I just got off the phone with Direct TV to see why my bill was being charged for a promotional package that I had called to cancel last month!Upon speaking with a rep last month, I told her that I wanted to cancel the NFL package before I would get charged and have been keeping track of how long that promotion was going for.

She told me not to cancel until March, which would be the end of the promotion. Thinking that they know what they are talking about, I didn't because she told me to take advantage of the FREE package. Looking at my bill this month, low and behold, I was charged for the package! I called to inquire about this and the rep told me that the subscription could not be cancelled once it has started and that I will still be billed for the package even if the NFL season has ended!

I had asked the rep if there was another number I can call when I find the previous rep's name who misinformed me and the time and date that I called because it's supposed to be recorded. He said that there's nothing he can do about it and I cannot be refunded even if it was on their end to misinform me when I was trying to be responsible and wanted to cancel on time. Plus, their moving special really isn't so special. That is how I got screwed up with the promotional package in the first place.

I had to move again within 3 months and called to see if a tech can come and transfer the satellite to my new unit, which was the next building down.They were going to charge me $200 even if I had the satellite and the wires!

Had an Experience with Directv?

Comments

Laura:I strongly suggest you cancel your bank or credit card now if they have one on file before you cancel or Direct will charge you early cancellation fees and also keep calling them about the boxes and get a tracking # from the fedex man or they will try to charge you for the boxes.I have just gotten out of a nightmare with Direct TV service I had for 5 months.

Becky- when they say "free," it really isn't because they automatically subscribe you to the NFL ticket and you will be locked on payments.If you do not let them know at the end of your term that you do not want to renew your NFL ticket for the next season, they will automatically sign you up and you will have to pay for another 5-6 months for it.

So now, every time I call them for an issue, I have to keep asking them if it shows in their system not to subscribe me again for this even if my issue has nothing to do with that.

ALWAYS write down the date/time and name and get their employee number whenever you speak with a rep.I learned the hard way.

I done the same thing.We have new service and have HBO, SHOWTIME etc and NFL for 6 mos.

I keep calling and asking Direct TV when my free things end they told me it was 3-12-10.

I asked if i should go ahead and cancel but she told me no wait until next month.Hope this is true.

Here is the email for the public relations director at Directv, please voice your opinion: jlekstedt@directv.com

Below is an e-mail I sent to Miss Ekstedt voicing my opinion.

I recently read an article entitled: Time Warner, Fox dispute may cost customers more

In the article you were quoted as stating:

"Beginning Feb. 9, DirecTV will increase monthly prices about 4 percent, or $3 to $5, for most customers, according to an e-mail from spokeswoman Jade Ekstedt.

"The new pricing reflects the increasing cost of programming and the significant investments we've made to enhance our customers' viewing experience," Ekstedt wrote."

Let me voice my opinion to you. It is irresponsible as a company that Directv has chosen to raise monthly prices to customers. You go on to defend the increase stating it is "to enhance our customers' viewing experience".

Experiences can be both good and bad.....since dropping Versus from Directv my viewing experience is definately bad. With the service (or lack there of) that Directv is provinding I'm paying more for service that doesn't meet my needs?

I have a suggestion why don't you bring Verus back to the Directv lineup and pass the cost onto the customer (i.e. let the customer decide) - the current method Directv has chosen is alienating many loyal customers.

Below is an e-mail I sent to Miss Ekstedt voicing my opinion.

In the article you were quoted as stating:

Did the same thing to me with NFL Sunday. I will never talk to DirTV rep calling to offer me anything free.

It hasn't been a few hours from my last call.After turning on my TV, the rep has COMPLETELY cancelled all the channels that I am paying my hard-working money for and left me with only 5 basic channels.

I honestly do not want to sit and vent again to them over the phone. The reason why I say "vent" is because they won't resolve your problem, they'll listen and tell you that there's nothing they can do about it!

Oh, and their offices are now closed for general customer service.Where's the service when the customer is practically not being served?

I have cancelled Direct tv almost 3 months ago.Had made several calls asking them to pick up the receivers.They promised to send a "recovery box". To this day, Ihad never heard from them.