17.1K views

After closing and canceling our DirecTV service in July, we were sent a box by FedEx Ground which contained a prepaid USPS return label. Our DirecTV equipment was carefully packed and dropped off in July at our local post office and returned using DirecTV's USPS return label.

On August 6, 2011, our account was charged $401.74 by DirecTV. Upon calling DirecTV, they claimed that our equipment was never returned and they refused to refund our account or try to locate the returned equipment. Since the USPS return label was created on DirecTV's account, we are unable to file a claim with USPS. DirecTV refused to file a claim with USPS.

After researching online, we found that this is very common with customers who close their accounts with DirecTV. There are numerous complaints to be found online about this scam by searching for the phrase "DirecTV Equipment Return Scam". Since the burden of proof is upon the customer to prove that the equipment was returned, customers are essentially helpless against these charges.

DirecTV's business practices are unethical and should be considered mail fraud since the United States Postal Service is used to scam customers. We will not stop until this is resolved.

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Receiver.

Comments

I have been given the same treatment when we cancelled the internet because of how slow the speed was. The service is terrible and you never get anywhere on the phone so we cancalled the tv service after the time was up.

We have heard nothing about the items to be returned, but am sure it will show up on our bill, as they gave us a terrible time before on the internet part of the package. I am waiting for them to tell us just what they want returned, I do not see it anywhere, but do know it is expected. This is the very reason we do not continue with Direct TV.

service and the general misconception we felt we received from them. Went back to Atlantic board band, should never have left.

I'm dealing with trying to return equipment, too. My receiver broke down and I called to request a new one.

They said it would be 3-5 days. Two weeks later I still hadn't received it so in the meantime I bought an antenna, which pulled in most of the stations that I watch so I decided to cancel. After being on the phone with Directv for 2 1/2 hours I was told they had problems with the first order so it was cancelled and they were sending another. This was on a Friday.

They told me they couldn't cancel my order because their computer blocked them and I had to call back on Monday. So, on Sat. another person from Directv called me, I assume to try to talk me into not cancelling but I told her I hadn't changed my mind. She said she would cancel my service.

After being on the phone on hold several times she told me the offices were closed and to call on Monday. Wasted another half hour of my time. So I called on Monday and thought they finally resolved it, after another half hour or so, but no, later that day I received a new receiver that was shipped overnight by FedEx so they must have sent that on Sat. So now I have two.

I tried to take them to a FedEx and ship them back but the prepaid return label wasn't included so couldn't, and of course no address. At this point I don't care if I have to pay to ship them myself. I just want them gone and to be done with this nonsense. Now, I can't get an address to send the damn things.

There isn't one in the e-mail they sent and the thought of being on the phone with them, being on hold, being transferred and disconnected makes me so angry I'm ready to just throw them in the garbage. I will never, ever have satellite tv again.

I will go without first. This has been hell.Type your message here

This has happened to me as well- contacted better business bureau. Would like to get a lawsuit started. They have connected me multiple times about reconnecting or collections/ harassment at this point.

I ALSO TRIED TO RETURN MY DIRECT TV EQUIPMENT AND AM BEING CHARGED $290.27. A COLLECT AGENCY SAYS IF THIS AMOUNT IS NOT PAID TODAY I WILL BE SENT TO COLLECTIONS !

MY SERVICE WAS INSTALLED AND DID NOT GET RECEPTION. 2 TECH'S CAME TO FIX PROBLEM, BUT WAS ABLE TO DO SO. I CANCELLED WITH DIRECT TV WITHIN 23 DAYS AND HAD NO SERVICE EVER. YOU HAVE A WRITE TO CANCELL WITHIN 30 DAYS AND NOT BE HELD TO A CONTRACT.

I HAVE EMAILS TO PROVE WHEN I ORDERED DIRECT TV AND WHEN I CANCELLED. THIS IS ABUSIVE AND A CLASS ACTION SUIT NEEDS TO BE DONE AGAINST DIRECT TV

to MARILYN #1593590

I agree! They need to be sued for the *** they put you through when you try to cancel.

I'm so stressed out after dealing with them.

SMH. Type your message here

to MARILYN #1595139

I agree

Trying to return and having nothing but issues.. no local store, no customer service, hours on phone trying to get an answer....Direct TV sucks!

Same thing happened with me. They need to be held accountable.

I am having similar issue with equipment returned through a UPS store as I was instructed to do by directv. I actually received a return kit also from directv but i had already returned my equipment to ups store.

Of course after a month they still say they haven't received the equipment and are trying to charge me, when they actually owe me $200+. I may even cancel my att cell service if they dont resolve this issue.

I have the same issue. After 3 hours on the phone, I was finally told that the account was changed to zero balance.

Well guess what - I've now been sent to collections! I refuse to pay for a service I did not have the equipment for in the first place. I did cancel my service at the AT&T store.

Note: We moved to a different state! STAY AWAY FROM DIRECTV!!!

Same thing happened to us!! They are charging us for 2 minis but not the standard?

They were sent back all together.

So they received 1 but not the other 2? Hmm..

I also just got charged today by direct TV for equipment i returned a month ago

Direct tv sent me a bill for unreturned boxes that were returned.

The exact same thing happened to me . When I called them ( twice ) they told me they would investigate it and that it possibly was in their wharehouse and had not been logged in yet .

Both times they were supposed to email me after their investigation and I still haven’t heard from them .

I have outstanding credit and had been a customer since 1995. They have turned my over to a collection agency

I work for the USPS. Any time you drop your return boxes off at the post office make sure the window clerk scans it and gives you the receipt.

This proves you mailed it back to them.

If they say they didn't get it you can fax or mail them a copy of that receipt. When you dropped it off to us you did your part.

#1519158

Since people are getting wise to this scam and saving return receipts, there is a new one. We had Direct TV installed on one TV only even though we were eligible for 4 under the plan.

When we cancelled they charged us for 3 unreturned receivers we never had. All they keep telling us is that it has been "escalated"

to Anonymous #1527118

File a complaint with the BBB. I filed last Friday and it was resolved the following Monday.

The office of the president resolved it. I went through the same exact thing.

Do not go with Directv they rip you off Lias

Same thing to me now they try ripoff people all way say never return this suck

Just got a bill from them for the same thing. Non return of equipment.

I think what saved me though is I took a pic of the return label and I have the tracking to prove it was delivered. Have been on the phone with them for 20 minutes checking with the 'equipment return department' and suddenly they have magically found it and will be issuing a refund.I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it will actually happen!