DirecTV promised my son that he would have service when he moved.When they could not get service (no line of sight, 2 tries), they first said there would be no early termination fees (I believe to put us off until after they charged his card for the fees), then canceled the service and charged him early termination fees of $212.50.

They now say write to customer service in Colorado and wait three weeks (not that I expect any positive response). I shorten the story as there were many calls made and many different things said (either misinformation or outright lies), but this is the bottom line.

I believe they just want to wear us down and hope we give up.

Had an Experience with Directv?

Comments

To Seymour Buttes

Have you ever worked for Directv? I have..Their training isn't as great as you would think it is. In fact my entire two weeks of training consisted of drawing pretty pictures on posters about HBO, Showtime, and Starz. Then the two weeks of on the phone training was fun with little to no repercussions for messing up. More then half of the technical service, billing, CRG, and customer service agents have no idea what Directv policies are. Most of them just go off of what their "coach" tells them to say. And 90% of the time they have no idea what the policy is either! I worked there for more then a year and saw that happen countless times.

While they do provide good service for the most part, their knowledge of their own policies is a joke. To top it off they have horrible customer service.

You people are pathetic, paranoid and are probably liberal Democrats that think everyone should get everything for nothing as well. For anyone that thinks that all businesses are out to get you I would encourage you to get professional help immediately before you kill again. While occasionally one of you may have been victim of an error or perhaps even an intentional act of deception for the most part most of you are simply clueless or qualify as perpetrators of fraud yourselves.

A company the size of DIRECTV has a legal department the size of a small Midwestern town that advises them on every policy and practice that they employ? Now I'm not saying that there are no instances of an individual that works for DIRECTV misleading a customer, intentionally or unintentionally. But as a corporate entity DIRECTV has everything to lose by setting policy and engaging in practices that are detrimental to its bottom line. The only way to avoid attrition is keep the customers you have happy so they will tell others.

DIRECTV has about 18 million customers and they continue to grow. Apparently most of those 18 million are pretty well satisfied because DIRECTV has been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction for 9 years running. If they were *** off even 1% of their customers there would be about 180,000 people or so that should be posting on this site yet there is only a handful. Now of the 18 million or so people who are DIRECTV customers they are either 18 million of the...

DIRECTV agents are trained for 2 weeks before they take a single call. Then they go through another 2 weeks of On-The-Job training under the watchful eye of trainers. And once they are allowed to take calls without extremely close supervision they are subject to frequent monitoring to ensure that they deliver a quality consumer experience. Every call an agent takes is recorded and archived. They are required to quote accurate pricing based on what they are told by the prospective customer. If the customer attempts or does provide inaccurate information in an attempt to get service or discounts they are not entitled to how does the DIRECTV or one of its agents have responsibility for inaccurate pricing or information that could result. Agents are required to inform all customers that they are leasing, not buying equipment and upon termination of services the equipment must be returned to DIRECTV or the credit or debit card that they provided when they became a DIRECTV customer would be charged for the cost of the equipment. Customers are told to review their 1st bill and the Customer Agreement that is included carefully and to keep both for their records. New customers are told the length of their agreement and if they break that agreement due to early cancellation then they are subject to early cancellation fees. Currently this is $20 per month left in the agreement term. It will be charged to the credit or debit card they provided when they set up service.

You see, when someone calls to sign up for DIRECTV some do not listen closely to what they are being told. It is my assessment that those who claim to have wronged are probably among those who wanted to rush through the sign-up process, argued with the agent about the length of the agreement, felt the cancellation fees were unfair or just ignored any information that the agent provided that didn't line up with their own personal perception of what they did or didn't have to do to hold up their end of the bargain. They think that to provide TV service as content rich as what DIRECTV provides is free, that DIRECTV gets 100% profit from every dollar the take in. Get a clue. Every business that exists today makes an investment and has an expense before any profit is made. DIRECTV is no different. Typically it takes DIRECTV at least 18 months to break even on a new customer. Let me repeat that for the really thick-headed among you. It typically takes 18 months for DIRECTV to break even on the installation and set-up of a new customer. No business exists to just break even and no business continues to exist if they don't make a profit. Since its establishment DIRECTV has continually improved its service, content and technology. No business in the television service provider industry has a record as good as DIRECTV.

Some people complain that satellite TV use to be free. Really? If I recall a satellite system with a dish the size of Rhode Island ran about $8000 or more. That is about 8 – 9years of DIRECTV service with the Premier package that contains over 285 channels of the most popular programming content available. No other TV service provider has anything even close. Of course, one does not have to have a TV service provider. For those of you who think TV should be free as your God given right, you can put up an antenna and get reception of local channels if you can get a strong enough signal. But shut your pie hole and don't complain when there is nothing to watch on TV or there is 30 minutes of program content and 30 minutes of advertising to pay for “free” TV. Or maybe you can watch programming content provided on the Internet that is free. But my friends, that is not free either. You either at least have to have Internet service which is not free, you are a mooch who only gets WI-fi from places like Starbucks or McDonald's (God love ya) or you are stealing service from someone. Who is the unethical one now?

Are you familiar with the Pareto Principle? I doubt it. Simply put 80% of effects are derived by 20% of causes. It is also referred to as the 80-20 Rule. How does it have relevance to this monologue? 80% of the problems/complaints are generated by 20% of the customers a company has. These disgruntled people also increase the expense of doing business and gets who gets to cover the bill? The 80 percent who are relatively satisfied 80%. Do me/us a favor, go kill yourselves now, before you cost me/us another penny. I/we will be eternally grateful.

#120584

I was recently evicted from my apt.(I was renting the upstairs room of a house, and the person who owned the house was evicted).

I had 7 days to get out, and only had one place that I could afford. This location does not allow Directv due to HOA, and LOS issues. I called Directv to cancel my service and surprise surprise ECF! Now is it my fault that I randomly got evicted?

NO! Read Directv agreement...There is nothing in there that states that if you're forced to move at no fault of your own do you have to pay the EFC. I repeadtly brought this up to the rep and they just continued to tell me I signed an agreement for 2 years. Like most Directv customers I wasn't told about this 2 year commitment when I signed up.

Not that I really cared about it because I planned on keeping their service! Now if I knew I was moving, and had time to find a place I probably would have chose something that allowed Directv. But how are you going to tell me I can only move to a location that allows Directv? What if I can't afford that?!

That coupled with Directv's VERY vague customer agreement, had made me angry enough to get legal with them. The "supervisor" told me that nowhere in their agreement does it state that they CANT waive my fee. They have basic outlines stating only deceased customer, and customer deployed in the military are ok to have the ECF waived.

***!:(

South Hackensack Township, New Jersey, United States #19299

In the posting, nothing is stated as to how long service has been held.

The customer DID contact the company explaining he was going to move.

AT THAT POINT, the corporation should LEGALLY come clean and not mislead. BOTH PARTIES know the contract AND if a representative of the company tells a customer something incorrectly, they should be held accountable. LYING is not an excuse for the corporation to cheat customers.

To side with the corporation makes me question ANY poster who does so.

All the company has to do is be truthful. Too bad he did not record the call. That and his phone records would more than likely win him a judgement in court.

The company would get a smackdown for lying to the customer and would rightly deserve it.

And lets be honest here, when you move, is your first consideration whether you have "line of sight" or if you really like where you are moving to.

So, how much money was your checks from Directv?

customer_rep defend
Hughesville, Pennsylvania, United States #19251

Consumer J,

Direct TV has no responsibility in this matter because the young man in question has the ability to cut down the tree or to have moved into a place that didn't have obstructions. You know what contracts are? Next time I suggest read them because they explain every little thing, anyone who gets into a 2 yr contract without reading it needs help.

Lynd, Minnesota, United States #19153

Steven,

Hey ***.This young man is entitled to move within his two year contract.

Just because the major of companies out there choose to extraneously charge their customers "hidden" fees does not make that right!! It is something that needs to be addressed. Clearly Direct TV has a certain amount of copability; if there is signal obstruction it is not the consumers fault. Therefore, Direct TV needs to make good on their promises and refund this young man.

I find it a little disheartening, your lack of concern for this consumer.

Unless you are an employee for Direct TV???Hmm interesting???

Dagupan, Cagayan, Philippines #18727

Thats what every company does, they screw over the customers and charge random disconnect charges.Come on grow up.

Its a two year contract and your son knew he was moving, he also knew how Directv works, so why did he decide to move somewhere that had a bunch of trees.Every corporation has its methods to refund such a large amount just go through the motions/steps and shut up