Belhaven, North Carolina

Update by user Apr 11, 2013

UPDATE:

I was contacted this afternoon by Diane with Directv corporate office apologizing. She canceled my service, She told me that I would see the charges for installation of $21.35 & the $45 charge credited back to my card. That the $18 balance would be waived and the cancellation fee waived as well. That I would basically be back to a $0 balance with Directv, like it hadn't happened at all. So now I will wait for my "recovery kits" to arrive and begin what I am sure will be an arduous process of returning the equipment to Directv. Thank goodness I recorded all of the phone calls I had with them from the start or I would simply be up a creek here.

We will see if any of this actually happens or not of course.

Original review posted by user Apr 11, 2013

On 4/05/13 I called Century Link for internet services as I was unhappy with the spotty service I had been getting. I was up-sold to a bundle package with DirectTV for $84.94 + tax a month including phone service and internet from Century Link & a DirectTv package, the entertainment package, including 140+ channels, 3 months of free HBO, Cinemax, Starz and Showtime, a free upgrade to Genie and HD included all for $84.94 a month and with told with taxes that would run at right around $100 a month for the bundle. I went through the whole sign up and was scheduled for a DirectTv installation for only $21.35 (including taxes) the next day, 04/06 a saturday. Great deal, right? I recorded this 72 minute call. I was then billed the $21.35

On 4/06 the installer, Joe, came out and started setting up. My boyfriend pointed out that the installer did not have the Genie included in our package. He told the installer that he did not want him to continue the installation without the correct equipment. The installer said that he had us set up with a work order for the choice package and that was what the equipment was for. We told him tthat we would not sign for the installation and that we wanted either the correct equipment, the correct package or he should take the equipment and go. He stated that he did not actually work for DirectTv and could not take the equipment. We refused to sign off on the install. He called into DirectTv retention department, explained that we were refusing to sign off on installation, and his work order was incorrect. He told us that it would be $105 for us to get the Genie we originally ordered. We stated no thanks we were told we were getting a free upgrade to the Genie. He told me I would be getting a call from DirectTv and left refusing to take his equipment with him. I called Joe's boss and explained to him that I wanted the equipment out of my house. He stated that he was not allowed to take the equipment out.

Then Danielle from DirectTv called. I explained that we were told the Genie was a free upgrade the package that we ordered was $84.94 a month. I told Danielle exactly what the rep on the original call told me. She stated that she was trying to get us the Genie but that it had already been ordered on Joe's call and that we would be billed $105 for it. I stated no and that if I could not have the package I ordered that i did not want DirectTv service. We spent an hour on the phone (a 51 minute call that i recorded) while Danielle spoke back and forth with her supervisor and then disconnected our call. I called back in and spoke with Sterling, a supervisor explaining that I did not want the service if they could not give me the package that i ordered at the price I was promised. That call lasted 22 minutes before Sterling disconnected the call.

On 04/08 I noticed a charge to my credit card for $45. I called in again and asked about this charge. i was told I would be billed in advance every month. I explained to the rep, another Danielle, on a 54 minute recorded call that the service was not correct, it was not what I ordered, that I wanted the service I ordered or I did not want DirectTv service. Danielle told me that she understood I was to get a free upgrade to Genie, 140+ channels, 3 free months of specified channels and HD included. She told me that she ordered my Genie and there would be a credit on my account for $105 for the genie. That she was sending it out. That she understood I was to get HD included so she was adding a credit of $10 to my account so that I would not be billed for HD and that my bill from DirectTv would be $29.99 a month + taxes after credits. She stated that i had 2 weeks to cancel the service without penalty so it was best to let DirectTv fix the issue as it happened all the time. She also noted that while DirectTv had noted on the 5th that they sent emails to me they had no email address on file for me so they did not send me any emails. She got my email address at that time. I made it clear to danielle again that if the service was not the one I ordered I did not want it. That i would like to cancel and start the process over again. She told me that the account was perfect, that i would be billed the agreed amount only of $29.99 + taxes a month for the DirectTv portion and would receive the free upgrade to genie, 3 free months of service for Hbo, Starz, Cinemax and Showtime, and Hd channels.

On 4/10 I got a phone call from Sharon (20 minute recorded call) telling me that i was going to be billed $105 for the Genie that had been sent out. Also that my bill would be $76 a month +tax with my Choice Package.

I called DirectTv again on 4/10 and spoke with Mike in "customer retention". I explained to Mike that I had been telling DirectTv customer service since the installer arrived, that if I could not have the package I was told I was getting at the price I was told then I did not want service with their company, that I had been trying to cancel for days even before the installer left my home. That at this point I had spend so much time on the phone with customer service that it was insane. That I felt I was getting the runaround. Mike told me that he could get me the Genie with the $105 credit, but that I would be billed $10 a month for HD, an extra $7 for the equipment that the installer had left here in my home after I told him it was wrong and to not leave it here, $26 a month for any of the services to actually use the Genie. Mike told me that it was just too bad, he could give me the free Genie so I had to accept it as he was honoring the contract. I explained to Mike that this was not what i had agreed to, I should not have to pay for equipment left when I told the installer not to put it in, to take it with him, I had not been advised of any additional fees for anything at all. Mike told me that i was under contract and it was too bad. I asked Mike if he could cancel my service. he said yes, but that I would be charged $400 early cancelation fee. I asked Mike if he could wave that fee as it was clear that i had been attempting to cancel this service even before the install was complete. he told me that yes, he could waive that fee but that he was not going to do it. I told him that i wanted to cancel the service and i wanted him to waive the fee. He disconnected the call.

I called again on 04/10 and spoke with Marielle (on a 28 minute recorded call). I was told that my service was canceled and that i would be billed a $400 early cancelation fee. Also the $21.35 that i had been billed for the installation, the $45 that i had been billed for ??? I don't even know and another $18 for something else in the ? category. Marielle read through the notes, said she could see that i had been calling in since 04/06 when the installer was here to cancel and that it was noted the work order was incorrect. She noted that there were also noted from when the installer called in saying we were refusing to sign off on the service and wanted to cancel if the order was not what we were told initially. She noted all of the calls with me passed over to customer retention. When I explained that the order still was not correct, would never be correct, that DirectTv could not actually give me what i was told I was getting initially and why should I be charged a cancelation fee for a service that DirectTv could not get right, and that I felt scammed by directTv she told me that I "should honor my commitments" then she disconnected my call.

I am at my witts end here. The century link portion hasn't even been installed yet. I wonder how that's going to go?

Review about: Directv Installation.

Had an Experience with Directv?

Comments

San Antonio, Texas, United States #710324

Direct tv stole 467 from our usaa account today lets do something about this greed they never had access my bank if that's not theft what is.

Chatham, Mississippi, United States #642427

I called directv to see about getting a cheaaper service

all I ended up with was a bill for a advanced dvr which i have

had years nothing advance about it , Seems if you call or

write they just bill you and bill you .

I am going to cancel , that will be expensive to

even though I have had directv for since 2002.

They are a bunch of crooks.

went anominous to prevent more charges for something I

do noot have. They have gotten to big for their britches.

San Luis Obispo, California, United States #640709

I've been reading a lot of issues where they don't send the boxes in a expeditious fashion or claim they didn't receive the equipment...they still just go right in and charge whatever card you originally used.We are now going to use a prepaid card for our issues with them and are getting new debit cards with a new bank, seriously.

I've had enough of these people and I am SOOOO happy that you recorded the calls.

Even if it could be considered illegal in some places, it's still good ammo.Good luck!

sarahc2013
Belhaven, North Carolina, United States #636402

I was contacted this afternoon by Diane with Directv corporate office apologizing.She canceled my service, She told me that I would see the charges for installation of $21.35 & the $45 charge credited back to my card.

So now I will wait for my "recovery kits" to arrive and begin what I am sure will be an arduous process of returning the equipment to Directv.Thank goodness I recorded all of the phone calls I had with them from the start or I would simply be up a creek here.