San Diego, California

I had been a Direct TV customer for a year and a half and never had any issues and always paid my bill in full and on time. I recently moved and scheduled an appointment for an installation at my new address on July 21st 2011. Prior to the installation date I informed Direct TV that the technician would need to contact my Landlord so he was informed of the installation requirements, they stated that was ok and would note the account. The Landlord wanted to make sure the technician was fully aware of the maximum height and satellite placement that would be allowed for the installation.

The Technician arrived around 8:00 am on July 21st 2011. When I asked if he spoke to my Landlord as noted on my account he stated he didn't know anything about it. I then proceeded to inform him that the Landlord was ok with the installation of the Direct TV service but there were requirements needed for it to be approved by management. Requirements dealt with no drilling on the property and the placement of the satellite on the balcony. The technician stated he did not need to attempt to install the satellite dish, based on what I told him he knew the installation could not be successfully completed. The technician never evaluated my balcony or spoke to my Landlord; he stated that it was not necessary. He then stated that he would call his manager and inform him that my cancellation fee was to be waived due to the inability to install my service.

The following day I decided to contact Direct TV to make sure every thing was communicated correctly. The customer service rep stated that they would not waive the cancellation fee based on the notes posted by the technician. The technician apparently wrote that "the customer's landlord would not permit the installation of service". I found this appalling, that the technician would tell a completely different story in his notes. The only conclusion that I can come to is that he did not want to perform an installation that could possibly be unsuccessful. Due to restrictions on the placement of the satellite or the satellite not receiving a strong enough signal. The call was ended with the conclusion that my cancellation fee would not be waived.

I decided to attempt to resolve my issue with a different customer service representative. I called later that day and informed the representative about my installation appointment, and the technician. She stated that due to the fact that the technician was allowed to proceed with the installation but decided not to due so, I would not be charged a cancellation fee. She further stated that I was not at fault for the unsuccessful installation, that it was the technician's decision not to install my service that was the problem. The representative also stated she would add notes to the account supporting this statement. The representative also stated that my balance due should be waived by the time I received my final statement.

On July 30th, I decided to call Direct TV after receiving my final statement. I also checked online and noticed I still had a balance due of $143.20. I spoke to a customer serviced representative who stated I didn't have any notes on my account supporting any waived cancellation fee. I'm not sure if this is a tactic used to continue to charge the customer. After an unsuccessful 20minutes I was asked to be transferred to someone else that could better assist me. I was transferred to the retention department where another representative was of some assistance. He was able to find the notes supporting the waived cancellation fee. He added that some representatives are too lazy to look for them but all have access to view notes of different departments. He did offer to send out another technician due to the bad technician that was sent out and decided not to do the work. I informed him that this was a week and a half ago and I have since then had cable service installed. The representative seemed to be in agreement with me, that my cancellation fee should be waived. The problem is that the technician stated in his notes that my landlord would not permit the installation period. This technicality is what posses a problem for them to waive my cancellation fee. It's the technician's false report on what occurred that is keeping the cancellation fee in place. The representative stated that if I wanted to file a formal complaint I could due so via the Direct TV website.

I have decided to file this formal complaint not just with Direct TV but also with the District Attorney's office, the BBB and with Consumer Affairs. I will also be disputing any credit card charges that are imposed by Direct TV without my prior consent. I also find it disturbing that this is how a company would treat a good paying customer. After being told several times that my cancellation fee would be waived I hoped Direct TV would keep their word. Now I am being told different in order to be squeezed for more cash. I really hope someone at Direct TV will finally due what is right and waive my cancellation fee so I can move on.

Product or Service Mentioned: Directv Tv Service.

Comments

You also need to realize that just because you don't like them and you know one person who is upset with them, that does not make them a bad company. Also, you don't usually get to hear the good things about a company.

For example, this site does not have a place for compliments and you can only file a complaint with the BBB, no way to place a compliment.

One last thing, you never answered a question I made in a previous comment. Why should you not have to pay a cancellation fee, when you agreed to keep the service for whatever length of time, and you broke that agreement when you chose to move and because of that decision (which direct was not involved in) you couldn't keep Directv?

I can care less at this point. Direct tv knows they dropped the ball in my case and waived my fee.

I'm almost done with this situation, enjoy your DTV I guess.

Just yesterday a co worker was complaining about direct tv and how he is just counting down the days of his contract. So you have to understand that there are plenty of people who don't file with the BBB but are unhappy & just put up with it.

I like how you mention that you think the majority wouldn't agree with me. I'd like to counter that.

The BBB has a registered almost 42,000 complaints. Directv has almost 20 million customers. Those BBB complaints are less than .5% of Directv customers.

Not even a full percent. I think most people would disagree with you

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter, but I don't think the majority of people would agree with "jackson" just look at DTV's history. The class action lawsuits against them and their F and D ratings with the BBB.

There are way too many complaint blogs and bad ratings about the company for it to be reputable.

Also that 2 year contract that they never mention until after they install the service and give you the contract to read. All I know is that I will never get involved with this company again and will advise everyone I know to do the same.

No I do not work for Directv, but I am a fan and am tired if seeing people try to rip them, as well as other reputable companies, when Directv is not at fault.

The bottom line is if you agree to keep a service for any length of time and you fail to meet that obligation based on your own decisions ( I am assuming Directv didnt force them to move) why should you not have to pay the cancellation fee?

Yea "jackson" must be one of them. Actually I was contacted by a rep from the BBB and by directtv.

They decided to waive my fee, but I'm still waiting for my return kit. Hope this end well, I know they like to charge fees on late returns.

Jackson, do you work for DirecTV? There are numerous reasons why they can't successfully install the dish - local zoning codes or HOA rules that specifically limit height and location, come to mind, and if you read the origianl complaint, you'd notice "limitations on height" were the landlord's main concern.

In those situations, the consumer is not obligated to provide clear access to the signal, nor are they technically capable of knowing or guaranteeing that an allowed position for the dish will succeed.

It's probably easier to just pay the peckerheads, but that doesn't make it an obligation.

in many cases it is easy to tell if an install will be successful from a specific location since the dish has to point to the south west sky without any obstructions. Also you could have asked for a second opinion.

Now Direct will waive the cancellation fee if you move to a location that they service but are unable to obtain a quality signal regardless of where the dish was placed. Since your landlord placed restrictions on the installation the technician would have noted it as such when he cancelled the order. Since there were restrictions you would not qualify for a waiver of the cancellation fee. And since you agreed to fulfill a certain time of service, which you now can't a cancellation fee applies and is totally valid.

The technician and agent who said the cancellation fee would be waived most likely just lied to avoid confrontation. While that is not good customer service, it doesn't absolve you from your agreement. Pay the fee and move on.

#320879

So what was the end result for you? Did you end up paying out all the charges?

#320849

In all probility DTV tells the technicians what to put on his report so you will be charged.DTV is out for Money any way they can get it and you can't believe a word they tell you.If they have not debited your credit card,you could cancel it or wait till they debit the card and then dispute the charges but be aware that the charges probably will be returned to your card at the end of the investigation and you will have to pay.Hopefully the BBB or consumer affairs or the District attorney will answer but in all probility the chances are slim to none,they get thousands and thousands of complaints about DTV.The best advice I could give you is to fight this yourself go to ehow.com and copy/paste : "HowtoCancelDirectTVService&Stop,Avoid orreverseEarlyCancellationFee" This happened to me too they were trying to charge$480 early cancellation fees+$475 for nonreturned equipment on my card. if you will read and do what this guy tells you,you may have a chance of getting your money back if you decide to wait till after they debit your credit card.