I disputed a bill for roughly $210 for Early Termination. DTV continues to refer to a contract in which they say I agreed to pay the termination fee.

I was able to find a standard DTV contract, but I cannot find any such language. The length and small text size of the contract makes it is virtually impossible to read and comprehend. I did however find the following in a paragraph entitled Your Cancellation; If you cancel Service or change your Service package, you maybe subject to an Early Termination Fee if you agreed to a programming agreement with DIRECTV and have failed to maintain the required programming package for the required period of time. The contract does not contain any of the verbal agreements between me and their representative(s).

As always I took copious handwritten notes of these agreements in the hope I wouldn't need them. Unfortunately, now I am having trouble finding my notes and apparently DTV took none. I do not remember agreeing to a contract period and I tend to avoid them. As is normal for DTV they began to send me bills of ever-increasing amounts without warning not long after I started service.

It seemed as if I was spending large amounts of time speaking with them about the practice. I tried to reason with DTV explaining that from my perspective they broke any agreement we may have had by increasing the agreed upon monthly charges without notice to a level beyond affordability. Not long thereafter they sent the matter to a collection agency.

A rather large number of former DTV customers with virtually the same complaint as mine can be found online at various websites. This should help to validate my complaint.

User's recommendation: DIRECTV has a long history of treating customers unfairly. Look on-line for “DIRECTV Contract Complaints” or similar. Then, if you must, do all you can to avoid their traps and bullying.

Location: Vero Beach, Florida