My advise to anyone and everyone , do not go with direct tv.I was with dish network, had been for three years and was happy with service.

My main DVR was failing, so I called the number on the back of my remote for service. Apperently the person who answered the phone (his name was Mike), worked for a dealer that sells both Dish and Direct TV. He brow beat me into switching to Direct TV, stating I would be saving over 20.00 per month. So I made the switch.

After having it installed, ( and that is a totally seperate nightmare) I notice I did not have Encore and Starz as I did with my other service. I called direct tv and was advised that I had not signed up for that service and it would be an additional 15.00 per month, so much for my savings. I stated this was not what I was sold and I wanted to go back to Dish. At that time I was told I would be charged for disconnect services of 450.00.

So I sucked it up and went on for a couple of months , but my equipment kept failing. After being told it would cost me 85.00 to have someone come out and look at equipment that wasn't even six months old, I got fed up and went back to Time warner. I am saving alot of money because all of my services were switched, meaning phone, cable and dsl. I cancelled my contract with Direct tv and they took 380.00 out of my checking account.

O.k. I let that go as I understand I would be hit with a early termination fee. But the absolut kicker is that I then go hit for another 388.74 because they are stating I didn't return my equipment. I did return the equipment.

After five phone calls ( and we all know how painful that can be) The first person told me I would be refunded my money in 5 business days. I called back after the 5 business days , and was told there was still a credit on my account and that she would reissue and it would take 3 businss days for the money to be credited back..after the 3 days I called again and was told yes it take three days for their accounting department to get the credit and 6 to 8 weeks for them to actually put the money back in may account. Can you believe that! 6 to 8 weeks, in the meantime I have had two payments bounce, costing me another 50.00.

I would love to talk to anyone that has had this same experience and possibly speak with an attorney about a class action suite to make sure they can not do this to other unsuspecting consumers.

Had an Experience with Directv?

Comments

Stow, Ohio, United States #1197571

I bought a 2 year contract from direct tv and the service I received was not what I was told so I canceled in about 26 hours.When I canceled I was told that I would be charged $480 for early termination.

The contract I signed said I had 3 days to cancel so I filed a complaint in small claims court. Another thing I did right away was cancel the credit card I gave them and had a new one issued. They never did charge me $480. They either lied to begin with or changed their minds about charging it after the law suit.

They charged me a $3.55 per dium fee for 2 days. When I went to court the lawyers that direct tv claimed would be there were absent. However, things did not work in my favor. The *** judge granted me a $3.55 judgement but it did not include the $107 filing fee I paid to make my complaint.

Apparently it is legal for a business to make threats about charging an incorrect fee as long as they do not follow through with it.

Same issue here.They took two payment directly from my bank account witch caused me to overdraft..

no to mention it was more than the bill even was. So after admitting they owe me money its been over a month...

still no refund.I HATE DIRECT TV >:(

Direct TV just debited my bank account for $150.00. Never used or purchased any of their services! Never even called about them or met a sales rep.

esanchez19

I am very unhappy with Direct TV, They promised me one thing and I just found out it was all deception.I can't afford this kind of bad business, I just want out!

Some-one tell me how to get out of this nite mare.Thanks Eric

they tried to take 1,000.00 dollars out of my account on the same day my rent was due and i called them got the same thing u guys got one person to the next then they tell me to call my bank and tell them to cancel the transaction my banks says that they need directv to fax a paper saying that they could cancel it called directv to ask them to fax the paper they told me that they couldnt do it. i am so mad and now they say that i probably wont get my money back. We hav got to stop these people!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed I'm having the same problem.

I'm in Aruba don't even live in the US and these people got my credit card I don't know from where cause I never aplied for any service with them.

They billed my card on December 20,2011 a charge of $125.00 and another charge of $58.47.

I have no service with them and never authorized these charges.

When I call them they tell me to send a fax to billing dispute and after days from sending the fax you call them again they send you from one person to another.

They are THIEVES and they just robbed my money.

I have to close my credit card account now to avoid future charges as I know I will not get my money back. :(

I know this post is several years old, but I am having issues with them as well.They are charging me over 1000 dollars on my card, when I have never had Direct TV, they explained to me that if I made a friend or family member's payment before, this is where they got my information.

They continued by saying that it is in the contract of the person with their service to allow them to charge the card they have on file. They explained to me that there are a couple of ways for me to get my money back, but in the meantime I have deadlines and bills due, not to mention overdraft charges from them doing this.

I am extremely angry, as I have worked hard for some opportunities that they have just ruined.:(

I thought I would add another thing or two about directtv.One, if you actually want HD all the time then direct is where you need to be.

It has the best choice of channels for its packages. Way better than the lame dish..I had dish for a short time and was not happy whatsoever with their programming vs cost! If you like more dishes on your house or in your yard I guess dish would be okay for you! As far as contracts go, if you actually read the ads on tv about getting direct you would find out there are contracts.

It may not be in giant print to make it easy to read but dish and other companies do the same thing. And I have no idea how people are having money taken from their credit cards, or bank accounts by this company. WE have used both to pay our bills and with a credit card we told them do not use it to pay bills, and they didn\'t. And they have never taken from the bank account.

So maybe some of you should possibly check other things before wanting to pull a lawsuit out. What I have read so far will not be something that a lawyer who is good and is working for you to win, not him or herself, will tell you honestly that you have a case in most of the stuff I have read. Just because you are not happy with certain things, or perhaps got more packages than you could afford, couldn\'t pay all of it on time so they cut you off, I don\'t know but usually most complaints have questionable background. I hate that the prices are going up but guess...

Prices go up because the programs that directtv gets for their customers don\'t come free.

The others charge more on new contracts so that is passed on to the customers of direct because of it.Nothing is free!

I am not quite sure why there is so much anger toward the company.My wife and I have had Directtv for over ten years and have never had a problem with them.

Only once did some movies I got from pay per view get double charged for some reason. I don't have a landline phone, but for two months my mom in law was here and she had one and somehow they tried to charge for movies that we had watched some six months before and weren't even playing at the time they charged us. After talking to a supervisor because two workers apparently didn't understand english the double charge was taken off and they gave us three movies for free! They do have some people that I question their abilities but every other time we have not had problems and the service tht we have had when our dvr box went out was immediately taken care of the next day, after going out on a Sunday.

They have never taken out of our accounts. The only problem I have right now is the battle between them and our local fox affiliate.

Last week of NFL regular season and no Fox and American Idol coming up soon and no Fox.Both stations need to get this worked out now because they are screwing with alot of folks in our area because thanks to our ripoff cable company where we live more people get direct than cable.

DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE ANY CHARGE CARD NUMBERS!!!! THEY RAN UP MY ACCOUNT, WERE SUPPOSE TO CREDIT IT ALL BACK...WHEN YOU CALL THEY PUT YOU THROUGH FROM ONE PERSON TO THE NEXT AND STILL NO CREDIT!!!! BEWARE OF THIS LOUSY COMPANY...