Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show
I decided after many years to consider leaving Dish. I was sold on getting the availability of being able to record more than two shows at a time and also the added value of having a larger hard drive to store a full season of a couple of my favorite shows. Once I got...

DirectTV will promise anything to get someone signed up for their service. Walmart,Sams&Best Buy all know that DTV lies and is deceiving their customers into signing up for their 2 yrs+ contract.

Sam's, Walmart & Best Buy makes a lot of money by allowing DTV to do thiis. Sam's and Walmart,&Best Buy act as if they are not aware of the false promises being made to the customers by DTV.

I stopped going to Sam's & Best Buy for this very reason. I only go to Walmart for my prescriptions.

Directv in Bellevue, Washington - Cancellation of NEWS MIX

I am so angry that you cancelled the news mix that my husband and I are looking elsewhere and thinking of canceling Direct Tv after 12 years with you! There was no advanced warning and it is completely impossible to find any news station except CNNHD now. If we select the category "news" most of those listed ARE NOT news !!! Sport stations are SPORTS and *** channels to be purchased ate not and should not be listed in the News category...as well as infomercial channels. By having the News Mix, all the news was available so that you could view and select the stations without having to search each one or know the number of the news station. Also, you could view what type of news was currently on before selecting the channel which is important because the shows at different times of the day on each news station varies and are not always familiar to the viewer. One show may be a type of new but not necessarily the type of news that your looking for. If we only wanted to see our local news we could save $170 dollars a month for Direct Tv!!! Marsha Moussette
Loss

Directv in Nashville, Tennessee - DIRECT TV-NO FREE MOVE-They'll get Ya!!

I was told that I would have 1 free move from direct TV when signing up, since we pretty much lost most of our home in the Nashville Flood and had Direct TV for over 5 years had to move to an Apartment and signed a new 2 year-contract with the devil, hence Apartment living may or may not be as long as the contract, it took us several month to move, we didn't have the TV hooked up right away Apt. lease ended and we were scammed $250 to move dish..and they don't even take the old dish down at your apartment Haaa we would have been charged so we removed-yes pounded that baby out of the dang ground. They used the excuse because we moved before we had it for one year-we didn't get it free (not in contract anywhere)..we moved 1 month before..so NOW funny thing all our discounts are ending because of course now one month later all your first year discounts come off and it will go up $30..THEY GET YA one way or another..OH FYI they also use the scam that when you call to schedule them for any reason to come out they have to charge your credit card the fee or they cannot even get to the calendar to set up a time..really in this day an age they cannot go to another screen?..Oh just a note about refer a friend I wouldn't even do that to any of my friends. The day the minute I can cancel and I'll be watching not to early not to late..TO CANCEL..Oh on the upside all the installers have been nice give them props where deserved..but in most cases they are contractors not employees.

Directv in Vallejo, California - DIRECT TV

I terminated my service with DIRECT TV on November 17th (I had ATT U-verse installed) ...They refused to honor that date and are billilg me for the whole month of november till Dec 6 th ! I spoke with there -so-called- customer service department and was told that I had to pay even though I was not using their service - I feel that they are punishing me for changing service!!!Thats wrong!!!! I don't feel that I was treated fairly. I was a loyal customer even after my contract expired.There must be something that I can do to solve this ...if not ...my pleasure is knowing that I FIRED DIRECT TV for *** service !!!!

I hope you get this resolved...I had DirectTV and AT&T bundled for phone and internet and found AT&T was a partner in crime with DTV. AT&T denied knowing about DTV's dirty practice but I found this to be pretty incredible since they were partners

ATTCustomerCare

Hi, I am sorry that you are having an issue with your Direct TV billing. I will be happy to help get this resolved for you.

Can you please send me an email with your account number and contact number to ATTNancyM@att.com? In the subject line please put Pissedconsumer 870cd3 Direct TV.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Nancy AT&T Social Media Manager

View more comments (1)
Tags
  • loyal customer

Directv in Dallas, Texas - Direct TV Scam

RUN!! We had a faulty receiver and were told by three different customer service reps that they were aware of the problem for the past 2 months but had not resolved it. Only when I called to cancel did they offer a new receiver. Their horrible customer service and attempt try to strong arm us to stay with them by threatening to charge us a $200 cancellation fee is at best poor business practices. I asked to speak to a supervisor and the customer service rep said he was a supervisor. When I asked to speak to his superior he told me that the offer would still be the same. Only after asking him did he "own Direct TV?" did he agree to connect me to a supervisor. It took about 15 minutes for the supervisor to come on the line. Are they going to pay the overage on my cell phone because they tried to get me to hang up out of frustration? The irony, they offered a $200 Visa gift card if we would stay with them.
Review

Directv is full of liars. DO NOT SIGN UP.

My entire family has had Directv for years and my parents have had them since the company was called Primestar. When I moved into my apartment, my fiancé and I decided to call and price check a couple of companies for cable and internet. We called Directv first, and explained that we needed internet and cable. The representative told us that since we were bundling, we would get $10 off a month as well as the $10 off for a referral. He told us we could get cable and internet for $29.99 a month. We asked him repeatedly if that was the complete price we'd have to pay for both and he said yes. We knew how much the competitors charged and just knew we couldn't get a better deal than that. We scheduled an appointment for the internet setup (Nov. 30) and Directv (Dec. 1). When we went online that night to check the account information, we noticed that they had my fiancé's name wrong. We called the next day to correct it and they told us they couldn't just correct it but would have to cancel our account and create a new one. Annoying, but necessary. That night, we checked again. Directv didn't even have our apartment number on the account. We called to see if they could just add it and they said no and proceeded to say that unless the apartment number was on there, we couldn't have our equipment delivered and installed. They had to cancel our order...again...and re-create it...again. This time, everything was set and the rest of the week was quiet. Friday (Nov. 30) rolled around and when afternoon came and the internet guys still hadn't arrived, we called to find out what was going on. Apparently, when they cancelled/re-created our account the first time, the lady never added the internet back on our account! They added it, rescheduled the internet installation for December 6th and confirmed we'd be paying $29.99 after the $20+ had come off for our discounts. The next day, the Directv man showed up. Not only could he not get into our apartment building (apparently he doesn't know how to look for the name and hit call), but he drove past the entrance to the parking deck THREE times...while on the phone with us...and still told us he couldn't find it. He ended up parking in a side alley and taking the elevator. When he first walked up to us, all he said was "I have some bad news. I don't think you can have Directv here." I looked him straight in the face and told him that we could and we had two Directv dishes on the decks of the apartments right next to ours. He stuttered and then followed us to the apartment. For those of you not living in apartments, Directv requires us to get a "Dish approval" form from the apartment management office and the Directv technician must ask for it and read it. Well, this guy clearly had no idea what he was doing. I gave him the form, but he never read it. In the form, it stated that no screws or nails were supposed to be used during installation and now we have 4 of them on our deck and one inside our apartment. I know that seems trivial, but if our apartment complex charges us for them, we have no choice but to pay. Anyway, we live in the city and we have a skyline view. When we first called Directv, we asked them to please give us the smallest dish they had. They never asked us if we wanted the HD receiver and they never asked us if we wanted the Genie. We never told them we wanted either of those. The guy brings us this monster of a dish and mounts it right in the middle of our skyline view. It legitimately blocks the whole view and we can't even stand on that side of the deck. He left at 11am, Saturday morning and I was on the phone with Directv at noon to talk about the dish. That's when they informed me that we had the larger dish because that's what we needed for the HD/DVR receiver...which we never asked for! The lady was really nice and told us that we had 14 days to decide if we wanted the smaller dish and no HD/DVR or if we wanted the dish moved. During the 14 days, the service would be free and after that, it would cost. I told her that I had to talk to my fiancé and I'd call back. She said no problem, went back over the bundle and the monthly cost with me and we disconnected. After deciding that we wanted to downgrade our service and get the smaller dish, I called again. The lady I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about and said she'd have a technician contact me in 20-30 minutes. Forty-five minutes later, the technician called and informed us that they wouldn't touch the dish because it was a liability. They told us we'd have to hire a 3rd party to remove the dish and leave it there and then Directv would come out and move it or replace it but we'd still have to pay the technician. I was pissed and got off the phone. A few hours later, I called back and talked to yet another customer service representative. She told me that they could come move the dish but she said my service would be horrible and it would cost me $75 for the technician fee or I could replace it with a smaller dish and pay $45 for materials and $75 for technician fee. I explained to her that it wasn't like I was keeping both dishes, that they were getting their merchandise back. I wasn't about to pay them MORE money when I was downgrading my service. I hung up. That was day 1 and that was 12pm-6pm spent on the phone with them. The next day, we decided that Comcast would be a better option for us. It was more expensive, but we would get faster internet and no dish. The Directv technician stood in our livingroom and told us we had 30 days from the day of installation to cancel, free of charge. He said after that, we'd be charged $480. Less than 48 hours later, I called Directv to cancel it and they told me that if I cancel, I have to pay a $460 cancellation fee. After the customer service representative shut my service off (BEFORE I CANCELLED IT), I asked for a supervisor. I explained the whole ordeal to him and he couldn't say much more than, "We can't credit you the cancellation fee, you had 24 hours to cancel". The only piece of paper we signed was the form the technician gave us. I read it before I signed it and I have it in front of me now, no where does it say anything about "24 hours". I told him that and he said that the company had sent me emails with links, to links to places that stated their 24 hour cancellation policy. I told him point blank, "What sense does it make to send something like that to someone through email WHEN THEY ARE ORDERING INTERNET THROUGH YOUR COMPANY? That clearly means that I don't have internet and can't read those emails." He stuttered a bit and repeated again, "We can't credit you the cancellation fee, you had 24 hours to cancel". At this point, I was shaking. I told him that the technician had told us we had 30 days and the supervisor told me that the technician didn't represent the company. I'm sorry, but if you walk into my house with a company badge on, you represent that company. Why would I NOT believe someone that works for a company, telling me about that company? I talked to him for an hour and said all that I needed to say. I was never rude, I never yelled, but I got my point across. Accepting the fact that I was stuck with them, I called my mom (who, as I've said before, also has directv). She was pissed and called them to ask another representative about it. The lady was super nice and my mom ended up setting up a 3-way call so we could all go over everything. She set up an appointment to move the dish and then asked me if I still wanted the standard receiver I had ordered earlier that day. Uhm. What? Apparently, the first Directv representative I talked to earlier that day, ordered me a standard receiver, for no reason. Dumbfounded, I cancelled it. Then I started asking about internet companies to see if they had any providers with faster internet. Since I wasn't going to be switching to another service any time soon, I wanted to see what I could do with what I was stuck with. She was reading through them and said we had the fastest and cheapest one they had, but that she didn't know how much it was. I was confused. I told her, well that's included in my bundle. We're paying $29.99 a month for cable and internet. She said no, that $29.99 was JUST for cable and that they didn't know what the bill from the internet company was. I was furious. At least 4 customer service representatives had lied to me. So my fiancé called the internet company while I stayed on the phone with my mom and Directv. That's when I got one of the biggest shocks of the week. The internet company informed her that our service through them was going to run $59.99 a month but because we bundled with Directv, we'd get $10 off...bringing our grand total (JUST FOR INTERNET) to $49.99. Well, we cancelled that right away. I couldn't believe it. I was in complete awe. This company lied to us so many times, no two representatives told us the same thing, AND now we had to find another internet company. We're still quite pissed off about the whole ordeal. We've gone with Comcast for internet and...well...we're stuck with Directv for the next 2 years unless we magically come up with $460. Bottom line, don't believe anything they say. While the deal is nice...what comes with it is more of a headache than it's worth.

If your whole family had DirecTv then surely they couldnt have been that bad. Most companies contract technicians in different states to install satellites it is not uncommon.

I do agree with you the technician should have advise you of the 24 hour cancellation, but he gets paid per job. And judging by your statement although you were upset about your view I am sure you were not being to polite to him.

And you probably get upset by me saying that, but why in the world would he hurt his money for someone who was probably being a *** and talking down to him because he got lost.... moral of the story read your contracts

Stripedrecord
@helpful

I was actually really polite to the service man. I'm too shy to be outright rude to someone.

He flat out told us we had 30 days to cancel, so I'm guessing not even he knew about the 24 hours! My parents only keep them, because they have the same contract they had back when it was prime star-and that contract has a lot o special benefits that are no longer available in new contracts. I would have read the contract, if I had been given one.

They said they sent me an email with a link to a place that explained the contract, but I didn't have Internet...which is why I was bundling an ordering it through them! There's just no need for someone to be so shady and to treat someone like that.

If something sounds too good to be true,it usually is! this certainly holds true for DirectTV!

You might benefit from reading all the complaints about them online and kind of get an idea what you may face in the next 2 years. I am sorry this happened to you or anyone cause I'v been there done that with DTV. The number one thing I would advise you to do is to pay them with money orders and keep all the receipts.

If you are paying them through autopay,you need to find a way to change this and change your bank account # or credit card whichever they have on file for you.It is a lot of trouble but it may save them from charging your account later on for. For the record,do not put anything past DTV,they are the dirtiest company and there is no dealing with them,they lie and you never speak to the same person twice.

Stripedrecord
@Anonymous

I completely agree. I understand that companies need to make their money, but there are other ways to do it.

They would get a lot more business if they were honest, but in these days, that's really a lot to ask for.

We're currently set up for autopay because that allows us to continue getting different advantages that we wouldn't get if we didn't have it. However, if overcharging becomes an issue, we'll for sure be changing that.

View more comments (3)
Loss

Directv in Punta Gorda, Florida - Direct TV RIPOFF ! ! ! ! !

Moved to FL, went to use the existing direct tv antenna, (yes I am a subscriber). Could not make it work. Called tech support and they verified that the dish (1 year old) was incompatible with my receiver. I was shunted to a turd in the 'movers' section who told me that they have two types of dishes any mine was the wrong one. Cost for them to change the dish would be $500, but they would lower that to $200. This ***, who was quite snotty, (name of Edgar), then hung up when I protested that it was their dish that was wrong, not my error. Now can't get tv, can't afford to pay for their upgrade and am stuck. Anyone dealing with these jerks is a victim
Loss

Directv in Aurora, Iowa - I HAVE A DISCREPENCY WITH A MOVERS SPECIAL!when i moved i was supose to get a movers special i su

did i recieved a 400.bill in the mail i was so distraught i called 3 times to make arrangements they would not they wanted the whole amount , im disabled and social security is my only income dec 3 when i went to pay water bill my ss card denied it come to find out derect tv took my whole social security 643.00 i cannot buy x mas or pay my bills they took the money without permission and i cannot get it back so devistated!terry jones rylee22001@yahoo.com. cannot stop crying. direct tv will not return my whole months income
Loss

Directv in Denver, Colorado - "Loyal" customer finally HAD IT with DTV!

Wow! Finally thought I found a retention rep willing to pacify me for being a "loyal" customer for over 12 years. After 1.5+ hours on the phone, it finally felt that DTV would actually 'reward' me by offering to bundle with my phone/internet service to save cash. Can't believe I was SO naive! They were to upgrade my DVR (finally; only have capacity of 45 recording hours!) and add a 2nd one at no additional charge. Also, they would credit me approximately $18/mo. off my current $80+/mo bill for a whole year. And, yeah; BTW, may just throw in a prepaid VISA card for my trouble, and, don't forget the usual offer of 2-mos (only, REALLY?) of premium channels at no charge! As instructed, had to contact Centurylink (phone/internet provider) to inform them of the bundle (so THEY could now bill me); and was told the phone/internet credit for the bundling would only be $5/mo., not $15/mo. as told. I told Centurylink to forget the bundle, and called DTV back and cancelled the whole 'bundle" deal. The backstory to this is I had to practically beg for this *** remanufactured "replacement" DVR over a 6-mo period a few years back, which they charged me for. This was after at least 4 calls complaining of a defective DVR, which they would not acknowledge! And prior to that, and during a major health crisis, they overcharged me for over a year of HBO and an additional receiver I did not have. I finally got them to admit their mistake and they gave me credit for that. But gee! How horrible is that? They don't care about loyalty! They just offer screaming deals to NEW customers and screw the rest of us! Too bad - they have great programming and I've been happy with their service. As long as you don't have a change of income due to illness and job loss or have to contact them for anything, they're great! But don't expect customer service. That is a total fallacy and I truly cannot believe they keep winning a J.D. Powers award for such! I'm totally appalled with the (mis)management of this place! The FCC really needs to fine them something that would actually cut into their greedy, dishonest business and notify everyone who has been wronged that they actually got "hurt"!!!
alice01242013

I agree you can so longer trust Directv. They have become morally corrupt as evidenced by their rude, unprofessional, and disrespectul attitude toward customers.

Early on, they were not like that. Guess it just goes to show money corrupts and they are collecting lots of it.

. .

I have been a customer of my water company for more than 10 years they do not give me a discount because i have extra bills. Water is almost something you have to have coming into the home. Tv is a luxury

:cry :cry :cry you money problems are not there problem just get a converter box! your provider is not your friend there a business.

You might want to find out if replacing the DVR locked you into another contract. I don't believe the JD Powers award either,DTV lies about everything else and is probably lying about this too.

View more comments (3)
Loss
According to internet sources, Directv is in negotiations with Gannett Broadcasting re rate increase (not consumers problems except for the greed passed along to the consumer) in 23 markets including Sacramento. Now Directv has blocked our access to that channel. Not...

I have been a Directv customer for over 20 years. I pay my bill every month even though it is way too high.

ABC is my favorite local channel for news and entertainment.

If Directv takes this away I will seriously consider changing my tv service. The negotiations with CBS took way too long and should have been settled before it affected your loyal customers.

View more comments