Los Angeles, California
21.6K views

After closing and canceling our DirecTV service in July, we were sent a box by FedEx Ground which contained a prepaid USPS return label. Our DirecTV equipment was carefully packed and dropped off in July at our local post office and returned using DirecTV's USPS return label.

On August 6, 2011, our account was charged $401.74 by DirecTV. Upon calling DirecTV, they claimed that our equipment was never returned and they refused to refund our account or try to locate the returned equipment. Since the USPS return label was created on DirecTV's account, we are unable to file a claim with USPS. DirecTV refused to file a claim with USPS.

After researching online, we found that this is very common with customers who close their accounts with DirecTV. There are numerous complaints to be found online about this scam by searching for the phrase "DirecTV Equipment Return Scam". Since the burden of proof is upon the customer to prove that the equipment was returned, customers are essentially helpless against these charges.

DirecTV's business practices are unethical and should be considered mail fraud since the United States Postal Service is used to scam customers. We will not stop until this is resolved.

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Receiver.

Comments

Agreed. Undergoing same process Fraud given the pattern, beyond simple incompetence.

PrizeDragonfly271

No solution to the problem.

I returned an HR44 receiver, received acknowledgement of the receiver return and still DTV is trying to charge me for a non returned receiver. I only had one receiver and it was returned. I have an email acknowledgement from DTV that they received the receiver.

Same thing happened to me. I sent my equipment in in two different boxes on two different days and both were lost

I am going through this same thing.

going through same rabbit hole now in Feb. 2019

@Randy

Same here, they just put 491.00 collection on my credit report. We returned the equipment in 2015!

Sounds like a class action is needed. So Pissed!!

@Anonymous

Yes. Class action!

There is a different answer for this process with each customer service rep that you speak to. I was told to remove the cards and place them in an envelope and put everything in a box and take to Fed Ex or UPS.

I called back to double check about the cord and cards after different instructions online . During the second call I was told the cords need to be included and the equipment can be returned to FedEx, UPS to the Post Office ( great news since there isn't a Fed Ex or UPS in town). A few days later when I had everything together, my husband disagreed about the cords, recalling some of the cords belonged to us and were not provided by Direct TV. I called back again and was told the cords do not need to be included but when I mentioned that I was taking it to the post office, I was told that is not an option, FedEx or UPS.

The next day I received an email telling me boxes were being sent to our home for the return of the equipment. Before I had a chance to call about the confusion, three days later I received another email stating the items had not been returned yet and how much our credit would be charged. I called again, was told to ignore the email and take the items to FedEx or UPS.

I did so the next day. Today, (two days later) a box was delivered to our house with instructions to return the equipment....

If they are depreciating the equipment according to IRS schedules, it would be depreciated over 3 years and equipment regarded as worthless.

I had the very same issue - I returned my equipment in the one label they provided - they say I should have returned each peice of equipment with a seperate box and label - which they never provided and instructed me to do. I have tried to deal with this issue for six months and each time I call I get a different answer. How can this be allowed ?

THEY WON'T EVEN TALK TO ME JUST WANT TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO PAY THE BILL...WHICH I DON'T OWE. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO RETURN DIRECT TV EQUIPMENT TO THEM.......WHY DON'T THEY PUT THE INSTRUCTION SON THE BILL///I HATE TALKING TO THEIR VOICE MAIL.

I am fearful of similar events. Three months ago, I was late with my bill payment.

My fault. As soon as I found out, I paid in full, The next day I was told that there was another $200 late payment, I did not believe it but I paid it. About a week later, a debt collector started hounding me morning, noon night (and weekends) saying that I $800. I told them that I was fully payed up according to DTV, This went on for three months.

I sent them proof positive that I was paid up two consecutive months. They reported back that ATT told them that I was still delinquent. I final called consumer fraud to report this and they gave up. last month we inquired into upgrading to the new system.

We were told that since we had been good customers for nearly twenty years (since the time of Hughes), we were entitled to a free upgrade. We took the bait. When the next statement came, the upgrade was nearly $1k. I called to complain and they were very apologetic and said it would take a few days to clear up.

A week later, I checked my bill … no change. I called again and was told that it would take 7 to 10 days to escalate up to the top. Eleven days later I called back and was asked if I was ready to pay yet. I told her that it was supposed to have been escalated and gave her the escalation number.

Another week later I check and of course, no change. I called to cancel my service. Once again told "Three days … Do you still want to quit." After I responded yes she told me to return the equipment according to an email I would receive the next day. Four days later … no email and still no resolution to the $1K.

I may have to hire a lawyer. It will probably cost more but I would rather go broke honestly.

I have been given the same treatment when we cancelled the internet because of how slow the speed was. The service is terrible and you never get anywhere on the phone so we cancalled the tv service after the time was up.

We have heard nothing about the items to be returned, but am sure it will show up on our bill, as they gave us a terrible time before on the internet part of the package. I am waiting for them to tell us just what they want returned, I do not see it anywhere, but do know it is expected. This is the very reason we do not continue with Direct TV.

service and the general misconception we felt we received from them. Went back to Atlantic board band, should never have left.

I'm dealing with trying to return equipment, too. My receiver broke down and I called to request a new one.

They said it would be 3-5 days. Two weeks later I still hadn't received it so in the meantime I bought an antenna, which pulled in most of the stations that I watch so I decided to cancel. After being on the phone with Directv for 2 1/2 hours I was told they had problems with the first order so it was cancelled and they were sending another. This was on a Friday.

They told me they couldn't cancel my order because their computer blocked them and I had to call back on Monday. So, on Sat. another person from Directv called me, I assume to try to talk me into not cancelling but I told her I hadn't changed my mind. She said she would cancel my service.

After being on the phone on hold several times she told me the offices were closed and to call on Monday. Wasted another half hour of my time. So I called on Monday and thought they finally resolved it, after another half hour or so, but no, later that day I received a new receiver that was shipped overnight by FedEx so they must have sent that on Sat. So now I have two.

I tried to take them to a FedEx and ship them back but the prepaid return label wasn't included so couldn't, and of course no address. At this point I don't care if I have to pay to ship them myself. I just want them gone and to be done with this nonsense. Now, I can't get an address to send the damn things.

There isn't one in the e-mail they sent and the thought of being on the phone with them, being on hold, being transferred and disconnected makes me so angry I'm ready to just throw them in the garbage. I will never, ever have satellite tv again.

I will go without first. This has been hell.Type your message here

This has happened to me as well- contacted better business bureau. Would like to get a lawsuit started. They have connected me multiple times about reconnecting or collections/ harassment at this point.

I ALSO TRIED TO RETURN MY DIRECT TV EQUIPMENT AND AM BEING CHARGED $290.27. A COLLECT AGENCY SAYS IF THIS AMOUNT IS NOT PAID TODAY I WILL BE SENT TO COLLECTIONS !

MY SERVICE WAS INSTALLED AND DID NOT GET RECEPTION. 2 TECH'S CAME TO FIX PROBLEM, BUT WAS ABLE TO DO SO. I CANCELLED WITH DIRECT TV WITHIN 23 DAYS AND HAD NO SERVICE EVER. YOU HAVE A WRITE TO CANCELL WITHIN 30 DAYS AND NOT BE HELD TO A CONTRACT.

I HAVE EMAILS TO PROVE WHEN I ORDERED DIRECT TV AND WHEN I CANCELLED. THIS IS ABUSIVE AND A CLASS ACTION SUIT NEEDS TO BE DONE AGAINST DIRECT TV

@MARILYN

I agree! They need to be sued for the *** they put you through when you try to cancel.

I'm so stressed out after dealing with them.

SMH. Type your message here

@MARILYN

I agree

Trying to return and having nothing but issues.. no local store, no customer service, hours on phone trying to get an answer....Direct TV sucks!