Livingston, New Jersey

We contacted DirectTV about service. We made them fully aware of our need for mobile service.

They assured us their service would work.

They came out and installed and it did work. 2 weeks after the installation we went on vacation....we did not take the satellite with us as we knew we would have cable where we were going.

When we got back the satellite could not find a signal. They sent a tech out. He was not able to find the signal. He also informed us that the dish they set us up with was the hardest to acquire a signal on.

My husband talked to the office..and they admitted that the dish we had was hard to acquire a signal with. Without it however, we couldnot get the HDTV that we wanted.

He told them to cancel the service since they could not provide us with what we had asked for.

He was told that it would cost $440.00 to cancel the service. He responded..."we have to pay for something that you can't deliver" The response was "We don't promise that you will get a signal just that we make the equipment available and make every effort to help you obtain the signal.

We feel that we should not have to pay for something that could not be delivered.

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Installation.

Comments

#221944

I live in Southfield, MI. In May 2010 I called Directtv to switch from Dish Network because of a promotional brochure $29 monthly, 3 months of HBO & Showtime, 1 DVR and a visa gift card for “switching” service that was sent to me.

I spoke with a rep who told me "No Problem" we can match the service and give you $150 visa for “switching” service. I advised I was paying $24.99 monthly for basic service with HBO & Showtime with 4 DVR boxes. They asked for my credit card for a one time billing. In “good faith” I gave it to them.

They didn't show when they were suppose to. When they did they spoke with my 17 year old and had him let them in. When I got home, there wasn't any instructions on how to use; and I had to call to find out how to get to my local news channel. There was no DVR's in any of my rooms.

I didn't have HBO or Showtime. Those were my first 2 breaches of my contract. The first two months I got a bill for $60 odd dollars. Which I called on and they made it impossible, I was told by a rep I had to go on line to get this "rebate" that was not disclosed to me when calling in order.

When it didn't work I wanted a rep, I was told I would be charged $20 a month for the rest of my contract for getting a rep to assist me with this problem. Fast forward I’ve had a couple of surgeries for a reoccurring tumor this year and it’s now December, I never “cancelled” my contract; I was indisposed. Direct TV “cancelled” my contract and WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION charged my Visa debit $600. The only reason I knew this is, I filed a Police Report on unauthorized charges that had been taken out of my account that has caused financial stress to my family because I couldn’t work at this point.

Now I can’t pay my light or gas bill and it is winter.

Is it legal for Direct TV to breach their contract and charge me in the process? I feel that this is a bait & switch tactic by their company, and a breach of promise.

There has to be an attorney looking to get these monsters, just look at the web there is so many people hurt by direct tv. there is even a facebook page with almost 1000 people so far.

Direct TV

Corporate Office

Ms. Ellen Filipiak

Sr. VP, Customer Care

2230 East Imperial Highway

El Segundo, CA 90245

Direct TV "hides" this address but I found it! Bombard Ms. Filipiak with your complaints! Maybe, just maybe, they will realize JUST HOW BAD their service is and make changes. They hire and train people to be TOTALLY INCOMPETENT and then tie to you exorbitant contracts when they fail to provide the type of service that is expected.

If the industries won't police themselves, we, as consumers, have an obligation to. Also, contact your local Consumer Protection Agency (listed on County Gov't websites) with your complaints. These "monopolies" are ILLEGAL and the Consumer has to stand up for their rights.

Sue the bastards