I have been with DirecTV since 1996. This is how they reward long-time customers: My Hughes brand receiver is no longer displaying channel guide information for one of my local networks. I can still view programming on this channel, but have no way of knowing what's on ahead of time. After discussing this problem with their tech support person and trying a couple of system reboots, I was told that this receiver box is going bad and it is time to replace it. DirecTV will gladly ship me a new receiver for a minimum of $100 plus shipping fee, or a replacement access card for one of my spare receivers for a mere $20. I do not need either of these options because I have accumulated eight spare receiver boxes from various garage sales and a brother (who will never return to DirecTV because of how he was treated) over the years. I called and asked them to simply "mirror" my active programming access card, activating it for use on one of my spare receivers, and deactivate it on the defective Hughes box I am currently using. I should state at this point that DirecTV has done this for me in the past when I had another receiver box that was malfunctioning. It was not a problem approximately a year ago to do exactly this. They proceeded to lie to me and tell me that they cannot mirror my currently active card to another receiver, and that they have never been able to do this. Again, this is a bold-faced lie.

My options were listed as: 1. Purchase a new receiver box for minimum $100 2. Pay a shake-down fee of $20 to the DirecTV mafia and wait a week for them to ship me a new access card for one of my spare receivers. Oh, by the way, if I had been "wise enough" to subscribe to their maintenance plan for a monthly extortion amount of $5.99 (not kidding on this one), then this would all be gladly covered by their kind-hearted company.

Terrible. Unethical. Immoral. Unacceptable. Greedy.

Word to the wise: Jump this sinking ship before it is too late! No amount of exclusive NFL season pass can be worth this horrific treatment. 12 years of loyalty and I get treated with a cold, calculated, grab for my dollars. Beware!

Review about: Directv Receiver.

Had an Experience with Directv?

Comments

That $100 receiver is a piece of ***; I just GAVE away 2 of them to a sat receiver recycler (both the same F ing model). DTV equipment is JUNK.

You people are pathetic, paranoid and are probably liberal Democrats that think everyone should get everything for nothing as well. For anyone that thinks that all businesses are out to get you I would encourage you to get professional help immediately before you kill again. While occasionally one of you may have been victim of an error or perhaps even an intentional act of deception for the most part most of you are simply clueless or qualify as perpetrators of fraud yourselves.

A company the size of DIRECTV has a legal department the size of a small Midwestern town that advises them on every policy and practice that they employ. Now I'm not saying that there are no instances of an individual that works for DIRECTV misleading a customer, intentionally or unintentionally. But as a corporate entity DIRECTV has everything to lose by setting policy and engaging in practices that are detrimental to its bottom line. The only way to avoid attrition is keep the customers you have happy so they will tell others.

DIRECTV has about 18 million customers and they continue to grow. Apparently most of those 18 million are pretty well satisfied because DIRECTV has been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction for 9 years running. If they were p-i-s-s-i-n-g (Funny isn't it, that a website that is called Pissed Consumer won't let the word *** be used in posts. Pretty hypocritical.) off even 1% of their customers there would be about 180,000 people or so that should be posting on...

DIRECTV agents are trained for 2 weeks before they take a single call. Then they go through another 2 weeks of On-The-Job training under the watchful eye of trainers. And once they are allowed to take calls without extremely close supervision they are subject to frequent monitoring to ensure that they deliver a quality consumer experience. Every call an agent takes is recorded and archived. They are required to quote accurate pricing based on what they are told by the prospective customer. If the customer attempts or does provide inaccurate information in an attempt to get service or discounts they are not entitled to how does the DIRECTV or one of its agents have responsibility for inaccurate pricing or information that could result. Agents are required to inform all customers that they are leasing, not buying equipment and upon termination of services the equipment must be returned to DIRECTV or the credit or debit card that they provided when they became a DIRECTV customer would be charged for the cost of the equipment. Customers are told to review their 1st bill and the Customer Agreement that is included carefully and to keep both for their records. New customers are told the length of their agreement and if they break that agreement due to early cancellation then they are subject to early cancellation fees. Currently this is $20 per month left in the agreement term. It will be charged to the credit or debit card they provided when they set up service.

You see, when someone calls to sign up for DIRECTV some do not listen closely to what they are being told. It is my assessment that those who claim to have wronged are probably among those who wanted to rush through the sign-up process, argued with the agent about the length of the agreement, felt the cancellation fees were unfair or just ignored any information that the agent provided that didn't line up with their own personal perception of what they did or didn't have to do to hold up their end of the bargain. They think that to provide TV service as content rich as what DIRECTV provides is free, that DIRECTV gets 100% profit from every dollar they take in. Get a clue. Every business that exists today makes an investment and has an expense before any profit is made. DIRECTV is no different. Typically it takes DIRECTV at least 18 months to break even on a new customer. Let me repeat that for the really thick-headed among you. It typically takes 18 months for DIRECTV to break even on the installation and set-up of a new customer. No business exists to just break even and no business continues to exist if they don't make a profit. Since its establishment DIRECTV has continually improved its service, content and technology. No business in the television service provider industry has a record as good as DIRECTV.

Some people complain that satellite TV use to be free. Really? If I recall a satellite system with a dish the size of Rhode Island ran about $8000 or more. That is about 6 years of DIRECTV service with the Premier package that contains over 285 channels of the most popular programming content available. No other TV service provider has anything even close. Of course, one does not have to have a TV service provider. For those of you who think TV should be free as your God given right, you can put up an antenna and get reception of local channels if you can get a strong enough signal. But shut your pie hole and don't complain when there is nothing to watch on TV or there is 30 minutes of program content and 30 minutes of advertising to pay for “free” TV. Or maybe you can watch programming content provided on the Internet that is free. But my friends, that is not free either. You either at least have to have Internet service which is not free, you are a mooch who only gets WI-fi from places like Starbucks or McDonald's (God love ya) or you are stealing service from someone. Who is the unethical one now?

Are you familiar with the Pareto Principle? I doubt it. Simply put 80% of effects are derived by 20% of causes. It is also referred to as the 80-20 Rule. How does it have relevance to this monologue? 80% of the problems/complaints are generated by 20% of the customers a company has. These disgruntled people also increase the expense of doing business and guess who gets to cover the bill? The 80 percent who are relatively satisfied. Do me/us a favor, go kill yourselves now, before you cost me/us another penny. I/we will be eternally grateful.

Name calling is never a good option.

A little follow-up to my original post: Makes me wonder about supposed DTV employees like this person, "dumass" and others on this site who make similar DTV employment claims. First, how many of these actually work for the company as claimed. Second, how educated about the operation of these receivers are these so-called "employees"?

Here's what ended up happening with my "defective" Hughes receiver: I also have a second, DirecTV brand receiver, and the guide information for this particular local station was not displaying on it either. A couple days after I emailed this local television station at their website, both receivers magically began receiving current programming information correctly on their respective guide screens. Hmmmm...

Mysteriously, I never received a call from DirecTV explaining how my "defective" Hughes box was magically fixed. What it seems like to me is that DirecTV's tech support could not tell that the problem was actually with the programming being sent from my local television station, because after the station fixed the problem, my Hughes receiver was magically fixed. Looks like a whole lot of egg on their faces to me, if not an all-out money grab.

I stand by my original statement: Jump this sinking ship before it is too late!

ur *** i work for dtv , u need new access cards for garage junk'd recievrs because they are under prev acc owners , 20 $ is worth upgdin hughs to brand new reciever, doesnt cost 100$ unless u upgrade to hd or dvr, Genius. its *** cust's like u who try to act like u diserve credits and discounts cus u bin cust's for a few years, well u dont, dtv will live if u cancel ur acc so feel free