3.1
Coverage Area
Style and Design

PUBLICpublished review 12/27/16 If I had rated this ANY time in the last 20 years I would have rated DirecTv and its service 5 stars, UNTIL I decided to take advantage of my free.UPGRADE!

Since the "upgrade" I have had nothing but complaints! I have spent an excess of over 10 hours or more on the phone with "technical" support. I got the upgrade because I now live with my 91 year old mother and thought the genie would be nice so that she could watch shows from either the living room or her bedroom, pausing the shows as she chose. She had Cox cable in both rooms, but i had chosen to keep Direct when I moved in because we had been so happy with the service the last 20 years.

I recieved 2 genie minis, with the understanding shows could be shared or not. Wanting her shows downstairs in the living room and bedroom. After spending OVER 3 hours with a "technician" on the phone up and downstairs from the DVR to the genie minis and back, resetting and even reseting the entire system and losing shows I had been saving for YEARS, I was told the problem would be reported to tech support and they would contact me. I learned MONTHS later that the genie mini got all recorded shows.

NEXT, I was told in order to have her shows and mine separate I needed a second DVR, with I was to be charged $199.(since my FREE upgrade had expired or been used with the genie minis) I asked it be mailed and I would install it, I was told a technician would need to install it, for which I was charged a $20 handling or delivery fee for the DVR. Before delivery I asked if her DVR would be able to record 5 shows at once like mine does, I was told yes. I have since learned THAT is not true, only 2 shows and alot less memory. With each call I was offered the $19.95 service plan to replace tvs etc if damaged,each time I refused, this service was charged to me 3 different time AFTER I refused the service.

After the new DVR was installed and after several more hours with "technicians" on the phone I FINALLY spoke with a tech that actually knew what she was doing. She explained that my DVR is like the mothership and the only way to share my moms plalist only on her two devices was to move the primary DVR downstairs. This did not suit me as I never watch live tv and often record more than two shows at once. Then my Moms DVR developed a mind of its own...I would turn on series recorded for her to watch one episode followed by another.

The DVR would suddenly switch to live TV. I was told by a "technican" that you had to start each episode and could not watch consecutively, which I knew was wrong. I then demanded another DVR, be sent for me to install. I started recording Blue Bloods on my DVR so that I could share the playlist when the new DVR was installed.

When the new DVR was installed, at first I could not activated it online, after reaching a technician and spending over an hour with multiple attempts to activate and get the remote programed the playlist was not showing on the new DVR. After several more resets finally the playlist showed up on the new DVR and I started my Mom watching her Blue Bloods. As SOON as I hung up the phone it switched to live TV and the playlist disappeared from her DVR. I called AGAIN, I got someone who seemed to know what she was doing ,so made the mistake of addressing another question I had.

After several resets from my end and her end the playlist was back and we started Mom back on Blue Bloods, and moved upstairs to the "mothership". I had seen all the commercials about how you could watch what you wanted where you wanted, but when I tried watching my playlist away from home it would not work because I did not have the proper DVR, I was told by the technician I did have the service, after numerous trys putting my ip address in and being put on hold again, I was then told that I DID NOT HAVE THE RIGHT DVR for this feature, BUT I could get the proper DVR for $400.

after spending over 2 hours on the phone I went back downstairs only to discover that the shared playlist had AGAIN dropped from the NEW DVR.I THEN MADE MY 4TH attempt to solve the problem...only to find NOW they want to send a technician out to check the system...the technician I spoke to this time did not understand why I was sent the DVR I just installed as it was "not the newest model" So after 6 months of my FREE UPGRADE, I still cannot do what I expected to do by UPGRADING, I CANNOT ACCESS THE LASTEST WATCH ANYTHING ANY TIME FEATURE, and I am COUNTING the months before after over 20 years I can cancel the new improved AT&T/ DIRECTV!

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss bad quality of directv receiver. Directv needs to read this review and look into the issue (if any) according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned directv receiver in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Directv.

Had an Experience with Directv?

Comments