Charlotte, North Carolina
2.0

DirecTV went into my personal checking account and took their early termination fee. Equally disturbing, my bank did not warn me that an unauthorized entity was accessing my bank account to take money out.

I had not set up a prior auto-pay or automatic draft feature with DirecTV. I am sure that in their legal disclaimers, their lawyers say it's ok to do that. Apparently, by paying for their service, I agreed to their unscrupulous practices. In my opinion, that's an invasive and unethical way to do business.

I have never in my life experienced this type of extortion. It's sad that we now live in a world where privacy and security mean nothing. The root of the problem is not so much what they did, but why they did it. It seems everything we do today requires contracts.

Contracts are an evil that hold consumers hostage and enhance corporate earnings. Don't corporations (like DirecTV) realize that peoples lives change? My life, job, and income changed when my job ended. DirecTV does not care about that.

It seems they care more about their investors (not surprising). I think a 1 year contract would be more appropriate than 2 years, or they should reduce the cost of their excessively expensive service and reduce the cost of the early termination penalties.

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Account.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Directv Pros: Signal quality was good.

Directv Cons: Early termination fee.

• Early Termination Fees