Resolved
1.4
Coverage Area
Style and Design
Poster increased review rating.

Update by user Sep 21

Online chat with Tech Dept.

Update by user Sep 21

Believe it or not, they actually helped me, at least for this month. I am still unclear about next month though.

What happened is that they told me it was not a "billing" clerk who told me about the free equipment installing, but it was a "tech" person instead, thus I had to go through the Tech Dept. too. At least for this particular month, they did credit my acct. I'll have to keep a close eye on them next month October though to see if the charge will be added on next month.

The tech person told me it wouldn't.

So if it is, I know they are giving me the runaround once again. Only time will tell...

Update by user Sep 18

This wasn't a choice either. If it was, I would have gladly declined.

The Genie update is mandatory according to my present knowledge. In other words, I am led to believe the extra $39.01 per month will be permanent from now on. I cannot afford it, and even if I could, I would drop DirectV and AT&T because of the principle involved.

That's no way to treat loyal 13 year customers. It really isn't.

Update by user Sep 18

i meant the old receiver, while not as new tech wise, seemed to actually perform better in bad weather than the updated Genie.

Original review posted by user Sep 18

I just had an updated Genie placed in last month. Both DirectV and the man installing my new Genie told me that there would only be an extra monthly fee if a separate extra receiver was added.

Guess what? I just checked my bill today, since it is time for the payment, and I found an extra $39.01 was added to my bill this month.

Sadly, this is not just a one-time fee either, this fee will be added every single month.

Needless to say, I will be forced to drop my services with DirectV and AT&T especially if this issue is not resolved. I cannot afford this extra charge.

Even if I could, I would not pay it. I have been a loyal customer of DirectV since 2005.

I figured DirectV would go downhill when AT&T took over.

And the new Genie seems like to me goes bad even when there is just a little bit of rain. The old one, while not as new, actually did a tad better in bad weather believe it or not, and even it wasn't perfect.

And I don't think it will, judging from my talk with the customer service representative today. He did everything in his power to justify the charge. He couldn't. He seemed like he "admitted" I had a good point. He just wouldn't say it.

He kind of inferred it was a "connection" fee (he used a term I couldn't understand, and I am even a tech person myself). And this charge is every single month too.

I will either sign up for Dish or Shentel (my local company) if this is issue is not resolved, and unlike my past situations, I am not positive this particular one will be.

I knew DirectV would go downhill when AT&T took over.

Well, they just probably lost a 13 year loyal customer.

And for a new Genie, the service in poor weather is actually arguably worse believe it or not.

We shall see. Only time will tell.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

I didn't like: Deceptive fraudulent billing practices.

Comments