Sherman, Maine

After going around & around with Allied Interstate about a debt that wasn't even mine..I had stumbled on a thread that said you could get your name off the call list by contacting this number.

Well was I shocked when I gave my name and my husbands name and under his name was a record issued BY THEIR CLIENT, Direct TV. Now mind you it did reflect the account was settled and paid in full...so why did they send it out to collection with this sleazy company that harrasses by incessantly calling and which tries to extort money out of people?

To begin with this company, Direct TV, lures you in with their bait and switch tatics. After installation the installer calls from your phone and then hands the phone over to you asking you to talk to their rep. to confirm the programming. I believe they are over in India, (I could hardly understand her). Then they tell you that the offer is only good for that nano second you are on the phone to up grade. Then in some unintelligible pidgeon English they tell you about the up grades and the program selections in each of the plans categories . I could comprehend some of the programs she had stated in a strong foreign accent and had asked her, wasn't these advertised programs incorporated into the promotional package that I had just signed up with? I was then told no, that the local company had the old brochures and it didn't reflect the programming now. Mind you what I just stipulated was not the clarity of the dialogue I recieved, but for all you English speaking individuals and for the sake of expediency there it is... translated in a comprehensive form.

I did tell my her that I would have to confer with my husband before any action was taken. She was adamant THAT ALL UP GRADE SPECIALS

WOULD BE OFF THE TABLE THEN! After getting off the phone I asked the installer, who prior to me talking to the rep. had me sign the contract, I asked, what the h*** was this all about and why am I getting a different plan. He just shook his head and said the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing in the organization and that he just came back to the job as an installer for Direct TV after a stint on disability.... he wasn't sure.

When my husband arrived home after a hard day at work I explained the bait and switch tatics and gave him the information and phone number for Direct TV's customer service, in which he did call.

After my husband talked around and around in circles with the Direct TV rep. and my husbands threatening cancellation. The direct tv's reps.retorted that the company would bill us for the penalty for breaking the service contract if we cancelled. My husband in defeat signed up for the higher tiered plan with at least some of the programs we thought we would get with the initial promotional package, of coarse at a much higher monthly premium.

What a scam!!! Well mind you about 4 months later my husband gets a notice in Direct TV's monthly billing stipulating we hadn't paid last months supposed delinquent charges. Mind you the bill for

the month in question was never recieved by us and this first notice of delinquency came with the new billing cycle. The new amount and overdue amount WERE COMBINED ON THAT STATEMENT!

My husband called customer service and advised them that we had not recieved the bill. They were rude and acted like we were deadbeats. My husband told them he would send the payment in whole and wanted to cancel. They told us we had to buy out our contract and pay the penalties, in which we did within that billings grace period.

Whilst tearing out their equipment to send back to Direct TV., we found $5,395 worth of damage done to the exterior wall due water damage from the shoddy installation of the dish and wiring. There was no drip loop on the cable line into the house nor sealant or sealing mechanism where the cable entered the house from the outside. We had one of the most wettest summers on record here in Northern Maine. Rain water was dripping in behind the wall all those months causing structural damage.

Unfortunately it would be hard to prove to this inept company of the facts so on top of the bait and switch, the report to the shark loan collection agency before notifying us in writting about an overdue billing cycle ( by credit consumer law they must reasonably notify you before entering a claim with a collection company), the costly upgrading to semi get what we initially were told we would get in our original plan package ( THE FIRST GO AROUND WE SIGNED UP FOR )....and Oh did I mention a smart a** employee who left his van unattended while he ran into the gas station mini market only to return and see the packaged Direct TV. apparatuses in our vehicle... and for him to ask my husband IF HE took the equipment out of his unlocked Van.....My husband just about wanted to kill the guy after all the bad history and costs associated with this scab company. My husband composed himself and stated to the guy through gritted teeth, no I just cancelled service and I am mailing the equipment back..(AT OUR COST). The guy had the nerve to say, can I convince you to keep THE SERVICE!!!!

Now we have to buy all credit reports, refute this companies claims. Prior to this we had credit over 800 points so you can see we are not deadbeats.

All I can say IS WARNING do not patronize this cable company , if you do check your credit reports for they unscrupulously report to agencies and shark collection agencies without contacting the customer first in writting. They cheat, lie and steal from the consumer by their bait and switch tatics. The installers are slip- shod in their installation and to squeeze a dollar to make profits this company hires customer service reps. over seas creating a frustrating merry-go-round for the customer to get inquries answered.

I guess now I will have to spend my valuable time calling writting and contacting the P.U.C., Federal agency for fair credit practices, and who knows what else to get this blackened mark off of our once stellar record. I will never be able to recoup the money costs and energy this company has incurred us.... They are a rotten dishonest company that needs to be held accountable for their dishonorable business practices. I advice all to seek out other cable or dish services before settling for this company!

Review about: Directv Tv Service.

Had an Experience with Directv?

Comments

That’s not the only time they do bait & switch. When I upgraded to my HDDVR, I was told I needed a new dish, but that the upgrade was free. The tech came and installed my dish, but they charged me a 49.99 relocation fee, which they said was to move and set up the other existing DVR that I *physically* carried to my bedroom upstairs and that *I* programmed myself. I was the one who pointed the dish and programmed the new DVR. They did credit it to me.

The charge was incurred because after the tech came out and installed the dish, I realized I didn’t have two lines run to my bedroom for the existing DVR. I made a call to Direct TV to have them do this, and thus, was charged. However, the tech who installed my dish said I need to have a wall fish and that it would be $60. I called Direct TV with that information to set up the service call, and the rep said well, it’s only $49, so be it. That charge was added to my bill, and I paid it before the second service call happened.

When the tech came back out (a different tech, a different company this time), I was then told it was $120 because it was two floors and that I needed to pay him. When I explained that I was quoted $60 and that I had already paid Direct TV, he gave me a supervisor line to call. The *** rep tried to tell me that the $52.36 on my recent bill was not for the extra line run charge, but was for pay per views because I had swapped my receiver (sent it back) and kept the card.

The...

When I asked her how he would have this information, she said there’s a database he can call up to to find out. I asked her if he would have received this information prior to coming to the call, because he was standing right there in front of me using MY landline to speak to her. She told me that no, he could use his cell phone to call another number.

I asked her how that was going to be possible while he was talking to her on my landline and I was right there in front of me.

Basically about 8 hours later of holding, screaming, sighing, and speaking thousands of foreign languages to figure out what the heck happened here, I realized that you don’t call Direct TV to have custom labor, like wiring a second line, done. You have to call their contracted installer, and you are at the mercy and whim of whatever tech comes out and quotes it.

If you don’t like that price, you can refuse service and make another appointment, but be prepared to wait three months and be given several songs and dances about how the hurricane has put everyone’s installation dates off even if you don’t even live anywhere near where the hurricane hit.

I asked if Direct TV thought that this practice was reasonable. If someone calls up a store, is quoted a price, makes the drive out to the store, and talks to a rep while at the store, and is waiting on this piece of equipment in order for something to work, and is the told at the register that it is double the price, I think most people would feel that is predatory business practices, and leave.

When I suggested to Direct TV that I get the quotes in writing first and decide who I want to install my cable, they asked me if I thought it was reasonable to cut them out of the deal, and I retorted, do you think the extra $60 is going into YOUR pocket?

Yes, I think it’s reasonable when I have someone drilling into my siding, stapling into my drywall and doing something not to electrical code that I DO HAVE a choice in whom I pay and WHAT I pay for that service.

I have had Direct TV since 2000, and in the last three years, I have never seen such customer service gaffes from a company. I explicitly went with this company due to the same stick-it-to-ya practices that cable was engaging in….

Now….I’m not sure I’m going to have satellite service again. What *** - if I ran my business as such, I wouldn’t have customers, and I’d be reported to several governmental agencies and sued out the yin yang.

Unfortunately, the only voice with have here is with our dollars and who we decide to give them to.

Try complaining here: if enough of us do it, maybe they’ll listen:

Senior VP Ellen Filipiak