I have been with Directv for 8 months and have had their equipment or hardware fail four times already. Thankfully I am pretty good at arguing my point, and each time have received a "one-time" waiver of the service charge to fix the equipment. So, I'm not yet pissed, but I'm getting there.

Here's what they do. You call because you're equipment stops working, and they pressure you to enter into a monthly "service agreement" for $5.95 a month, OR you'll have to pay $50 for a service call. Since none of the issues were our fault, I managed to avoid the fee. However, the first three times we had a service call, they signed me up for the monthly service agreement WITHOUT my consent. When I called to complain they removed the service plan, and on my next bill I found a $10 cancellation fee! Each time I was able to get it reversed but the fact that I had to spend my time doing this was ridiculous.

And when you think about it, I am renting their equipment. I didn't buy it, therefore the 90 day "warranty" makes no sense, nor does having to pay to fix equipment I'm renting that fails due to no fault of my own. So they want to charge you a rental fee each month for the equipment, but they won't stand by it whatsoever, can give you new or refurbished equipment, and then if something goes wrong they try to make you pay for it.

These are the issues I've had:

One month into service, my HD DVR stopped working and deleted all my saved shows. They replaced it with a refurbished model and fraudulently signed me up with the service plan.

A month or two later, my second receiver stopped working completely. They replaced that one and fraudulently signed me up for the service plan.

A month or two later, neither receiver could find a signal. The technician came out and said they'd been having problems with water getting into the "legs" that hold the dish to the roof. The ice would expand the tubes and move the dish. He replaced the legs and fraudulently signed me up for the service plan.

Now, after a "software update" which occurred in the wee hours of the morning, my 2nd receiver would not access my list of saved programs through the whole-home DVR service. I have a service call set up this week and I am going to be sure not to sign anything without ensuring I'm not getting back on the service plan.

Each and every time it was only because I pushed and complained that I received the free service calls. Someone not so pushy would have likely paid for their rented equipment to be repaired or replaced.

I wonder if this is legal? The cable company would always fix their equipment that I rented for free. Landlords fix the heat or refrigerator if it fails in their apartments. Why is it that dish renters are totally responsible for the equipment? Check out this passage from their service agreement:

DIRECTV PROVIDES THE EQUIPMENT AS IS AND WITH ALL FAULTS. YOU BEAR THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE EQUIPMENT. DIRECTV MAKES NO WARRANTY, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE EQUIPMENT PROVIDED TO YOU. ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE EXPRESSLY EXCLUDED UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY YOUR STATE'S LAW. DIRECTV IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RELATING TO THE EQUIPMENT PROVIDED TO YOU.

Legal?? I'd love for someone to check this out because I'm concerned that consumers are being taken for a ride here, and who knows how many times my equipment is going to fail in the next 16 months that I have left on my contract if it failed four times already?

Review about: Directv Receiver.

Had an Experience with Directv?

Comments

What worries me is, Did they extend your service contract for another 18 months or 2 yrs each time you received a different box?You might want to check on this.