4.4K views

Had DirecTV for 6 years. The reason I cancelled is because of their High Definition scam.

I received these so called 80+ channels. Without notice, they turned a bunch of them (the popular ones) into pay channels. They told me they posted it on their website. I told them I am never on the website, how about an email, or phone call.

They had no answer for that one. So I decided to cancel my service and use my local cable provider. I called to pay my past due and prorate charge, they told me that I could not, and that when you cancel, it would be automatically withdrawn. Well 2 months later, I received a call from collections agency for a "past due balance"?!?

When confronting Directv supervisor, thay said I have to write a letter (no phone #) to dispute my bill. I think they do this to add late charges to your account.

They are one of the largest scam artists when it comes to cancelling services.

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Account.

Comments

Very dishonest company!Will try and extort money at every chance they can!!

My bill keep going up, up, and up so i cancelled them the service is horrible I would not ever give them any good review They are the biggest rip off do not get there service you will never be satisfied if it's a storm for get about watching Directv.

Gosh..after reading some of these comments I'm appalled. I've never had problems with DTV but I don't do auto billing. I suppose since ATT bought

them there must be a pucker factor amoung the troops.

Keyser, West Virginia, United States #965046

Yes they are. They put mine in collection for $542.00.

And it was their fault! When I moved they broke their agreement and didn't come move my service to my new home. So I got Dish that I love!

So this directv Account can stay on their forever for all I care! They are not fair at all!

Kansas City, Missouri, United States #961671

I had a past due of 144.00 and they put 444.00 on my credit report.

I had direct tv and cancelled the service because I was moving. About a month later they call and want the cable box back..

So I asked them where to send it. They told me it can only be shipped in a certain box, so I told them to send me that "special" box and I'd gladly send them the recover back. Then they told me that they had already sent that "special" box to my address that i had moved from and obviously I didn't get it. They said they can only send that box once and that I owed them $441.00.

What a bunch of jackasses!!

It's been 6 yrs and I refuse to pay it. Wonder if there is any way I could dispute that????

Baden, Niederosterreich, Austria #388762

Direct Tv never informed me about there cancellation fee.. I got there service through the phone..

i cancelled it between 3 days because i did not like it.. Guess what they send me a bill to pay $443.10. I told them i won't pay it.. they put it into collection to damage my credit.

After 5 month.. collection call me to settle the pay.. if i pay half they will write everything off for me.. P aid half...

After 3 years i check my credit it the remaining half was still there.. they lied to me.. I called them.. they said they have no account of the collection agency that handle my case..

I WILL NEVER USE THIS COMPANY EVER AGAIN.

DONE FOR GOOD.. AND I WILL MAKE SURE NON OF MY FRIENDS OR FAMILY USE THIS BAD COMPANY.

valxmas3
#281914

A short time after signing up with DirecTv I had to cancel. It was a situation that could not be avoided and I knew I would get hit with the ETF, again, it could not be avoided.

When I canceled, the agent told me after the equipment was returned my card on file would be debited the "final" billed amount. I recieved a bill for double stating I did not return the equpiment, ugh bf didn't do it!! We called, said it's in route back to them- no problem they said, give me a call in a week to see if we processed it. I did, and they did- great!

My final bill was adjusted the equipment charge and I was then told that they would debit the card on file. A few weeks later, I get a bill for the final bill (minus equipment) so I call to see what it's about. I was told that because there was an amount due, it went out automatically. I inquired about them debiting my card, I was told that there has to be a period of 20 days with no activity for them to charge my card, and the credit of the equipment was activity, with the 20 count starting over, my card would be debited on 4-1-11.

I told him that I would pay but I don't want to double pay if they were going to auto charge my card. He said no problem, just wait until 4-1, it's only about a week away. They never did, and now I've been sent to collections. I was denied a supervisor, when I demanded one, I was told that they wouldn't talk to me because I was a collection case.

I paid the bill, was given an address for the Corporate office in CO and told to write a complaint to The Collections Dept.

I asked for the notations from my account which she read back to me, stating that they would debit my card, but since that's not policy, that's why collections occured. She told me: "what do you think happens when you don't pay your bills!"

to valxmas3 #623291

what collection agency was this ???

:?

I recently found out by running my credit report on www.TrueCredit.com that DIRECTV had reported to EQUIFAX that I owed them $633 from 02/2007. Unfortunately, I have never been a DIRECTV subscriber and I never had business with them.

I called DIRECTV’s customer service to describe the situation and after providing them with my name, address, and phone number, they agreed that I did no have an account with them. I asked DIRECTV where they got my name and address to file the report with Equifax and they could not answer. I also asked them how Equifax could add this debt to my credit report when I did not have an account with DIRECTV, they could not answer either. By then I was appalled and wondered how could credit report companies such as Equifax defame people before the world based on incomplete, wrong, false, and bogus information?

Now my problem is that since I did not have and I do not have an account with DIRECTV, how can DIRECTV recall this report from Equifax? I also found out by getting to the Equifax website that Equifax had sold my case to another company called CSC Credit Services. I contacted this company by using its website so that they started an investigation. A week later, I received a letter from them asking me to mail copies of my birth certificate, my drivers’ license, my social security card, and copies of utilities services so that they could fully identify me in order to start an investigation.

I am still deliberating whether to send this information or not because I do not trust any of these companies.

If the people who were DIRECTV subscribers think they had a bad experience and bad deal with DIRECTV, think about me who was never a DIRECTV customer and yet was defrauded and defamed by DIRECTV, Equifax, and CSC Credit Services. To this day, I am still waiting for an email reply or a letter from DIRECTV’s Customer Service department acknowledging they recalled the false report from Equifax and CSC Credit Services.

to Alfredo Gutierrez #623293

ok mm to my knowledge Equifax owns csc credit servs

and on a personal lvl i would not give out that information they should only need the last 4 of your ssn and your full name

I had to cancel DTV due to no line of site at my new home. I was sent a notice that I owed $298.29 for early cancellation and other fees.

(This story goes back further but I want to skip the other years of fighting with them). Basically, in their paperwork, cancellation due to "No line of site" is a reasonable request for cancellation with NO EARLY CANCELLATION FEES. I spoke with DTV supervisors, a DTV supervisor from the president of DTV's office, and collection agency supervisors. All determined I was in the right and did not owe ANYTHING.

It is noted in my account that I do not owe any money. DTV agreed to allow my bank to refund the money they withdrew from my account ($298.29 w/o my knowledge) since they were in the wrong. So, I have everything pointing to DTV admitting they were wrong and I was right. This got taken care of and a year later the collection notices started AGAIN.

HELLOOOO?????

What part of "Tiffany, I show your account balance is ZERO and you do NOT OWE ANYTHING" do they NOT UNDERSTAND?? I will NEVER use DTV again!!!

I called to cancel Direct Tv and was told that they would suspend my acct and that if they did not hear from me in 6 months that the acct would be closed, also at that time i went ahead and paid my acct in full by card over the phone. aprox 1 month before the 6 months was up i recieved an email stating that my Direct Tv was scheduled to resume. so right away I emailed them stating that i did not wish for my acct to resume and that i wanted the acct closed, and as a second thought I went ahead and called Direct Tv, they assured me that my Direct Tv would not resume. I also recieved an email saying that since I had already took care of it by phone no further action was necessary. A week or so later I recieved not one but two bills from them saying that i owed $2.24. So...I emailed them yet again.

Their response;

Another email was sent on 04/16/09 to notify you that your service is due to reactivate after 04/22/09. I have verified that you sent as an email and called us in response to the notification and requested for service to be disconnected then. However, the disconnect date was set to 04/17/09 instead of 04/16/09. As such, I have issued appropriate credit to your account to zero out the balance to ensure that you will no longer receive a statement showing amount due.

Please note though that your information will be maintained in the system and associated with your disconnected account.

(I had requested that my acct be closed and my name removed from their system)

Then another email;

In relation to the email I sent you earlier, I just want to inform you that I have issued credit for the amount you incurred since the service reactivated on 04/16/09 only. Our records show that you had a $0.30 balance when the service was suspended on 10/22/09. This amount was due to the tax associated with phone transaction fee we charged you when you made a payment through a customer service representative on 10/01/08.

Although the account will not be zeroed out because of this balance, you can also rest assured that you will not be required to make a payment for this amount.

Yet another email;

I understand you're concerned in your bill. Upon review, I found that your account had already been disconnected per your request. The necessary credits regarding the reinstatement of service had also been credited already. We have reviewed the information you provided and we have found that your account reflects the correct amount due. DIRECTV is unable to honor your credit request.

Our records show that on 10/01/08, you paid $62.52 through a customer service representative. As such, you were charged a $5 plus $0.30 tax for the phone transaction fee. A $5 discount for three months to offset the $5 phone transaction fee was added to your account on the same day. However, this discount didn't cover the tax applicable. Hence, $0.30 wasn't cancelled out and is still due to DIRECTV.

I actually prepaid for my last 2 or 3 weeks when I called in to cancel my service with them. How is it they can keep tacking on fees and taxes on an acct that was closed??

I would never recomend Direct Tv to anyone, It takes too much effort to deal with them.

Same thing here. Canceled the service and payed the final balance, but they never cashed the check and it went to collections.

Trying to buy a house right now and due to the major drop in credit score this could cost me about $70,000 on my mortgage. I even have copies of the check sent and proof of the date range it was written.

But they don't give you a phone number to dispute the bill, so more than likeley I'll never hear back on my letter. We'll see.

Horseshoe Bay, Texas, United States #14692

same thing happen to me...

read below....

This letter serves the purpose to dispute my billing statement from DirecTV for the above account number. I received a statement that read amount due $362.18. Which I don’t owe a penny.

I called DirecTV customer service at the beginning of March 2008 to disconnect service. The representative told me that I was going to be charged a disconnect fee because I was under a 2 year contract which expired April of 2008. I said send me paper work which states I’m under a 2 year agreement. I waited for this on the mail and never got it. Only thing I received was a bunch of *BS* paperwork about privacy statement, etc, etc.

I called again about a week later to disconnect service; this time the representative said you will be charged $12 for disconnecting service. I said alright just disconnect my service. Representative said it was all done. Now I receive this statement that I owe for $87.18 for services (THAT I NEVER USED). I called DirecTV again, I spoke with a representative, I told him that I never used the service and I was still being charged $87.18 for it. I told him that I had called about two month ago (March 08) to disconnect service. Representative said he did not show any notes on system that shows that I called to request to disconnect. This is *BS*!! He then transferred me to a supervisor, (he did not know what to or how to, explain my bill). I waited over 45 minutes to talk to a supervisor, which he did not resolve nothing.

I asked why I was being billed for this amount when I never used service. Then my key question was:

“Do you bill me for service that I used (post pay) or for service that I’m going to use (prepay)”?

She said you pay part of service you used and other part for service that you’re going to use! I was like *WTF*? I don’t get it; you either pay for service AFTER or BEFORE you use it. The next question I asked was that, Why I was being charged $240.00 for an HD receiver, that I paid $100.00 when I upgraded my

service to HD. Supervisor said, well you paid $100.00 which is at a discounted price, but you didn’t pay for the receiver. *WTF*??? So this HD box costs $240.00 with DirecTV, and you have to extend your contract for 2 more years, and I can get the same box at Wal-Mart for $100.00! WOW, what a rip off DirecTV! So by calling DirecTV I didn’t get resolved anything and the supervisor was so rude, like she was on a hurry to get me off the line or something, and the only thing she knew to say was “you have to request in writing to corporate office a dispute on your billing”! She did not resolve anything. Damb, it’s so hard now these days to get something taken care of over the phone. I have shipped your $240.00 HD receiver box today! Just to let you know, I’m not going to pay a single penny anymore, to a company that does not respect, listens, takes care, and that LIES to their valued customers. I’m taking my money somewhere else, probably to Cox.

I am requesting, no wait, I’m demanding for this account to be closed with a $0.00 and be taken out of collections department (if I’m there)!

Understand that I will be contacting the FCC and BBB about your company and your *** way of doing business with your customers.