Nashville, Tennessee
1.9K views

If you subscribe to Direct TV through Costco, cross your fingers that you get an installer who is trained. Our experience with Direct TV installation is a nightmare.

We subscribed to Direct TV through Costco online. Costco concierge service apparently doesn't assist with Direct TV. When I called them I was referred to Costco Online service which is open during workdays but not weekends and evenings.

1. The installer left the cable from the roof to the midsection of the outside wall unanchored from the roof to the midsection of the wall. The cable had slack so it was bowed out and was visible from the road. It also moved about on a windy day.

2. He ran cable from the cable box on the outside wall through a ventilation duct into the interior of the house and left that cable unanchored so it is hanging loose. A hole from an earlier Direct TV installation is available for running the cable directly through the exterior wall and into the house.

4. The installer used the existing cable TV internet connection for Direct TV instead of using this earlier Direct TV cable route, thus disconnecting our Internet service. I had to ask him to run the Direct TV cable separately from the existing Internet connection.

5. The installers did not assure that the DVR and receiver box were actually functioning with programming, and they weren't. I had to call Direct TV customer service and they identified the programming package we purchased and downloaded it from the satellite as I stood by and let them know when channels were available.

6. The installers left without showing us how to use the DVR and remote.

7. One of the installers did not know how to turn on a touchscreen DVR. He and a second young man with him attempted several times and couldn't locate a power button. The installer who put the dish on the roof showed him how to do it. But they left a piece of translucent plastic (which is to prevent scratches while shipping) on the touchscreen making it less sensitive. I removed it after they left when I saw it up close.

8. They left their plastic bags and small boxes in the house behind the TV and outside on the lawn, and I picked them up and discarded them.

8. They did not leave the owner's manuals for the DVR, a second tuner nor a printed station guide.

9. Direct TV sent me three emails with links to download pdfs of the owner's manuals. But the two we need are 125 pages and I'm not downloading and printing a document that size when I should have it from the company.

10. As they were leaving, I tried a local channel and got no program and ran outside to stop them. They came in, used the remote and saw no stations. One called a supervisor who told them, according to the installer's comment to me, "It happens all the time. It will come on. Go ahead and go to your next install."

10. I have found Direct TV customer service to be very responsive. When I have called they send an email to the installer and I get a call within a few hours.

11. The following day an installer changed the cabling on the roof, re-locating it satisfactorily. However, he did not change the cable from the exterior wall to interior and I called them again about this.

12. When I called back about this, the installer called me back and made the point that this was their third call to our home, and left the implication that the problem is me, not their inadequate installation.

14. In that call, we agreed on a window from 8:00 to 12 noon for them to return. It's now 1:30 and we've neither seen them nor heard from them.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't.

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Tv Guide.

Comments

Went through Costco for directv. 92 days after install - a major part (the swm) went out, and it is not covered.

After 90 days, directv didn't care that we were just 2 over when their installed equipment failed. We had to buy a service contract or would have paid an arm and a leg for a one-time service. Seems like planned failure to me.... Now we have to wait for a technician - scheduled at their whim.

Am missing all the football this weekend. Certainly not what I'd expect from a Costco endorsed service provider.

We are experiencing difficulties with Direct as well. We signed up at Costco and we shocked to get an appointment that Saturday.

Waited home all day and no one showed. Spent 55 min on hold and were finally told that the techs were not available. This is something I don't understand, if the techs were not available why did they make me an appointment and at the very lease they should have called to let me know. After going thru three operators that promised calls back I finally found an agent named Jeff (bless his heart) who called me back.

Made me another appointment for Wednesday. Wednesday came and guess what, the techs were not available. Made another appointment for this Wednesday and guess what. Jeff called (bless his heart again) to confirm the appointment.

When I was on the phone with Jeff my husband was on the phone with the Direct installers office being told that yes once again....the tech is not available. I would never recommend anyone sign up for Direct TV thru Costco. They use a very unprofessional sub contractor that has no common courtesy and NO professionalism.

I have been on hold again now for over 30 minutes just to let Jeff know that I no longer wish to continue with this installation. :cry :(