When we called Direct TV initially, we were quoted a price of $69.95, and were told that for the first year we would automatically get $20.00 off - making our monthly payment $49.95. Then, we would pay $69.95 for the second year. I asked for the quote in writting, like an e-mail, and I was told that there was no need because I was being charged a flat fee and an automatic discount would apply. - Nonetheless, as new customers we would have 30 days to cancel our service from the time of installation, if we were not happy with the service.

On Februray 19, 2008, Direct TV installed the dish and receivers. On February 21, 2008, we received our first bill for $75.95. When we called in to clarify this mistake (on the 23rd) we were then informed that we had to pay the bill in full, complete a rebate form and that the rebate would be effective in a couple months. After spending one hour on the phone with customer service, we needed to get back to work & figured we'd call back later when we had more time. Meanwhile, Direct TV blocked some of the channels that we were promised as part of our initial package and had been receiving prior to this phone call.

Today, on February 29,2007, my husband and I called again to figure out what the heck was going on. After speaking with several customer service reps, we were finally transfered to a Supervisor Ryan who explained that there was nothing he could do (after all, why would you call customer service and expect that department can resolve any issues) and if we wanted to cancel our account that we would be charged $430.00 as an early cancelation fee because we didn't cancel within the "3 day period" - Keep in mind we've only had Direct TV for 9 days now, and we were originally told that we had 30 days from the date of installation to cancel. And, inorder to have the cancelation fee waived, I needed to submit a written request to a PO Box in Greenwood, CO - Att: Billing Dept - and conveniently enough, that department doesn't have a phone number or live person to speak with.

Now working for an attorney over the past five years, I've learned a thing or two - and what Direct TV was telling me just didn't sound right. So I asked to speak to Ryan's Supervisor - and he gave me some joke of a woman named Pam. (Yes I have both their Employee ID #'s for a formal complaint.) She was probably one of the RUDEST people I have ever spoken with - she obviously doesn't like her job (who can blame her) nor is she in anyway qualified to speak with, address, let alone resolve customer service issues. The long/short of my unpleasant phone conversation with her, is that pursuant to Direct TV policy, new customers have 24 HOURS to cancel their service before being charged $430.00 early cancelation fee - and that it would be automatically charged to the credit card we provided them at set up- which we were told would establish our credit so they could waive any activation fees.

I asked her for a copy of our contract as we had never received "a contract" explaining the three day cancelation condition, nor any authorization from either myself or my husband to apply any charges or fees to the credit card. Of course, my friend Pam didn't have access to any of that - but somehow she was certain that I was out of line for suggesting the facts were anything other than what she was saying. In fact, she directed me to the Direct TV website - which by the way, in NO WAY DEFINES ANY TIME PERIOD FOR CANCELATIONS. After wasting even more of my life on this rediculous call, Pam herself said there was nothing she could do, but direct me to write to the legal department - which is the same address as the billing department - and once again doesn't have a phone number or real person to speak with.

I am absolutely fighting this 110% - and filing as many complaints against Direct TV and "Pam" as possible. I am interested to know how many other customers have fallen victim to the scam known as Direct TV - if we can get enough of us together we could possibly have a class action law suit. The suit wouldn't be for the money, but to have some sort of justice for those of us getting ripped of by Direct TV.

Hi my name is juan & im currently on the phone with direct tv and they're currently trying to make me pay for the early termination fee 430$ ive only had it for 17 days , they never mention a 2 year contract to me and they just hanged up on me

Signed on with Direct TV for a specific monthly rate for 12 months as it clearly states on-line (check for yourself).After three months they raised the rate and said that the monthly rate change had nothing to do with original agreement.

Huh?So this means they can change the price anytime they please in spite of a promised and agreed rate for 12 months?

I have had DirecTV for eight years and have NEVER had a problem with equipment or customer service.Any time I call with a problem, the staff has been very curteous and helpful.

I have a service contract which costs $4.99 a month. The few times that I have had to call for service have all been handled expediently and professionally. I recently called to inquire about how to reduce my monthly bill and was presented with several new options.

I selected one that reduced my monthly bill by $20.00 and got me free HBO for three months.Perhaps some folks should take a long hard look at how they interact with people (i.e., customer service reps) and life may get a little bit better for them.

We just had a very similar experience with Direct TV. Plan on hiring an attorney to sue them, going to cancel our cc so they cant charge it, and going to do all I can to have the guy fired that I spoke with.

We got their service on a Monday, I hated it from the start. By Wednesday the service wasnt working. I called and got some crock story about tree branches blocking the signal or may be snow and that I would be without service til the tree branch was moved or the snow melted. I got upset and told the gal that if I was going to have to deal with *** stuff like that I would cancel my service since I had just gotten it. She said "Yes ma'am" and that was it. So I asked her specifically, how long do I have to change my mind on the service. She told me 14 days. By the next Monday (7 days after install) I was calling to cancel and I was told that I would be charged a $480 fee. Despite what that other girl told me, they wont back down on the fee. I was told by Matt (a supervisor) that I only had 24 hours to cancel the service. I was NEVER told that by anyone prior to, or at the time of, install. I was told by Matt that it isnt their DUTY to tell me, I have to ask what the cancellation policy is. *** it is!

I told them that they breached their contract with me because 1) they told me I would get LOCAL channels....my LOCAL channels were for a town 2 hours/110+ miles south of me, when the town I live in has local channels of their own 2) I never agreed for them to automatically debit my cc, but they set it up that way anyway.

They can eat the cost because I will be getting my lawyer on it (I'm a paralegal) and cancelling my cc! Then there will be a letter sent to their "legal department" along with a Complaint for a lawsuit and a Complaint for Consumer Fraud!!

I made a bundle with qwest to have my phone service, internet and cable.I made the contract with qwest not direct tv or verizon, today i have 30 days with the service i was told i could cancel withing that time frame.

When i talk to a representative they had told me i only had 15 days n because it has been 30 days i now have ot pay an early cancelation fee of $460 for something i aint going to use.Dont believe qwest and its bundle they are all lies!

I called direct tv and for a quote for 34.99 with the HD reciver, because of my credit I had tio party a down payment of $200.00 so I could be abel to have three HD dvr reciver.When they come to install they install a regular digital box with a reualr antenna.

When I call them and told them that the wrong box was being installed though told me that Ididnt order the Hd box with the HD antenna. I asked them tio listen tio the conversation that I had wirh the sales rep and they said that they couldn't. This company is the.worst. Now I recived a letter thanking me for singing up for a protection plan.that I.never ordred.

I dont.undersrand how they do this like that. Why wpuld I need a protextion plan for something that im leasing.

I mean if its phsicall damege I.understand but for tech difficulty.Direct tv sucks

Onset, Massachusetts, United States #229640

Agreed!Directv is awful!

Everything they do is designed to rip you off and hope you don't notice. If you do notice and try to fix it they will threaten you.

You have to call the cancellation department for any service you want because they aren't going to help you unless you are canceling.Then if you want to cancel even after only one day of service you will be robbed of $450+

North Shore, Auckland, New Zealand #193259

You were looking into it and gave your cc info?...what the ***? Don't be so quick to be a sucker and hand out your money before you know why they're asking for it.

My wife and I have had no problems with DTV whatsoever, but we did our research and READ the fine print, asked locals and neighbors that had it. I wouldn't imagine just calling in ordering what i only saw on tv or in an ad without doing my homework and giving out my cc info. That's just plain ***.

For those that did, I feel for you and this is not directed towards you. I've worked as tech support for a cable company and I've heard many complaints from customers in certain areas that just get bad service, so I know what you all feel when it seems there's nothing the company can do for you.

For those unnecessarily criticizing the upset consumers affiliating them with *Hitler* or *Satan* (please learn to spell; by reading your posts I feel like I've lost IQ points) is not cool. Keep your comments to your *** selves.

If you are thinking about getting DTV, please, for your sake and sanity, DON'T DO IT !!My wife and I are being charged a monthly fee, installation fees, 480.00 cancellation fee, etc and WE NEVER GOT THE SERVICE !

We just called for info and (for some reason) my wife was told they needed our CC number to get a 'pending' account.

The customer support (Ha !) department is no help at all, and are very rude.This has been going on for over two months and I am now on hold, waiting for a supervisor, as I type this.

I recently entered into the two year contract with Direct TV.Boy am I sorry!

The whole thing started off a mess. The tech showed up with 1 HD DVR, 1 HD Receiver, and two regular receivers. Now Iwhen I first checked into this, I was told that for $69.99 I could get as many HD DVRs as I had rooms for (4), and would have multiview for free- pause a movie in one room, and view it in another. So the day the tech was there, he had the wrong order.

My wife called and told me, I told the guy the order was wrong. He went ahead and installed the incorrect devices. I had ordered multiview system, but as of yet still do not have it. So I called Direct TV, was passed around to four different reps.

I kept telling them that I had the wrong order. The last rep I talked to, I finally just told her to mark me off, and I woulod get their **** out of my house. Direct tv did not want to loose our service, so she said that we were going to receive the premium package with the additional HD receivers for the total 4 rooms in my house. She told me it would still be the $69.99 a month, plus tax.

I an very dissatisfied with what I have received. We went from the quoted price of $69.99 a month, to $107.66 a month, until October. (I just got this installed July 23.) After October it goes up to $134.00 a month. Who the heck knows what it is going to be after that!!!

I thought Cable stuck it to you!!!! Direct must be a spin off I guess. BEFORE anyone enters in to this two year agreement- seriously check into them first. Call several times, with out committing.

Get the name, date, and time every time you speak with someone.Relly protectt yourself on this!!

Misleading advertising - DirecTV entices new viewers with ads for low prices in big print while hiding a multitude of fees, planned rate changes and other terms in print too small to read.

ETF - DirecTV locks consumers into a two-year contract with a $480 early termination fee without disclosing the terms or even its existence. DirecTV, often without notice or authorization, then charges the consumer's credit card or debit card (tied to a checking account) for the ETF plus hundreds more in equipment fees when the consumer cancels DirecTV.

Rebate confusion - In order to obtain a promotional rate, customers sometimes have to submit a rebate. Customers who submit the rebate form after installation may be charged full price for their service for up to two months. Those who fail to return the rebate within 60 days of an order are charged the full price indefinitely – even if DirecTV failed to adequately inform them of the need to mail the form.

Charging for "free" services, installation and upgrades - The company advertises “free” installation and upgrades such as an HD receiver, DVR receiver or premium channels such as HBO and Starzz. In fact, customers may be required to pay monthly fees for the equipment. The premium channels are offered as a free trial that automatically converts into a paid subscription.

Contract extensions - DirecTV not only requires customers to agree to an extended contract at the beginning of service, but attempts to extend those terms even further. The company extends the length of contracts when customers require equipment repairs, upgrade equipment or move.

Undisclosed financing requirements - DirecTV fails to disclose that the company’s least expensive package of $29.99 per month is only available to customers who meet certain financing conditions and agree to have the costs automatically charged or debited.

Protection plan - Many customers are not aware they have been signed up a $5.99 monthly "protection plan" which DirecTV may charge $10 to cancel.

Non-return of deposit - DirecTV requests a customer's Social Security Number to run a credit check. Those who do not provide their SSN or those who do not pass the credit check may be required to pay a $200-$300 deposit to get service. Those who cancel service prior to the end of their contract lose part of the deposit and may also be charged cancellation fees.

Misleading promises of cash back - DirecTV ads show promises of cash back from $50 to $200 for referrals or moving, but consumers do not get any cash. Instead, they may get a $5 or $10 bill credit over several months.

If you have been scammed by Direct tv please file a complaint with the better business beura [bbb] and with the fcc its one way of getting some satisfaction.

I am really pissed.CAuse I was lied to by the rep.

They said I would have 30 days to cancel.

Can they keep lieing like that to us???:(

File a complaint on the BBB and FCC websites

If you can't understand why people dont like being lied to or why we don't like rude CUSTOMER SERVICE agents, then there is something wrong with you.I am one of the most proactive people I know, and do not appreciate being compared to Hiltar or Satin - it speaks volumes as to what sort of person you are to make such remarks.

Why would you get so upset by my post?This is pissed consumer.

Direct tv is a huge company waiting to go down the drain.They told my grandparents that they had 30 days to cancel with no penalty (which they have copies of this agreement that they DID sign that DID state that they had this 30 days for the no penalty cancellation) and when they installed the boxes in their house, my grandparents asked them to breifly explain some of the functions, seeing as how they had TIME WARNER CABLE before, there were some differences that should be explained and the techs response was nothing more than it wont take you long to figure it out.

I see Direct TV as lazy and as a company who only cares about their profitt, with no regards to helping customers.I would NEVER recommend direct TV to anyone and plan to get this taken care of for my grandparents and one can only hope that after so many complaints and wasted telephone calls that something good may come out of this.

I want to add to this blog about the disgraceful service of Direct TV. In our case, they hired a tech with a criminal record who upon entering our house for installation stole all of my wife's gold jewelry. The police have not been able to "catch" this man, and Direct tv says they are not to blame. This tech passed their security examination. Yea: he went to jail for 5 years for his past crimes.

When and where will corporate America wake up?

I hope John Malone and Michael White, the President and CEO get to read this about the company that makes millions from customers who HAD value in a cmpany that would hire HONEST men.

All we have receeived from DTV in the last few years are PRICE HIKES!No new channels (at least none most people would be interested in), blackouts on sports even though DTV doesn't carry the alternate channels for these games, and NOTHING TO WATCH even though there really are, on the surface, 200 channels.

Of these, however, there are 40+ PPV; 40+ Spanish language (we don't speak Spanish) and about 100 others of little interest to most people.I'm getting a HUGE DVD collection.

You are correct Direct TV has very poor coustomer service.I spoke with a Charles who took my order told him I was referred how dow the other person get credit he told me only one promotion at a time that I would receive a Hundred dollar visa card.

But after I sign up in order to receive the 100.00 you have to do auto pay. I called back becuse it didn't sound right about the referral fee and I spoke with a James he told me I should have had a referral telephone number. I call back because I noticed I only had two Starz channels and four Showtime channels because I didn't have HD TV but I do and I was to have the upgade HD DVR on February 21,2010 I realized I didn't have the upgrade that I requested.

Spoke with Beth, I was told in order to get the HD DVR I would have to pay 50.00 dollars because it has been over fourteen days.With Comcast they maybe expensive but customer service out waive any amount of dollars.