2.9
Coverage Area
Style and Design

Called Direct TV with a billing issue and the rep explained the bill to my satisfaction. He then said "While I have you, would you like HBO free?" I asked what the catch was and he said "After the 30 day trial just cancel and pay nothing." I opted in. The new bill came in two weeks later with a charge for HBO partial month of $13.79.

I called customer service and was told "The free month begins next month and this is a partial month fee." I told her if it cost a dime I didn't want it. She continued insisting it must be paid. Finally after 50 minutes on the phone I asked for a supervisor. It took another 10 minutes to get the charge reversed.

I decided a week later to disconnect the service all together. Again I was told there was an early termination fee of $100. I asked for a copy of the contract I signed that stated the policy, its start and end date. This could not be produced. Nothing in the customer service agreement stated anything about early termination fees. I told the rep I'd be happy to pay what I agreed to if she would produce the proof I agreed to it. She couldn't. This will not be the end of this.

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Hbo Tv Channel Free Trial.

Reason of review: unclear practices and disclosure.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Directv Pros: Quality of reception and equipment.

Directv Cons: Customer service and billing practices.

Comments

DigitalLawGroup
#1242075

In those instances, I suggest you escalate to speak with a supervisor. Unless you have agreed - which is normally done by listening to a recorded message that consents to a cancellation fee, they cannot enforce this penalty against you.