Atlanta, Georgia

I have seen the Direct TV ad saying "Sunday Ticket, the get all NFL games program is now "free" with their service. I called in to make sure I would have it for free, got a CS clerk who did not speak English well enough to communicate with me and was finally transferred to the Sunday Ticket Department where they offfered me a small discount towards the Sunday Ticket program.

I asked, "But your ads say it is free!!!" It is only free, it turns out to "NEW" customers, doesn't say that in their deceptive ad, doesn't say it in their written ads either. I spent a half an hour getting frustrated. I am angry! Don't they want to keep my business? Isn't keeping an old customer as good as getting a new one given all the installation, etc they need to do for a new customer?

I have been a good customer of Direct TV for 15 or 16 months on a 2 year contract. The service is OK, maybe not as good as cable as every time iot rains I lose service for a half hour or so. You can bet that as soon as my 2 year contract is up I will switch to my cable company. Their ads want them to look affordable and a good company to do business with yet this Sunday Ticket business is deceptive and unfair.

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Tv Service.

Comments

Direct called us with a "super" deal, $5 a month for Sunday Ticket and HBO for 3 months. Sounded too good to be true so I had them repeat it several times and I even confirmed with a supervisor.

I SAID "ok". wHEN I GOT MY BILL, THEY CHARGED ME ALMOST $50 EXTRA BECAUSE THE DEAL BEGAN MID-MONTH, SOMETHING THEY NEVER MENTIONED!!!!!

I have called their CS several times and they promise a credit but what a scam! How is it my fault they called me and began the deal mid-month?! You all know how hard it is to contact CS, get hung up on, etc.

What an awful company. I can go back to cable in about 4 months when my contract s up, Thank God!

I just became a new customer and wanted to let people know before they get suckered, if you wish to rent a new release movie on directv cinema they charge $4.99 per movie, WHAT A JOKE, RED BOX IS $1.00 , THE LOCAL STORE IS 2-$3.50 WHICH IS $1.75 EA, AND NETFLIX IS $8.00 FOR AS MANY MOVIES AS YOU WANT PER MONTH, So why the *** is directv 5 times as much as their compation. They have the worst customer service of any company I've dep't with.

At the end of my 2 year contract, ill never use this company again, and will let everyone I know NOT to use their service. Any other company hast to be better!

DTV2011

As I work with DTV, I know what these customers are complaining about. I am not a CSR thank go but work in another dept.

Directv may not specify what the promotions are for BUT customer have the responsibility to ask what you may have to do to qualify for that promotion.

CSR guy, please know that the dept i work in deals with angry customers complaining about you guys. a more REALISTIC caring attitude and tone of voice would help these customers feel like you guys actually care.

They gave me Sunday Ticket at a discounted price so I am now happy with them. They stikk need to make their Customer Service easier to reach,

they also lie about free premiums for 5 months its actually 4 months becasue the ffth month they charge you 109.99 for premier but they dont tell you that when you accept the deal

I did not "whine". They tricked me into calling and then used bait and switch tactics to sell me another service.

Making it worse it took them a half hour of transferring me around to get to the bait a switch expert. Last week a game on NFL Network was blacked out, a game that I was supposed to get, an "away" game. It was blacked out by mistake. I called, took 30 minutes to get through and then CS accidentally hung up on me after I was on hold another 30 minutes.

I wrote to them on their website, no response. The service is bad and the customer service is awful.

New Guy, you have it correct sir. We always have tons of offers for our existing customers.

However, when customers call whining like babies saying things like "Why can't I have free stuff?? New customers get everything!!!" Do you remember when you signed up for the service? Do you? What did you get free?

Hmm?? Upgraded equipment, free movie channels, free HD, lower priced programming packages...whatever the promotion was to lure YOU to be a new customer. Now, all of a sudden, someone gets what you want included in their new customer offer and you cry about it. Ask us to check, don't call all surly and mean.

That will get you nowhere. You ever wonder why some of us are just going through the motions?

Because some of you are just flat out rude! Using profanity, insulting me, my supervisors and being just mean.

lisa92

directv does nothing for old customers except UP their bill to ridiculous amounts...so if uve been with them for years you're probly paying well over 100.00 but if youre a new customer it'll be 40.00... which is messed up.

Also directv puts you back into a contract if you upgrade or change your plan which shouldn't be allowed...their billing also fluctuates...and many people aer ridiculously paying 200.00 a month for nothing...but those ppl don't seem to care either.. i guess they're letting directv *** them...

And to continue, if you have a 2 yr contract and are existing they still will not give you the NFL ticket for free unless you say the magic phase, \"I want to cancel\". To them that means open seasame.

You now get to have it.

They are retartded. Glad I qut.

No, to DirecTV new customers are worth more than an existing customer. Most existing customers do not have a 2 yr agreement and giving the ticket for free will get a new person through the door.

You are already through the door--with no contract most likely.

New customers are more profitable than existing. And they know that if you like football that much you are eventually going to stop complaining and just buy if for 300.00.

I use to work for that *** hole

Sandy, I think it s a "bait and switch" deal. When I called in they had a "Congratulations, you get a discount!" speech all ready.

^This, except sense then they have added a bit about the advertisement being in the paper and the fine print explaining the offer is for new customers only

Congress is considering making a law forcing direct tv to offer per game purchases. Right now putting NFL ticket in an expensive package requiring a 2 year sign-up surrounded by poor disclosures of early termination fees may get some traction with various state AG offices and get direct tv fined a repeat of what happened in California.

While not technically an illegal tie in sale it feels like one.

The NFL in not blameless here but knows it has a popular product so they can get away with it for now. A downturn in the economy will will fix this but it's going to take awhile.

Good luck

Direct tv has been sued and has lost in several states for deceptive advertising. The add was improper and violates truth in advertising laws.

Was a customers for 15years and dropped these crooks several years back.

They don't want you to call. The more you call the more money it costs them.

No way they'll get enough existing customers to buy NFL after seeing a commercial advertising it for free for new customers.

I've been a customer of Directv for almost 10 years, and have lost signal one time, which lasted about 90 seconds and that was during a huge storm.

Maybe you should look at getting your dish aligned. Its always the dummy consumers who start complaining about other things, which they probably never even brought up before, when they don't get their way.

Mark you don't deserve to be a consumer, let alone one of Directv

Realist, (Should call yourself "RETARD"!) Again, it is bait and switch as it is partly a trick to get people to call so they can sell them something. If not, why not say anywhere in the ad that the offer is for "new customers" only?

Because it is a trick, that is why they do it.

Besides being unfair, why do they want to *** off existing customers? I spent a half an hour being transferred around before they told me that the deal was not for me. Cable has issues too but where I live it rains in the afternoon quite frequently and most of the time, when it starts raining, the DTV service goes away. I was putting up with it but no more.

Only people who will put up with that kind kind of thing are retards and *** like you or if you are an employee of DTV and I expect you are, than you are not a retard, just a sneaky lier.

I know you are *** so again; It is bait and switch because the ads are partly a device to get people to call in so they can offer a discount for the Sunday Ticket. Too tough a concept for you, huh!!?

Because it is a trick, that is why they do it.

Why would you assume that it would be free to you if you already had them? Aren't commercials to lure new customers not advertise to existing customers?

I mean do you really think Directv is going to spend millions of dollars to make several ads offering their NFL package, which I read somewhere costs them over 1 Billion dollars, to their existing customers? That would be ridiculous of them. I have Directv and they send out those tv mail messages on the banner at the top of the screen to advertise stuff for existing customers.

They also print offers on the side of the bill or send inserts. Sounds like you heard free NFL and didn't think about it first.

Mark, you dumb ***, no I don't work for Directv. It is not bait and switch.

It may not completely inform you of eligibility for the offer though. The difference is, you didn't agree to anything as a result of the ad. You didn't get anything and neither did Directv.

You are just mad that you can't get that offer. That's no reason to start making up accusations that are harmful to a company.

Are you a Direct TV employee? A Shill?

You are the one who is wrong. It IS a Bait & Switch as the ads do not say "new customers" either in writing or the broadcast ads. As soon as I called in the Customer Service clerk started pitchng me on why I should buy Sunday Ticket The purpose of the ads, one of them anyway, was to trick people into becomng interested in Sundy Ticket and then SELL them the service thet wee tricked into calling aboout. Oh well.

Soon I can quit that fake outfit and go back to less expensive cable that works even when it rains!!!

Do they pay you what they promise at Direct TV? I bet they don't and do they pay you when it rains?

Mark and Mark,

Bait and switch means they offered you something, you agreed to that, and then once you were "hooked" they changed the offer or "bait.". You were never offered their NFL package and you didn't agree to anything because of the offer to new customers.

Also it's a new customer offer, most of their customers (with exception to the ones before 2007) got a new customer offer when they originally signed up. Why should you get another one now? Companies that have these types of offers don't make money on them for a year or two, if they continued to offer them to existing customers they wouldn't make any money. If they didn't have an offer for new customers then they wouldn't get any new customers and go out of business, because at some point every existing account will close either from changing service, moving outside of their coverage area, or the customer dying.

Sandy- NFL is free to those who participate in their movers connection program.

Since you moved to a pre wired building you have to order service through that building under a new account meaning you can't use your current account to do the movers connection. Directv can't control your decisions or the fact that your new building chose to use a middle man instead of set up directly through Directv.