East Moline, Illinois

I cancelled service with Directv after 10 years of continuous service. I became fed up with the fact that I have been with them so long, and they offer no deals for their current customers.

We had five receivers in our home. When I cancelled service they deducted $166.13 from my checking account without my authorization. When I tried to speak to a supervisor I was put on hold for an hour and 15 minutes, finally "Patrick" who refused to give me his title refused to refund this unauthorized transaction saying I had to go through my bank. U was told that it is Directv Policy to automatically withdraw the amount of the last bill if they have a credit card number on file.

I never authorized this transaction! My bank can not do anything until the payment is out of "pending" status, then they can refer it to the fraudulent transaction department. When I asked what his title was I was given a *** response of "who did you ask for?". Still trying to find out what kind of supervisor I was speaking to I requested his department name and who he supervises.

He refused to answer that question. I asked for a telephone number for Directv's corporate offices and he told me he was not authorized to give me that information. If that is the case, how is a person supposed to file an internal complaint with Directv??? This company has really given me a run around!

I did file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

The moral of this story is, If you are a current customer with Directv, never, never, never use a debit card or credit card for anything because they will "steal" money from your account!

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Account.

Comments

You people are pathetic, paranoid and are probably liberal Democrats that think everyone should get everything for nothing as well. For anyone that thinks that all businesses are out to get you I would encourage you to get professional help immediately before you kill again. While occasionally one of you may have been victim of an error or perhaps even an intentional act of deception for the most part most of you are simply clueless or qualify as perpetrators of fraud yourselves.

A company the size of DIRECTV has a legal department the size of a small Midwestern town that advises them on every policy and practice that they employ. Now I'm not saying that there are no instances of an individual that works for DIRECTV misleading a customer, intentionally or unintentionally. But as a corporate entity DIRECTV has everything to lose by setting policy and engaging in practices that are detrimental to its bottom line. The only way to avoid attrition is keep the customers you have happy so they will tell others.

DIRECTV has about 18 million customers and they continue to grow. Apparently most of those 18 million are pretty well satisfied because DIRECTV has been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction for 9 years running. If they were p-i-s-s-i-n-g (Funny isn't it, that a website that is called Pissed Consumer won't let the word *** be used in posts. Pretty hypocritical.) off even 1% of their customers there would be about 180,000 people or so that should be posting on this site yet there is only a handful. Now of the 18 million or so people who are DIRECTV customers they are either 18 million of the stupidest people on the face of the Earth or the less than 1% who claim to have been duped are. Which is it? My money is on the 180,000 or less.

DIRECTV agents are trained for 2 weeks before they take a single call. Then they go through another 2 weeks of On-The-Job training under the watchful eye of trainers. And once they are allowed to take calls without extremely close supervision they are subject to frequent monitoring to ensure that they deliver a quality consumer experience. Every call an agent takes is recorded and archived. They are required to quote accurate pricing based on what they are told by the prospective customer. If the customer attempts or does provide inaccurate information in an attempt to get service or discounts they are not entitled to how does the DIRECTV or one of its agents have responsibility for inaccurate pricing or information that could result. Agents are required to inform all customers that they are leasing, not buying equipment and upon termination of services the equipment must be returned to DIRECTV or the credit or debit card that they provided when they became a DIRECTV customer would be charged for the cost of the equipment. Customers are told to review their 1st bill and the Customer Agreement that is included carefully and to keep both for their records. New customers are told the length of their agreement and if they break that agreement due to early cancellation then they are subject to early cancellation fees. Currently this is $20 per month left in the agreement term. It will be charged to the credit or debit card they provided when they set up service.

You see, when someone calls to sign up for DIRECTV some do not listen closely to what they are being told. It is my assessment that those who claim to have wronged are probably among those who wanted to rush through the sign-up process, argued with the agent about the length of the agreement, felt the cancellation fees were unfair or just ignored any information that the agent provided that didn't line up with their own personal perception of what they did or didn't have to do to hold up their end of the bargain. They think that to provide TV service as content rich as what DIRECTV provides is free, that DIRECTV gets 100% profit from every dollar they take in. Get a clue. Every business that exists today makes an investment and has an expense before any profit is made. DIRECTV is no different. Typically it takes DIRECTV at least 18 months to break even on a new customer. Let me repeat that for the really thick-headed among you. It typically takes 18 months for DIRECTV to break even on the installation and set-up of a new customer. No business exists to just break even and no business continues to exist if they don't make a profit. Since its establishment DIRECTV has continually improved its service, content and technology. No business in the television service provider industry has a record as good as DIRECTV.

Some people complain that satellite TV use to be free. Really? If I recall a satellite system with a dish the size of Rhode Island ran about $8000 or more. That is about 6 years of DIRECTV service with the Premier package that contains over 285 channels of the most popular programming content available. No other TV service provider has anything even close. Of course, one does not have to have a TV service provider. For those of you who think TV should be free as your God given right, you can put up an antenna and get reception of local channels if you can get a strong enough signal. But shut your pie hole and don't complain when there is nothing to watch on TV or there is 30 minutes of program content and 30 minutes of advertising to pay for “free” TV. Or maybe you can watch programming content provided on the Internet that is free. But my friends, that is not free either. You either at least have to have Internet service which is not free, you are a mooch who only gets WI-fi from places like Starbucks or McDonald's (God love ya) or you are stealing service from someone. Who is the unethical one now?

Are you familiar with the Pareto Principle? I doubt it. Simply put 80% of effects are derived by 20% of causes. It is also referred to as the 80-20 Rule. How does it have relevance to this monologue? 80% of the problems/complaints are generated by 20% of the customers a company has. These disgruntled people also increase the expense of doing business and guess who gets to cover the bill? The 80 percent who are relatively satisfied. Do me/us a favor, go kill yourselves now, before you cost me/us another penny. I/we will be eternally grateful.

They do steall and I will give you examples: (1) I was moving and wanted to suspend my account, at the time I only owed 67.76 the other was a bill they were trying to collect (as everyone should know they bill you a month of service ahead of time) needless to say I wasn't going to be there to have that month service. So there response was: You have to pay a total of 136.??

in order to suspend for moving package. I am not going to pay a month for service I am not getting. Well a friend of mine let me use his credit card for a 1 time pay by phone. I was never told nor did he authorized nor did I authorize nor sign anything as such for them to keep that credit card on there file for my account.

Well as of last week they charged his card 146.76 which now has created overdrafts fees and more headaches than you can imagine and he has no account with them. And I have never recieved a final bill showing what this charge was for and I think that is unethical. Not only to say I never canelled my service nor should have been charged a 15.00 fee for it.. just wanted it suspended for a move.And needless to say I disputed all this from the get go and if you read there own words we will not collect any funds until the dispute is resolved.

As of today I still have never got any response for this dispute, so yes they do steal, and they do it thru a loop hole.

Letting companies do this and getting away with it thru a *** loop hole we will soon find other companies do it. Then what you gonna do?

They do still and i will give you examples: 1 I was moving and wanted to suspend my account at the time I only owed 67.76 the other bill they were trying tocollect as everyone should kow they bill you a month of service ahead of time, needless to say I wasn't going to have that month service. So there response was you have to pay a total of 136.??

in order to suspend for moving package. I am not going to pay a month for service I am not getting. Well a friend of mine let me use his credit card 1 time to pay by phone I was never told nor authorized nor he to keep that credit card on there file for my account. Well as of last week they charged his card 146.76 which now has created overdrafts fees and more headaches than you can imagine and he has no account with them.

Not only to say I never canelled my service just wanted it suspended for a move.And needless to say I disputed all this from the get go and if you read there own words well will not collect any funds until the dispute is resolved as of today I still have never got any response for this dispute so yes they do steal, and they do it thru a loop hole. You may have gave them authorization for a 1 time pay but not for continuous as they see fit.

Ahill,

I don't understand how DirecTV stole your money. Did you owe that money from your last bill? If so, that was owed.