10.4K views

After closing and canceling our DirecTV service in July, we were sent a box by FedEx Ground which contained a prepaid USPS return label.Our DirecTV equipment was carefully packed and dropped off in July at our local post office and returned using DirecTV's USPS return label.

On August 6, 2011, our account was charged $401.74 by DirecTV. Upon calling DirecTV, they claimed that our equipment was never returned and they refused to refund our account or try to locate the returned equipment. Since the USPS return label was created on DirecTV's account, we are unable to file a claim with USPS. DirecTV refused to file a claim with USPS.

After researching online, we found that this is very common with customers who close their accounts with DirecTV. There are numerous complaints to be found online about this scam by searching for the phrase "DirecTV Equipment Return Scam". Since the burden of proof is upon the customer to prove that the equipment was returned, customers are essentially helpless against these charges.

DirecTV's business practices are unethical and should be considered mail fraud since the United States Postal Service is used to scam customers.We will not stop until this is resolved.

Review about: Directv Receiver.

Had an Experience with Directv?

Comments

Fontana, California, United States #1317527

I Called Tgen In Feb To Cancel serve,, I told them I Wanted that dish off my house, They gave me a number to someone in Riverside Calif, I Called & They want $100-00 to take it off, So I Had it taken Off Boxed Paid to ship it back & deducted it off what they said i owe.. + What it cost to have it taken off,

Just a warning to you all!I have gone through 6 weeks of phone calls to Direct TV as I returned their box to them when my contract ended.

They sent me an email saying they did not receive it despite tracking showing it was sent via

USPS. They have lied to me several times, hung up on me, charged my credit card for the box and NEVER done what they said they would. And to top it off, they try to sell me their service each time I call! Really?

Do they EVER think I am going to do business with them again? After 9 phone calls to them and never getting any resolution, I called my credit card company and put a dispute on it. They were so wonderful and the next day sent me an email that said "Dispute Settled" and my credit card was refunded. Why would a company put a good customer through so much?

What a rotten way to treat someone!SO, beware!

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa #1278865

I shipped back the empty box and they marked my account that they received the receivers. I bet they don't even check the boxes. When people signup for service they give it new equipment so not sure why they even need the old equipment back anyways,

Going through the same. If my account is not credited I am starting a class action lawsuit.

Boise, Idaho, United States #1252955

In addition to the above complaint, Direct TV has the habit of charging an early cancellation fee even when it does not apply.

Our contract was up three months prior to canceling our account.The claim $330.74 is still due.

Bogus policy Knew when a.t.t.took over trouble was coming

Will I be able to drop it off at a directv location

Should have had them sign for the package prevents future problems

Well, they are still at it.I paid an inflated bill before the due date; and then decided to go with Dish.

I immediately canceled my Direct Service; received the boxes to return the merchandise, and immediately packed the equipment. (All the equipment.) Took it to the post office, shipped it off, and I cannot track the package via the tracking code the USPS provided for me.

"The Package cannot be found".SOS.

I'm having the same problem! ! I'm sick of these people and their lies!

Just send the F'n boxes already!!

I ready to just give up on TV.

This is HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!

I had them do the exact same thing and they even had the nerve to put it on my credit report!!!! There has to be a way to get this resolved!!!!!!! I am upset about this and for all this shouldn't have taken time out to go to UPS to send it to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!