Directv - Full Time College Student at Eligible School-Still No Discount

2128 of 7063 Directv reviews

Well, I just got off the phone with DirecTV after spending about 4 hours in total this week trying to secure the NFL Sunday Ticket in any way possible. I'm currently a uVerse subscriber and I thought, with the merger and all, now would be a great time to switch. Nope.

So the first thing I tried to do was get their satellite service. I picked out a package over the phone and scheduled an appointment. This morning they came out and said that, due to an obstruction by my apartment building, I wouldn't be able to get reception. Disappointing, but a reality DirecTV can't control.

But I really want this Sunday Ticket, right? So I start looking at the options to stream it over my Xbox One. I can't afford to buy the package outright (as I'm still tied to my uVerse account for the aforementioned reasons), but I see an option for a Student Discount that offers the streaming service for only 24.99/month! What a great deal! I try to sign up for it online, but when I click on the link, it keeps sending me to the regular package offers. So I call DirecTV for the second time (I am already two hours invested after my original, fruitless call).

One hour and three transfers later, I'm on my fourth customer representative and she finally has some knowledge of what I'm talking about. She gets me to the sight where I need to be, but when I try to verify my enrollment, the online system kicks it back. It says it needs documentation, like a student ID. So, determined as I am, I take a photo of my student ID and upload it to the system. I get an e-mail almost immediately saying the information I entered and the photo I uploaded do not match. Hogwash! They matched verbatim.

To their credit, all of the representatives I spoke to were legitimately trying to help me the best that they could. Unfortunately, they have no access to or even awareness of the functionality of the Sheer ID system they use to verify student enrollment. I get put on hold once again, and she goes to figure out how the *** to secure a new customer. They cannot apply the discount themselves, they cannot verify my enrollment themselves, and they cannot troubleshoot what's wrong with the system or transfer me to anyone who can. After about an hour and a half, she asks me, "do you live on campus?" I informed her that although I'm a full time student, I do not live on campus. "Oh, well you have to live on campus to be eligible for the offer." I was calm with her, because she was very nice, but I challenge you to find anywhere in their marketing of that promotion the stipulation that you have to live on campus. I am a FULL TIME student at an ELIGIBLE FOUR YEAR University, and I am not eligible for their student discount THAT DOESN'T WORK, AND THEY DON'T HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO APPLY ANYWAY.

She asked me if I'd like to continue for the regular package price of 65/month. Absolutely not! I would have continually renewed the service at full price AFTER I got out of school, and I would still love to have the NFL Sunday Ticket, but I am officially done with DirecTV. They wasted, between time stuck on the phone, waiting for the installation guy to show up, and his actual process of determining it would not work, about 5 hours of my precious time, and I received NOTHING but frustration in return. And I was pleasant and friendly throughout the process.

I'm done with DirecTV. If you're also a student trying to utilize this discount, good luck.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
Not as described
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Product or service
Directv Nfl Sunday Ticket Sports Package
Review category
Telecommunications
review #701504 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Directv? Submit review ›
Helpful? 1 Yes 1 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
2128 of 7063 Directv reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 14 #1184905 Huntington, West Virginia, United States

Rather than going through DirecTV - go through XBox next time as it is that correct company offering the deal you're seeking.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.