The Lengthy Summary:
• In February, 2006, DirecTV re-subscribed me to a plan without my knowledge or permission.
• I had only been buying the March Madness package and my receiver was on a garage shelf.
• I called DirecTV and was informed of their new rule.
• I must be subscribed to a plan in order to buy the March Madness package.
• DirecTV took the liberty of subscribing me to a plan. Evidently, no consultation required!
• DirecTV billed this plan directly to my American Express card.
• DirecTV claimed they would credit the $104 back to my American Express card.
• DirecTV failed to credit my American Express card.
• I then successfully disputed the charge with American Express.
• Three months later I get a check from DirecTV for the amount of the charge.
• I tore up the check because, thanks to American Express, I am not owed any money.
• DirecTV then proceeds over the years to turn me into numerous debt collection agencies.
• My 800 credit rating dropped by over 100 points.
• DirecTV loses the battle over this $104 at every collection agency they enlist to badger me. I think there were 4 agencies involved over the years.
• A couple of years ago, I finally get the collection agency of the day and DirectTV on a conference call.
• DirecTV agrees that I do not owe them any money, and instructs the collection agency to cease and desist.
• The collection agency did cease and desist.
• I naively think it's finally the end of the debacle that is 100% the fault of DirecTV, from start to finish.
• Almost 8 years later I try to become a DirecTV customer, and learn that DirecTV still claims I owe them $104.
• After some research, DirecTV now claims that they gave the $104 to the State of California and that I need to retrieve it from California and send to DirecTV to clear the account.
I've been harassed, and now inconvenienced, for nearly 8 years all due to DirecTV's incompetence. I'm looking for someone at DirecTV with with the authority to fix this mess.
DirecTV should be embarrassed by this 8 year debacle. Excluding the conference call about two years ago, I've yet to find anyone at DirecTV, they call themselves Resolution Specialists, who thinks that DirecTV is in the wrong here.
DirecTV Account #: 127XXXX
Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Receiver.
Monetary Loss: $2000.