Cary, North Carolina
Resolved
2.9
Coverage Area

I got NFL Sunday ticket free when I signed up for Direct TV and then was auto charged for it after one year. Once I realized it, I had paid three months and was told I couldn't cancel because "the football season had already started".

I did not want this service in the first place, NOR did I request renewal...they just did it and added to my bill. There was probably some fine print in the contract that stated this, but of course, I didn't know it. I find this to be a very sneaky practice and will be canceling my Direct TV service within the next month. They will not credit my account, AND I have to now pay $41.99 additional per month for the NFL ticket.

I HATE football, and I am on a limited budget.

I would rather pay the $20 per month cancellation fee and end this contract than deal with a company that is sneaky AND will not refund me and is FORCING me to keep this service which I never requested in the first place. VERY DISAPPOINTED...Going back to Time Warner.

Reason of review: renewal of a free service I didn't request or order.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Directv Pros: Installers were nice.

Comments

I when I signed up for direct tv they added ‘free’ NFL package. I told them not to bother.

The tech told me it put in your package when you sign up and you can watch it free the first year, but if you don’t want it the next season you have to call and “cancel” it, in other words, cancel something you didn’t order. Ok, fine. Before the season was over, I called and told the rep I did not want the channel and do not renew it. The rep said fine and said he removed the channel.

This August, guess what is in my bill, NFL channel for the 2018-2019 season. I call and spoke to ‘Michelle’ who said they’ve had “computer glitches”. She put me on hold and “spoke to her supervisor”. She came back and said the channel was removed and I would receive a new bill (w/o the NFL package) “within a few days”.

Never got a new bill, so I sent a payment, minus the NFL charge. My next bill is due shortly. Bottom line, reps on the phone did not do what they said they would do (twice).

We’ll see what happens next, they never contacted me about my last payment (minus NFL charge). Soooo glad they don’t have my credit card number to just tack on the charge without my consent.

Sun ticket , don't want it did not order it , will not watch it

you should always practice being a good consumer, and at least glance over the contract, seeing as how everything in it, is pertinent

Also, they told you when you got the free NFL sunday ticket promotion, that it auto-renews, they have to, or lose their job

Finally, you really can't discontinue the ticket after the season started, they give you a grace period of a month after it starts, and they also notify you on your bill as early as June, that it's going to start charging you for it, but that all comes back to being a good consumer

Well at least you realize that it was in the agreement signed and maybe you should read your billing statement more often than every 3 months

@Anonymous

thanks for your lovely insight ANON.. lol