Pleasanton, California
1.1K views 24 comments

Beware of the DirecTV (DTV) Whole Home DVR Service.Make sure they provide you with the required HD Receivers for each room.

DTV sold me their Whole Home DVR Service and told me that I would be able to watch recorded programs from any of the four rooms in my house. Since the HD Receiver was in my room, I did not know that they had installed incompatible standard receivers in the other rooms. They installed one DVR in the living room, one HD Receiver in my room and two standard Receivers in the remaining rooms. The one HD Receiver works with the DVR and can share recorded media but the standard receivers cannot--they lied to me to get me to buy the service.

When I discovered this issue, I contacted them. After speaking with a customer service rep and getting nowhere fast, I asked to speak to a Supervisor. This did not get me any further. The Supervisor immediately told me that since the system was installed more the 14 days ago, he could not do anything to resolve the issue and I would have to pay $199.00 for another HD DVR and $99.00 for another HD receiver.

I pointed out that according to the DTV advertisement, one DVR is supposed to be able to be shared by up to 15 TVs and asked why two more HD receivers would not work.

The Supervisor insisted that it would not work and that it is ridiculous to think that 15 TVs could share one DVR.At this point, I am a very unhappy DirecTV customer as I feel that I was lied to in order to buy their product which does not work as they advertise.

Review about: Whole House Dvr Scam.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE
Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Directv?

Submit review

Comments

TrulyRoxie
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States #653993
I signed up online, called with a question, and have had no problems. I have two HD DVRs and 2 HD receivers. Everything works great and has now for 6 months.
MaryO
Just wait until the acces card stops working ( mine lasted 3 weeks) they will get you a new one in a week! Until then none of your TV's work. This is the worst system ever! They were a great company until recently. I think they have a new CEO. He must be a Walmart reject!
cableguy
DirecTV does a lot of crazy deals but when it comes down to it you get 1 advanced equipment and the rest standard equipment usually up to 4 rooms . 1 receiver controls 1 TV unless you attach an mirror to split it off. And if you wasn't happy with it or they promised something else other than what you got why wait 14 day later? I'm sure they would of corrected the problem if called sooner. If you have the contract they gave you look it over and if you got something different take it to an lawyer.
jb
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States #614123
all of you are idiots , you need 1 dvr and 1 client box for each tv , whole home works great , no problems record from any room , pause , ff , rewind from any room .
Cody
You guys are a bunch of clowns. DirecTV is the best television service out there, it works the best and has all the best perks and latest technology. If your too *** too understand how it all works than thats your fault, don't blame DirecTV. I ordered DirecTV whole home DVR and I ordered a HD receiver to go with my DVR because it said very clearly on the website that you need a HD receiver. I love my DirecTV service and I actually know something about this stuff, I don't just call up and say i need receivers for 5 rooms so give me whatever. Clowns. DirecTV is number 1 in customer satisfaction so clearly you clowns are the only ones having issues.
Broke Foot
DirecTV called me with a FREE DVR offer. My service is expiring in June 2012, so they said sign up for 24 months and I would get a free whole house DVR system, with just one dollar a month extra over what I was paying now. Of course this was a lie. When the monthly bill arrived it was 31 dollars a month higher, and the whole house DVR was just a three month trial. Then if I didn't cancel it would go up more. Of course only the HD receivers work, and everything else they offer is a complete lie. Now I'm stuck with 24 additional months of the original service I had minus one receiver which they took when installing the DVR! This company is beyond crooked!
Erik
REALLY? Everyone on this thread deserves what they got. Do you research technology before you purchase our just "trust" the company? If you just blindly trust every salesman, I have some beachside property in Nevada to sell you. You CANNOT record in one format (HD) and watch it on another receiver in a different format. You cannot pause-rewind-ff shows on a receiver that doesn't have the capability to record because where would the "live" video feed go to while you pause it; it must be recorded. If you would simply record the live show you're watching, you would've enabled the ability to pause-rewind-ffand then simply delete it when you're done.
I've been with DirecTV for 11 years and have had a few problems but they were all rectified by the CSR because I did my research before I called demanding how I wanted them to resolve my issue. And they gave me what I wanted in order to keep my business, contract or not.
Dan
No problems with Whole Home DVR for us on 3 TVs. I just did a little research and asked some specific questions. Or maybe it's because I did it all on their web site, so no one "lied" to me because I could see right there on the screen that I was ordering all HD equipment and it warned me in colored text if my equipment wasn't all compatible.

Any dummy should know an SD receiver isn't going to be able to view HD content. But if you are relying on a person over the phone it may not be obvious which equipment you're getting, and they may be trying to get you a special package deal or something ***.

2 HD DVRs and one HD receiver installed, but the first installer didn't put in a SWM. I called them up and since the service was supposed to include all equipment required for the whole home, they came out the next day and installed the SWM and it all just works great.

It does suck that you can't pause live TV on the receiver, but that makes sense, since how could it record the show? It has no drive in it. Anyway, if you pay attention and get your order together online where you can see everything in writing, it's no problem.
Ed
I was promised 3 times that Whole-Home Service would work, and it turned out to be a scam -- they won't do business clients (even though it's for a private residence within the company).

What a crock. Complaints filed with FCC and BBB. I urge all to do likewise.
Sherrie
I was lied to as well. They told me i would be able to record in both den and living room, and watch in any of the three bedrooms. The truth is: I can only record on the den, and watch in one bedroom or living room. The other two bedrooms are not compatible. Whole House DVR? Whoever named this concept should be fired.