3.5K views

I have been a Directv customer for nearly 10 years. However, after constant rate hikes and horrible customer service experiences, I decided to make a change.

I cancelled my Directv service in December. I was told by them that I would have to send back my leased receivers and that they would be sending boxes and pre-posted labels for me to do so. I received the boxes on Thursday, a full two months after cancelling my service. I was on vacation until Saturday, but planned to return the equipment today.

I was reconciling my bank account on Saturday and noticed a charge from Directv. They had debited my checking account for $750.00, without my knowledge.

I was concerned. So, I called customer service. They informed me that the charge was for the equipment that I had not returned. Apparently, they used the debit card on file that I used every month to pay my bill, to debit my account. I was told that part of my contract agreement allowed them to do so to cover unreturned equipment.

The boxes came on Thursday, but they debited my account on Friday.

I shipped the receivers first thing this morning. When I returned home I called customer service again to inform them that the equipment was on the way and that I would be expecting a complete refund. I was then informed that as soon as they received the shipment the refund would be processed. It would take about 6-8 weeks for me to get a check from them.

So, Directv has my $750, which I did not know they were taking. It took them one day to get the money, but it will take 6-8 weeks for me to get it back.

Is this legal? Has anybody else dealt with this kind of garbage?

Review about: Directv Tv Service.

Had an Experience with Directv?

Comments

Thats my current dilemma.I just received a new bank account and new debit card.

Someway somehow they still had access and made this charge and saved my new card information.

I'm on the phone with them now and they are no help.I have to wait for it to post to my account for me to dispute it.

Checked bank account this morning.They have debited $580.35.

The language in the contract states that if they have a card on file, they can "satisfy" any amount.

It does not state that they are allowed to debit your account automatically.

In the paragraph before, it states that they obtain a third party collection agency to recoup any outstanding balance.

They debited my account for $580.35, and I never gave them permission to use automatic payment.

musicbee85
Hudson, Texas, United States #1189139

Dang!That's exactly what happened to me.

They used the credit card I used to make auto payments to charge me an early cancellation fee after I was no longer a customer. I also have Wells Fargo and they didn't let me know either. But my husband called WF and filed a claim to get our money back. However, a Directv employee told me that if I get my money back, my account will go straight to collections.

I wasn't even supposed to be charged a cancellation fee because I don't get line of sight to my new address.

In that case, the fees are supposed to be waived.The employee who cancelled my account totally screwed me over cause he didn't do his job!

#1102099

They tried the same thing with me, $900 bucks! Luckily my bank Called me and asked me if I gave them permission and I said no so the bank declined the transaction, saved!

to Anonymous #1122372

What bank do you bank with? Cause I have wellsfargo and they allowed directv to take $904 from my account and didn't notify me of this happening and I think that a bank is suppose to protect your money and not let just anyone take it since I haven't had directv since October 2015

Dorris, California, United States #1065390

They did the same to me I have to call them as they did not send me the boxes yet my tv turned off on Oct.2.

A bunch of crooks.

I have not heard anything good about them.I have also occurred overdraft charges which they will not pay let alone refund my money for 6-8 weeks.

They done me the same way they are f****** crooks they charged me over $600 I had server overdraft charges I am so pissed I think they should get the *** sued out of them whoever owns DIRECTV should go to prison for the rest of their lives and anybody that works for them

Omaha, Nebraska, United States #936535

Make a report to the State Attorney General to have them look into the case , the more people who report them the more evidence they have to take action and also use it to make them hold up to fair terms and agreements that should benefit everyone equally not just them. File a report to your State Attorney General, if you dont know how, the internet is your friend, look it up.

West Memphis, Arkansas, United States #862511

Yes I am dealing with them now! I placed an order on fri they debit my card but after I searched else where for cable service I can them to cancellation on my order I ask for my refund directv said 3-5 bus day I and here it is Thursday still no refunds! But I'm thinking of doing a small claims court on them!

Sugar Land, Texas, United States #860726

SAME HERE $256.Years ago 1995 company I worked for drafted accounts without notice even though they had a clauses that were customer signed okays to draft any amount my company decided was outstanding.

They were closed down by the FBI. Now the FBI backs directv and all other newly uncustomarily gotcha fees because you opt in/out to mediation and paper bills etc. You basically sign your consumer rights away these days. My advice: Go back to paying with checks.The hassle is worth the amazing security you'll have and you get to gouge the service company because it costs MUCH more to process a piece of paper and practically nothing to use paperless billing -of which they will charge you convenience/epay/lazyass fees of thousands percent interest for the privilege of paying online that costs them nothing.

NO MORE SHOULD CONSUMERS EXPECT SERVICE etc COMPANIES TO LIMIT CONTRACTS TO CUSTOMARY CHARGES. YOU SHOULD READ EVERY STINKING LINE OF ALL CONTRACTS NOW BECAUSE WE HAVE REENTERED THE PAST AND NOW FUTURISTICALLY HORRIFYING WORLD OF "LET THE (E-) BUYER BEWARE". The FTC is now a dismally complete failure run practically by corporations. ALL wireless, smartphone, cable, satellite, power, data, utilities, etc companies are moving to lucrative gotcha contracts with power to withdraw any amount they rightly or wrongly want at any time.

GO BACK TO READING EVERYTHING BEFORE you sign (or better refuse to sign) AND PAY WITH CHECKS, CHECKS, CHECKS!!It won't be...