3.8K views
1.8
Coverage Area
Style and Design

DIRECTV has updated their software and changed their interface; it is HORRIBLE; I HATE IT!! Why in the world would they change from the old look?

The guide and words on info are too small and there is no way to change it!! Since AT&T took over, Directv has gone down the tube; instead of making the company better, it has gotten worst!!! Get it together AT&T/Directv or you all going to lose a LOT of Customers!!!

I have been a Directv customer since 2008 and it is getting worst; they need to put the old format back or make the wording larger so people can see!! This service cost too much money, to not be able to enjoy what you watching!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Tv Guide.

Reason of review: Don't like Directv new interface.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

Directv Cons: New software interface.

Comments

I loathe the DirecTV interface, too. What genius at DirecTV decided that, to scroll up (in number) in the channels, that one should hit the DOWN arrow and it scroll down to go up in channels?

Truly and utterly idiotic decision. Recently switched from Dish for price and the old adage is true, you get what you pay for and I am very unhappy with the switch. With DirecTV I now HATE turning on the television to work through the *** interface and intend to cancel the entire service once the introductory price ends.

Product or Service: DirecTV interface and channel guide Reason for Review: Hate using the interface – illogically laid out, too complicated, slow, drags and overall irritating to use Don't Like: ANYthing about the user interface Preferred Solution: The only acceptable solution: FIX IT IT’s TV idiots – it used to be a simple process to watch TV. Not now.

FluffyBassetHound

I have been a “founding” subscriber of DirecTV since late 1994, in Silicon Valley. We adopted the first integrated DirecTV/TIVO dvr box as soon as it came out.

We have a lifetime subscription to TIVO that DirecTV still honors. The original TIVO user interface was adopted almost exactly by DirectTV when it parted with TIVO and offered its own dvr service. We currently have one Genie and two standard DirectTV boxes. Recently, without warning, I was greeted by a radically changed user interface.

It looked sleek at first, with impressive powerful new menu choices. It took several days for me to realize that the commands for the really basic function one uses to PLAY, RESUME, DELETE, KEEP simply disappeared and their functionality was replaced by convoluted, non-intuitive set of commands. I should say that I worked for IBM for 25 years in product development, know the ins and outs of user interfaces, both as a user and as a developer. I was one of the twelve who started the IBM PC project, and worked for many months side by side with Bill Gates, our Microsoft partner at the time.

Whomever developed (and was paid a lot of money) for this new “improved” interface for DirecTV should be sued. Focus groups will not easily reveal its fundamental shortcomings unless subjects are heavy user of the basic dvr functions and get to play with the new interface for several days or weeks. The canibalization of the basic command structure was replaced. why?

Shame on you, DirecTV. SHAME ON YOU!

Its horrible! I cannot find my newest recordings.

Not user friendly at all. Awful interface.

Agree completely. And we cannot find listings.

They disappear, and eventually reappear. We have no idea why.

The DVR will also record programs that you request it to, but they will often not appear on the available program menu. You have to do a search for the particular show and then find that your DVR has actually recorded it.

Once you start watching an episode, that show may or may not reappear on the available program menu.

Since AT&T bought DirectTV, customer service and quality has gone down. I've been a customer since 1999 and I am cancelling it this week.

Used to love directv, been a customer for over 15 years. I thought I'd never say that I would switch but now, if it were not for NFL Sunday Ticket, I'd be gone. I HATE the new interface, IT SUCKS!!!

I agree! I especially hate how some shows I have recorded or some shows I started watching longer show in the “All Recordings” list.

Hate the new layout. Also, genie won’t let you hide programming from other boxes so the playlist management sucks. Look out dish, here I come!!!

@Anonymous

Truly and utterly idiotic decision.

It’s awful. And getting worse.

Every task is infinitely more difficult. Who was the test group. A bunch of people who want to press ten buttons to accomplish one task.

I need to change providers. Very disappointed

I hate the new whatever you call t. Can not find r3 order shows. Bad bad bad bad

I have been with Directv almost since its inception! If there was a way to start a class action suit against how they treat their customers I would join in!

They charge the customers way too much to treat the customers this way. The new interface is terrible! I will be looking at what I have recorded to DVR to make a selection, and 10 minutes later what was there won't be there any longer! The only way to get the programs to return is to reset the DVR, and we all know how long that takes!

And it seems I am having to do that almost every evening. If I delete something, the next time I use it they will be back! I see others are saying the text is too small, however I don't have that complaint because of a 60 inch screen but I certainly understand it. I am so close to cancelling my service because of all this!

All of these things started when AT&T took over Directv and it's gone downhill fast ever since. Because of this they should NOT be allowed to take over Time Warner!! Calling 1-800-Directv gets you nowhere. I was on the phone for over an hour before the agent said I'm not the only one complaining and there is NO fix in the near future!

They are essentially holding us hostage! I'm about done with AT&T / Directv

@Tom Allen

Let’s get a buzz going for class action. Like you I’m around here for 20 years gets worse everyday

FluffyBassetHound
@Tom Allen

I agree totally. I have been a “founding” subscriber of DirecTV since late 1994, in Silicon Valley.

We adopted the first integrated DirecTV/TIVO dvr box as soon as it came out. We have a lifetime subscription to TIVO that DirecTV still honors. The original TIVO user interface was adopted almost exactly by DirectTV when it parted with TIVO and offered its own dvr service. We currently have one Genie and two standard DirectTV boxes.

Recently, without warning, I was greeted by a radically changed user interface. It looked sleek at first, with impressive powerful new menu choices. It took several days for me to realize that the commands for the really basic function one uses to PLAY, RESUME, DELETE, KEEP simply disappeared and their functionality was replaced by convoluted, non-intuitive set of commands. I should say that I worked for IBM for 25 years in product development, know the ins and outs of user interfaces, both as a user and as a developer.

I was one of the twelve who started the IBM PC project, and worked for many months side by side with Bill Gates, our Microsoft partner at the time. Whomever developed (and was paid a lot of money) for this new “improved” interface for DirecTV should be sued. Focus groups will not easily reveal its fundamental shortcomings unless subjects are heavy user of the basic dvr functions and get to play with the new interface for several days or weeks. The canibalization of the basic command structure was replaced.

why? Why, I ask again and again. I was told by a DirecTV rep via phone that the problems with this new interface would be corrected in a new version expected to come out early next year. When I spoke with my local DirecTV tech, he told me that their techs were not even notified about this new interface that suddenly made a surprise appearance, uninvited and pushed down the throats of millions of DIRECTV homes.

Shame on you, DirecTV. SHAME ON YOU!

I agree with this consumer. Is Direct TV trying to lose customers? Please return to old interface!!!

After be a DTV customer for 15 years, I witched to Dish last week. Love it

I agree! I can not stand that I have to srlect down to get a clunky menu tonthen het tonthe guide. Too confusing!

I also hate the new interface. Managing the DVR recordings has become a nightmare.

Why are the recordings not all one one list anymore? I have to hunt for my stuff and half the time I can’t find it. Oh, and some stuff is being randomly deleted. Had 11 seasons of MASH recorded.

We now have parts of the first 5 seasons. And no one manually deleted anything. The DVR wasn’t full either.

This is a pain in the *** What moron thought this was a good idea? When our contract is up we’re dropping this *** service like a hot potato.

@Davis

Agree. Hate it

@Davis

I agree with all that you are saying and have had similar complaints. You may want to try resetting the DVR and see if that helps.

It did help me, but I know it's a pain. Just open the little door and press the small red button. If you cannot find the button, disconnect the DVR power cord wait a few seconds and plug it back in.

It will think there was a power failure and reset itself! Hope this helps!