Orlando, Florida

Are Directv's business practices legal? Are you one of those former Directv customers that was violated by Directv's shady business practices? Were you unjustly billed for early termination fees or for equipment that wasn't returned? Or were you one of those customers that was given the run around when dealing with customer service? Or are you one of those customers that was promised the world by their sales staff? Or did they charge your bank account without authorization for charges that were wrong?

Its time we as the consumer stand up and fight for what is right. Its time to organize and spread the word about Directv's unscrupulous business practices.

Follow the link below and leave your comment.

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Account.

Comments

i am a new directv customer. actually dont even have my service installed yet, and already having problems.

i had my installation scheduled, and all was well, until i got a new email with a different scheduled date. ok, just a mix up so i thought. nope. i found out that there were two orders for my address and two accounts created, each with different equipment.

i had to cancel the second order which should not have even been there seeing that i talked with "one" person who somehow created both orders. the rep, who spoke little english, then asked me for my email address and password for my email so she could read the order in my email... SERIOUSLY??? you think i am going to give you my email and password so you can look in my email???

youve got to be kidding me. thats actually what i told her. you know what her response was? "sir, you can change your password when im done, thats all, it will be fine" hahahaha...

what have i done!

im hoping that the huge trees in my yard are right inline with the satellite so they cant hook it up. but what im reading on here tells me they will do it anyways, and *** with my signal, as long as they get their payments right??

You people are pathetic, paranoid and are probably liberal Democrats that think everyone should get everything for nothing as well. For anyone that thinks that all businesses are out to get you I would encourage you to get professional help immediately before you kill again. While occasionally one of you may have been victim of an error or perhaps even an intentional act of deception for the most part most of you are simply clueless or qualify as perpetrators of fraud yourselves.

A company the size of DIRECTV has a legal department the size of a small Midwestern town that advises them on every policy and practice that they employ. Now I'm not saying that there are no instances of an individual that works for DIRECTV misleading a customer, intentionally or unintentionally. But as a corporate entity DIRECTV has everything to lose by setting policy and engaging in practices that are detrimental to its bottom line. The only way to avoid attrition is keep the customers you have happy so they will tell others.

DIRECTV has about 18 million customers and they continue to grow. Apparently most of those 18 million are pretty well satisfied because DIRECTV has been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction for 9 years running. If they were p-i-s-s-i-n-g (Funny isn't it, that a website that is called Pissed Consumer won't let the word *** be used in posts. Pretty hypocritical.) off even 1% of their customers there would be about 180,000 people or so that should be posting on this site yet there is only a handful. Now of the 18 million or so people who are DIRECTV customers they are either 18 million of the stupidest people on the face of the Earth or the less than 1% who claim to have been duped are. Which is it? My money is on the 180,000 or less.

DIRECTV agents are trained for 2 weeks before they take a single call. Then they go through another 2 weeks of On-The-Job training under the watchful eye of trainers. And once they are allowed to take calls without extremely close supervision they are subject to frequent monitoring to ensure that they deliver a quality consumer experience. Every call an agent takes is recorded and archived. They are required to quote accurate pricing based on what they are told by the prospective customer. If the customer attempts or does provide inaccurate information in an attempt to get service or discounts they are not entitled to how does the DIRECTV or one of its agents have responsibility for inaccurate pricing or information that could result. Agents are required to inform all customers that they are leasing, not buying equipment and upon termination of services the equipment must be returned to DIRECTV or the credit or debit card that they provided when they became a DIRECTV customer would be charged for the cost of the equipment. Customers are told to review their 1st bill and the Customer Agreement that is included carefully and to keep both for their records. New customers are told the length of their agreement and if they break that agreement due to early cancellation then they are subject to early cancellation fees. Currently this is $20 per month left in the agreement term. It will be charged to the credit or debit card they provided when they set up service.

You see, when someone calls to sign up for DIRECTV some do not listen closely to what they are being told. It is my assessment that those who claim to have wronged are probably among those who wanted to rush through the sign-up process, argued with the agent about the length of the agreement, felt the cancellation fees were unfair or just ignored any information that the agent provided that didn't line up with their own personal perception of what they did or didn't have to do to hold up their end of the bargain. They think that to provide TV service as content rich as what DIRECTV provides is free, that DIRECTV gets 100% profit from every dollar the take in. Get a clue. Every business that exists today makes an investment and has an expense before any profit is made. DIRECTV is no different. Typically it takes DIRECTV at least 18 months to break even on a new customer. Let me repeat that for the really thick-headed among you. It typically takes 18 months for DIRECTV to break even on the installation and set-up of a new customer. No business exists to just break even and no business continues to exist if they don't make a profit. Since its establishment DIRECTV has continually improved its service, content and technology. No business in the television service provider industry has a record as good as DIRECTV.

Some people complain that satellite TV use to be free. Really? If I recall a satellite system with a dish the size of Rhode Island ran about $8000 or more. That is about 6 years of DIRECTV service with the Premier package that contains over 285 channels of the most popular programming content available. No other TV service provider has anything even close. Of course, one does not have to have a TV service provider. For those of you who think TV should be free as your God given right, you can put up an antenna and get reception of local channels if you can get a strong enough signal. But shut your pie hole and don't complain when there is nothing to watch on TV or there is 30 minutes of program content and 30 minutes of advertising to pay for “free” TV. Or maybe you can watch programming content provided on the Internet that is free. But my friends, that is not free either. You either at least have to have Internet service which is not free, you are a mooch who only gets WI-fi from places like Starbucks or McDonald's (God love ya) or you are stealing service from someone. Who is the unethical one now?

Are you familiar with the Pareto Principle? I doubt it. Simply put 80% of effects are derived by 20% of causes. It is also referred to as the 80-20 Rule. How does it have relevance to this monologue? 80% of the problems/complaints are generated by 20% of the customers a company has. These disgruntled people also increase the expense of doing business and guess who gets to cover the bill? The 80 percent who are relatively satisfied. Do me/us a favor, go kill yourselves now, before you cost me/us another penny. I/we will be eternally grateful.

After MANY agonizing phone calls I finally got a technician to come out and repair a faulty installation. The tech was great and cleaned up the installation rendering a decent signal. My next statement included a $50 service call even though I had purchased the 3-year SLA which covers these things. Regardless of the fact that the original installation was performed badly the three representatives I spoke with today would not consider removing this charge. Their attitude was vague and their monotone dialog predictable. I cancelled my 2-year contract knowing that I'll have to pay a huge cancellation fee but I just can't stand another day with this company.

Long live the Internet ;-)

-Paul

In March 2008, a DirecTV marketer told us that we could save money by purchasing the receivers instead of monthly rental fees for them like Comcast. On that basis we signed up for a two-year contract and paid about $560 for the equipment.

When the first bill arrived, however, we were shocked to be charged $4.95 or each receiver. The company stated in fact that we did not buy the receivers, and that they are still owned by DirecTV. We then asked for a refund of the $560 but so far they have refused. We will end our service with DirecTV at the end of our contract.

This company, without a doubt, is the most unethical of any we have ever found.

So for your own benefit, I urge you not to sign up with DirecTV unless there is absolutely no other way to obtain a TV signal in your area. They are the absolute pits!

If any consumer pulled the same stuff that Directv pulls we would be in jail on bunco charges. I do not recommend anybody subscribing to Directv.

when you try to resolve a problem with them all you get are angry uneducated women, and i spoke to some dumb women in the Executive offices in El Segundo. Never once talked to anybody up there that was rational or made sense. Horrible horrible people. I wonder if these are people that have been fired from Att and were hired at Dirctv.

I filed a complaint with the California State Attorney Generals office and they basically told AG's office to go screw themselves. Looks like California might take action against them. I am entering into one of the many class action suits that Directv has against them. Not just a hundred but thousands of suits.

This is a company that is untrustworthy, not very well run, and the most that we can hope for is a big meteor storm that takes out their satellites and puts them out of business.Go elsewhere for your TV I went back to antenna its enough for me.

I don't need all the *** that comes on the cable channels and that Directv overcharges for. Remember without the consumer they are nothing so if people would go elsewhere they would change their tone.

Direct TV

El Segundo, CA 90245

I urge all DTV customers to bombard Ms. Filipiak's office with their complaints

Comments (29)

1. Written by MISS FERGUSON, on 16-10-2009 19:44

THESE IDOIT CHARGED ME A CANCELLATION FEE & EQUIPMENT THEY DINT EVEN HAVE MY CONCENT 2 RUN MY CREDIT CARD TAKE AN GRAND TOTAL $937 FRM MY ACCOUTN CALLED WAS TLD IF I CONTINUED THERE SERVICE WILL RETRO BACK ME MY MONEY TOTAL AMT OF 847.00 THAT WAS 10/8/2009 SD IT WOULD TAKE 5 TO 7 BUINSESS DAY FOR REFUND THEN SPK TO SEVERAL OTHER REP WHO WERE NOT ONLY RUDE BUT MADE IT AS IF I OWED THE SOMETHING TODAY I HAVE HAD IT I WAS TLD BY A REP IT WOULD BE 30 DAYS UNTIL I GET MY REFUND BACK ON TO MY CREDIT CARD? AS A RESULT IN THIS WHOLE SITUATION MY CELL PHONE IS CUT ON FOR NON-PAYMENT, MY DAUGHTER WONT HAVE A B-DAY PARYTY THIS SATURDAY MY RENT IS LATE W LATE FEES AND I CANT EVEN PAY ANY OTHER BILLS UNTIL MY NEXT PAY ARE YOU SERIOUS!! YES! THEY NEED TO PAY FOR ALL THIS COMPENSATION DOES SOUND GOOD TO ME ALL I WANTED WAS MY MONEY BACK THIS PEOPLE LIE CHEAT AND STEAL AND ITS NOW TIME FOR THEM TO REP WHAT THE SOW! ANYONE OUT THERE WITH ME LET ME KNOW IT'S TIME THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA HOW THEY RUIN PEOPLE LIVES.