Dayton, Ohio

I have been using 'Direct TV' for the last 13 months. Now, DirectTV cancelling one of my favourite Tamil channel (Star ViJay) starting from Feb1, 2011 and also forcing us to watch some other Indian channel which I do not understand at all and also we do not like it...

I have been keep calling DirectTV and express my concern that: Either keep providing me 'STar Vijay' channel or dis-connect the Direct TV without any penalty (because, I have signed 2 years contact with Direct TV about 13 months back).

Direct TV management says, they can't waive the penalty fees (~$20/month for the remaining 11 months) and also they can't provide me the channel which I am already watching (Star Vijay). No Indian channels available which we understand (we understand only Tamil - one of Indian language). They keep forcing us to watch 'what they do have', not concerning whether we understand (even beyond whether the viewer like it or not) or not.

What should I do now?. Please advice me.

Thanks a lot..

with Regards

Rajendran (Raj)

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Tv Service.

Comments

These elephants do the same mess to all the Indians. Vote for Donkey and you can use for all your

junky

#772005

You can take them to small claims court and sue for breach of contract. Ask the judge to allow you to cancel the service without penalty.

The contract you entered was for programming existing at that time, which should be construed as a breach of your contract with them. Small claims is very cheap and if they don't show up for the court date they automatically lose. You do not need a lawyer, you argue your own case. I don't know if anyone has ever done this before so if you win your case it will become a landmark in that area of the law.

Good luck. They are talking about dropping the Weather Channel so if they do I may do the same thing.

@Anonymous

This has been tried before here is how it goes you file small claims, they hire a local attorney to go show the agreement that say DirecTV can change packages anytime, case dismissed, you appeal then you need an attorney to file appeals then DirecTV can now ask for court cost, now when you loose you have to pay the cost of getting beat in court

Same thing happened to me.. i have contract until June 2011. But it has been very frustrating. Vijay TV also keeps repeating few programs over again and again.

Anyways my son just started liking Super singer juniors...

I contacted Direct TV and it said that the 24 months contract is for the equipment.... and seemingly it was mentioned somewhere in the contract that "programming and channels are subject to change"

I have to live with the equipment tied to my leg for another 4 months.

Anyways my son just started liking Super singer juniors...

I have to live with the equipment tied to my leg for another 4 months.

I am also another person affected the same way.

-- Vijay is moving to Comcast Xfinity.

When you say, Comcast, do you know if we can watch with Xfinity, is it through Xfinity.tv? I live in east coast where there is no Comcast. Wanted to know if we can subscribe to Xfinity alone and watch.

Also heard ChannelLive.tv is providing Vijay - currently as beta though

Vijay is moving to Comcast Xfinity

BBB would be the only resort now. I contacted them and got a response. Now it's wait & watch to see what DirecTV will say.

Same issue. I have to be with DIRECT TV till Oct'11.

I am sorry for those who are affected by this change. I really thank God 'cuz my contract ended with Directv on Dec.20.

I called them and to disconnect. They gave me $180 credit to continue with them. I can use this money to pay my forthcoming months bill with Directv. Once I came to know VijayTV is not going to be with Directv, I called them to give me some other English channels.

The customer service rep told me they can give me some other channels for free and also they will not charge me $14.99 which I have been paying for VijayTV. I am sorry for those who are affected by this change. You can ask them to get you out of the contract. If they don't let you go out, please ask them to reduce $14.99 which you have been paying for the VijayTV.

I don't think any other company provides the VijayTV.

So you can keep the English channels with Directv with the reduced charges until your contract period ends. God bless!

We are in same boat as well. It doesn't make sense to read all the lines in the Service Agreement where everything seems to be in their favour.

They say they have right to discontinue any channel(s) / shows.

I regeret for taking Direct TV. A friend of mine just took this a month back, you could image what would be his penalty 20 * 23 = 460 USD.

I pity the Pakistani rebel to poke his nose in topic that has no relation to him.

entha muttalai nam aravodu mannippom.

We have a saying in Tamil "Nai vaalai nimirtha mudiyathu" " Naayai kulipatti nadu veetil vaithal athu thirumbavum *** thinna than poogum" This Pakistanis time and again demonstrate that...

God save them from detoriating further

Hi Folks

Even i am affected by this, i moved to Directv only for the sake of Starvijay, now i dont want to switch to DISHA as they offer, i have never heard of this channel in the first place, also Directv gives no option to exit, but on the contrary telling me that i should take regular base package if i dont choose any international channel. this will end me spending more than what i am speding (and that too without vijay tV.

I have setup a yahoo group named STARVIJAYconsumers. please go to www.groups.yahoo.com and search the above groups name and pls register yoruself quickly. We can collectively file a complaint with BBB - Better Business Bureau. Also we can file a complaint with the respective state Attorney General for rescue, note only collective complaint will get immediate rederessal..... so folks please sign up and i will take up the case further

We have the same issue. The only reason I have direct TV is because of Vijay TV. I would cancel Direct TV without Vijay TV. Look like this is going to be a long draged battle.

I think all the Vijay TV viewers should get to gather and push hard on Direct TV to brease or loosen the contract.

Any thoughts how we should approach this?

I think we have legal case here where we have every right to cancel the screwed up direct tv without any penalty. How about a class action on those mother frs...

#232011

We have the same issue too. When I spoke to Direct TV i got the same response.

The only reason we got direct tv was for Vijay.

Does anyone know where Vijay is moving?

Have the exact same problem and I understand your concern. I think they should let us go out of contract without any penalty OR provide us with some discounts to stay on DirecTV - Star Vijay was the only reason I moved from Dish Network to DirecTV.