Coverage Area

I live in a part of St Pete, Fl that does not have FIOS optics installed yet, therefore by getting a Verizon package I would have to use Direct TV as my cable (Satellite) Provide and Verizon for phone and Internet.

I called Verizon because my recent Bright House bill just seemed insanely expensive. I do like Bright House because they have no contracts, good customer service, and show up for appts.Also I am dealing with one company.

The Verizon salesman on the phone was smart, polished, and concerned with MY needs. After he explained the whole bundle in great detail because I asked a lot of questions, its seemed pretty good. All three services with 3 mos of HBO and 2 other premiums, no mo equipment fees, hardly no taxes, would be 92 dollars not 175.

In summation I said ok, so there are no contracts. (the verizon part had no contracts), He said WELLLLL. there is a 24 mo contract with direct TV. Never mentioned in a hour call. I was not thrilled with Direct TV in a hurricane prone state to begin with. Let alone a contract. He assured me if you have probs, he knows that Direct TV always lets people out of their contracts.

I said thank you for all your time, I need 2 days to research this. Please call me because I wanted him to get the commission.

In short order I learned all the small print and reality online.

1. One the 13th month Direct TV can raise their rates to whatever they want. If I want out I have to pay 20 dollars a month for the remaining contract. Direct TV does have probs in bad weather states. Read stories like these of slimy practices, iron clad contracts.

2, Verizon Internet I was going to get was not the super fast FIOS Internet, but a much slower DSL. I had to pay more if I wanted to make a landline call OUTSIDE of FLORIDA....not the USA, FLORIDA.

When I googled reviews of Direct TV all I got were pages of complaints.

3. TV, Cable, Internet are all going to change a lot soon. I dont want to be tied to a 24 month contract that is outdated by new cheaper services.

I am so glad I never signed up for this bundle. I lowered my BH bill by trimming down everything to are min and I will wait for the changes coming very soon where cable will be like Netflix. HBO already has announced they are breaking away.

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Tv Package.

Directv Cons: Small print and 24 mo contract.

Comments