .I told him to let me know so I would not sit around waiting when he simply said PROBABLY NOT. This is all he had to say. I asked what was his name at which time he hung up on me. I called back only to get no answer. I called customer service and spoke to some very nice people on five different occasion . I thought I was getting some where but each time I was placed on hold for which seems a life time . Finally being disconnected only to start the process over again. By the way I was told the supervisor would call me. I am 'still waiting

Directv in Appleton, Wisconsin - DirectTV needs to learn a lesson

They seem to not realize that 1 dissatisfied customer is only $1200/year lost income, yet 1000 = $1.2 million! Over the average life cycle of a client this equates to a total potential revenue loss of upwards to $24,000,000!!! For those of you who are not familiar with Six Sigma, it is a program that has been shown statistically that the above statement is in effect, accurate to within 99.999%. Don't sit back and accept it, hit them in their wallets! Send your complaints and issues to John at the "Office of the President" @ 1.888.237.8327.

You do know your name seymor butts is the *** guy.

Former Employee

I think they better get a signature when they say you signed up for auto pay.I'm a new customer;1 month and my credit card is over the limit with charges and what else.I never asked for auto pay;so don't bill my credit card;this may get ugly.

You people are pathetic, paranoid and are probably liberal Democrats that think everyone should get everything for nothing as well. For anyone that thinks that all businesses are out to get you I would encourage you to get professional help immediately before you kill again. While occasionally one of you may have been victim of an error or perhaps even an intentional act of deception for the most part most of you are simply clueless or qualify as perpetrators of fraud yourselves.

A company the size of DIRECTV has a legal department the size of a small Midwestern town that advises them on every policy and practice that they employ. Now I'm not saying that there are no instances of an individual that works for DIRECTV misleading a customer, intentionally or unintentionally. But as a corporate entity DIRECTV has everything to lose by setting policy and engaging in practices that are detrimental to its bottom line. The only way to avoid attrition is keep the customers you have happy so they will tell others.

DIRECTV has about 18 million customers and they continue to grow. Apparently most of those 18 million are pretty well satisfied because DIRECTV has been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction for 9 years running. If they were p-i-s-s-i-n-g (Funny isn't it, that a website that is called Pissed Consumer won't let the word *** be used in posts. Pretty hypocritical.) off even 1% of their customers there would be about 180,000 people or so that should be posting on this site yet there is only a handful. Now of the 18 million or so people who are DIRECTV customers they are either 18 million of the stupidest people on the face of the Earth or the less than 1% who claim to have been duped are. Which is it? My money is on the 180,000 or less.

DIRECTV agents are trained for 2 weeks before they take a single call. Then they go through another 2 weeks of On-The-Job training under the watchful eye of trainers. And once they are allowed to take calls without extremely close supervision they are subject to frequent monitoring to ensure that they deliver a quality consumer experience. Every call an agent takes is recorded and archived. They are required to quote accurate pricing based on what they are told by the prospective customer. If the customer attempts or does provide inaccurate information in an attempt to get service or discounts they are not entitled to how does the DIRECTV or one of its agents have responsibility for inaccurate pricing or information that could result. Agents are required to inform all customers that they are leasing, not buying equipment and upon termination of services the equipment must be returned to DIRECTV or the credit or debit card that they provided when they became a DIRECTV customer would be charged for the cost of the equipment. Customers are told to review their 1st bill and the Customer Agreement that is included carefully and to keep both for their records. New customers are told the length of their agreement and if they break that agreement due to early cancellation then they are subject to early cancellation fees. Currently this is $20 per month left in the agreement term. It will be charged to the credit or debit card they provided when they set up service.

You see, when someone calls to sign up for DIRECTV some do not listen closely to what they are being told. It is my assessment that those who claim to have wronged are probably among those who wanted to rush through the sign-up process, argued with the agent about the length of the agreement, felt the cancellation fees were unfair or just ignored any information that the agent provided that didn't line up with their own personal perception of what they did or didn't have to do to hold up their end of the bargain. They think that to provide TV service as content rich as what DIRECTV provides is free, that DIRECTV gets 100% profit from every dollar they take in. Get a clue. Every business that exists today makes an investment and has an expense before any profit is made. DIRECTV is no different. Typically it takes DIRECTV at least 18 months to break even on a new customer. Let me repeat that for the really thick-headed among you. It typically takes 18 months for DIRECTV to break even on the installation and set-up of a new customer. No business exists to just break even and no business continues to exist if they don't make a profit. Since its establishment DIRECTV has continually improved its service, content and technology. No business in the television service provider industry has a record as good as DIRECTV.

Some people complain that satellite TV use to be free. Really? If I recall a satellite system with a dish the size of Rhode Island ran about $8000 or more. That is about 6 years of DIRECTV service with the Premier package that contains over 285 channels of the most popular programming content available. No other TV service provider has anything even close. Of course, one does not have to have a TV service provider. For those of you who think TV should be free as your God given right, you can put up an antenna and get reception of local channels if you can get a strong enough signal. But shut your pie hole and don't complain when there is nothing to watch on TV or there is 30 minutes of program content and 30 minutes of advertising to pay for “free” TV. Or maybe you can watch programming content provided on the Internet that is free. But my friends, that is not free either. You either at least have to have Internet service which is not free, you are a mooch who only gets WI-fi from places like Starbucks or McDonald's (God love ya) or you are stealing service from someone. Who is the unethical one now?

Are you familiar with the Pareto Principle? I doubt it. Simply put 80% of effects are derived by 20% of causes. It is also referred to as the 80-20 Rule. How does it have relevance to this monologue? 80% of the problems/complaints are generated by 20% of the customers a company has. These disgruntled people also increase the expense of doing business and guess who gets to cover the bill? The 80 percent who are relatively satisfied. Do me/us a favor, go kill yourselves now, before you cost me/us another penny. I/we will be eternally grateful.

View more comments (2)

Directv in Knoxville, Tennessee - DTV - A Total Fraud/Scam

I was told my monthly bill would be 49.99, that I had 2 mos to cancel, that I'd only be charged 4.99 for 2 receivers since I "bought" the HD DVR, that my first mos bill would be $82, but each bill after that for 12 mos would be 49.99 +~ $10 for 2 receivers. My first mos bill, which I discovered less than 24 hrs after installation, was $98.50. When I called, I was told my next 12 bills would be ~ $76 - and that they had "no record" of my being told what I was told and no idea who "sold" me the "package", which they had "no record of." When I told them to cancel my service and get their equipment out of my house, they said "too late, you have to cancel within 24 hours". I said "what about the two mos.. what about everything I was PROMISED.." They said they were "sorry, you were misinformed". They are unscrupulous and this has to be illegal. Class Action needs to be brought for fraud. They have my debit card number.. I feel I have no way to protect myself from them.

You can call your bank and have any charge reversed as an "unauthorized charge". That's what I did after DTV secretly re-activated my account 10 months after I cancelled my service.

They are the worst company I have ever dealt with. But your bank will reverse the charge if you ask them to. That's the beauty of credit cards. Just explain that DTV scammed you. My bank told me DTV does this to people all the time.

A word to the wise, DTV will send you to the CBE group. which is a collection agency right after your reverse the charges. Which opens up a new batch of problems that can be dealt with.

Under the federal fair credit reporting act, you can dispute anything on your credit report, the 3 credit bureaus which are TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax they must PROVE what they are reporting about you is correct or delete the entry.

Directv Tv Service

Directv in Greenville, South Carolina - My payment was deposited on the wrong day!!! Overdraft charges!!!

On 07/14/08 I requested that a Directv CSR hold my payment until 07/18/08. She agreed and I received a confirmation #412575252. I had no reason to believe that she would not hold up her end of agreement. I later found out bu another CSR at Directv that the payment had been submitted on the same day as my original conversation 07/14/08. As a result my checking account was over drawn by $193.00 five checks were overdrawn. I am very upset as a single mother of two (one in college) and working two jobs. I really need Directv to make this right with me a what I thought was a valued customer. As a courtsey they could at least adjust my account. I have faxed my bank information and I would like to see good results.
Product
Directv Account

Directv is awful

When our city had experienced severe weather on July 15 our Directv dish was out of service, so we thought it would come back on the next day...whenever we have bad weather it goes out for an hour or so and comes back on. On July 16 when our service still showed that the sattlelite was looking for a signal, we called Directv. We told customer service that our service was out and they said it would be July 21 until they could get anyone out to fix it. We were upset as this would be almost a week without service, so we were directed to the cancellation department to see how much it would cost to get out of the rest of our contract. I spoke with a gal by the name of Brenda. She said it would be $340 as our contract runs thru Nov 2009. She appologized and offered us $10/month credit for 6 months and they will credit us anytime we are out of service once our connection is up and running. We set up the service call for July 21 between noon and 4 pm and accepted the offer. We received a call from Directv on Sunday July 20 to confirm that the service tech would be here on Monday July 21 between noon and 4 pm. On July 21 at 7:30 am we received a call from Directv that they are unable to get our service started now until July 29th and gave us no reason. I called the cancellation department and spoke with Jennifer. She told us she could give us the offer that Brenda had given us plus $100 credit for our troubles. I told her I would call her back as this is my husband's decision. All they have to do is go on our roof and move the sattlelite dish a few degrees for us to get service again. If my husband could do it, he would, but has a medical condition that won't allow him to do so. So we would be without service for 2 weeks total. Also, with the storms, we had roof damage, and when we had roofers up there, when our dish was installed, the tech made 2 holes and did not seal them properly, so we had to pay for that service when our roof was repaired.... This is not the only complaint we have though-everytime the weather is bad our service goes out, so we have no idea what is going on with warnings/etc. On top of that, back in December when one of our receivers went out, a tech came and fixed it for free since it was under warranty, but then put us on a protection plan for $5.99/month without our knowledge. We did not catch this until March when we received a post card thanking us for our purchase. I called Directv about this as well as we were billed this amount for 3 1/2 months without signing up. The rep told me he could only credit me for one month as they would not allow him to go back further than that for credit purposes. But then we were charged a cancellation fee of $10 for cancelling the protection plan we never signed up for! When I called directv about this, they offered us showtime for 3 months free... This company has billed us different amounts each month from day 1 and is very unreliable. We never get the same answer from anyone when we call and now we are scheduled for service call for July 29, but who's to say they won't call us that day and tell us they can't come out again! We have not decided at this time whether or not to accept Jennifer's offer, and have 5 days to do so. I think we'll go back to our cable company...

It sounds to me like they were trying to be very accomodating to you. I think you need to get over it and accept the fact that no service is perfect. Good grief!

View more comments (2)
Directv Tv Service
We had our Direct TV installed 3 years ago. when he came I was expecting a Direct TV van with a man in uniform so when I see a man with grubby clothes and dread locks down his back in an unmarked car I was surprised. After an hour of him being at the house, he came to...
#190870

I work for direct tv and I can say for a fact that if a person in there own car and not in a direct tv uniform then they are just a contractor for direct tv and have not been fully trained due to the laws and contracts that have to be followed. they are held up to the same standered as actually employees that wear the uniform proudly and drive the van all over the state proudly.

If there is custom labor on a house then yes there is a slight charge but I can gurantee you that it isnt $200 for a pole mount. If you are not happy with the service that you recived then you are more then welcome to call and voice your complaints just make sure that you get your techs name they are suppose to show you there id card at least three times while at your house. Direct tv them selves do a very extensive background check on there techs.

Direct tv is all about making the customer happy if you aint happy we aint happy. I am sorry that you had a bad experiance with us but I can gurantee that as an employee of direct tv will not treat you like that.

View more comments
Directv Installation

Directv in Cookson, Oklahoma - Stolen Remote

These guys are the worst. The installed took our remote control for our DVR because he was unhappy with the the fact that we didn't want them to place the dish smack in the middle-front of our home. The installer showed up with attitude and left claiming we wasted HIS time. when we called to get it rectified, we were pushed around without being able to speak to a manager or supervisor. i have complained to DirecTV with nothing but - i am sorry......this is the worst customer service experience we have ever had. if you are in the Lake Tahoe Region, i recommend asking for the Sacramento installers.
Directv Manager

Directv charged me $400 with no grounds to do so!

Two months ago they charge me twice for the same thing ($89 each) but 3 c/s reps can't find it in computer. Finally a Nice Honest c/s supervisor finds it and makes sure my account is credited! I sign up for inhome insurance and they dont activate it for two months but still charge me for both.Now im past due ($85) by two weeks and they charge me my past due fee AND $400 for being "two months" past due plus bill me ahead for the next month! Had to demand they drop the $400 cause im only 2 wks past due!!tehy love to commit illeagal billing!

Directv is scamming customers, I feel for you, because the did to me aswell. They told me that I needed a land line in order form me to be able to order pay per view, how is it that now they are charging me $400 plus for pay per view channels that I have watch especially for ***.

Product
Directv Account

Directv in Knoxville, Tennessee - Wrongfully accused

I am living on the wrong land. Im only seventeen years old. I have lived here for six years we baught this place from my uncle johny rosenbaum. Direct tv wouldn't accept my name because he owes them money at this current address. why should i half to pay his bill or suffer for his wrong doings and why was the word fraud put next to my name under the satellite companys review? the funny thing is you cancelled after i had already payed for it so were is my money? Does it feel good to rip off a seventeen year old girl?
Loss